PDA

View Full Version : Second Attempt

cypher
14th October 2006, 03:52 PM
Well after my first attempt at this piece turned out to be a disaster.
http://www.woodturningonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536&highlight=strikes
This is what's left of the first one.
http://home.comcast.net/~eric.m.dyck/images/bustedvessel.jpg
Here is the second attempt.
http://home.comcast.net/~eric.m.dyck/images/newgallery/MiniPot1.jpg

ss_11000
14th October 2006, 04:07 PM
looks great. nice form IMO.

tashammer
14th October 2006, 04:22 PM
i DO like that, it is really appealing Does the pattern have any significance?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, i prefer the second pic to the first as i am not really into kit forms thanks :D

Brainwave:

a rod that could be fixed to the tailstock or used manually, on the end of it a ball-shaped piece of foam covered with abrasive (like those foam sanding blocks only round or what ever shape one needs. Perhaps the foam could be the sort that allows you to coat it in adhesive then dip the shape into loose abrasive particles - like a toffee apple. Let it dry. Then use.

Could use different densities of foam according to need that is light finishing or heavy removal of stock.

Maybe have a kit of regular foam shapes and sizes.

The thing is that the foam ought to be soft enough to squeeze through the opening or neck (if it has one) and then expand. The expansion will give you far greater coverage than if the abrasive was fastened to a hard surface or a scraper.

Has it been done? Am i 40 years too late?

BobL
14th October 2006, 04:39 PM
Now that is what I call an improvement!!!!

I really like the pattern too, it has a bit woven feel to it - is that how it is supposed to look?

tashammer
14th October 2006, 04:47 PM
Now that is what I call an improvement!!!!

I really like the pattern too, it has a bit woven feel to it - is that how it is supposed to look?

For me, the pattern is very reminiscent of some Native American patterns. In fact some of those patterns would lend themselves to segmental turning but is always a good idea to check and see if the pattern has some religious or spiritually significant meaning to whatever tribes the pattern originated with. Unlike many wasichu who don't seem to care as long as it either looks nice and/or sells e.g. Native American style dreamcatchers being made in foreign countries and by non-Native Americans.

hughie
15th October 2006, 01:28 AM
Oh, i prefer the second pic to the first as i am not really into kit forms thanks :D

Yeah me too, dont have the patience for it....:D

Has it been done? Am i 40 years too late

Dunno 'bout 40yrs. But I do something very similar for my inside sanding

cypher
15th October 2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I really never noticed the woven pattern look. It seems to show more in the picture then in hand.

i totally forgot to put in the wood and size. So here you go. It is made of Primavera, Walnut, and has a curly maple plug on the bottom. It is 4.5" tall and 6" diameter.

OGYT
15th October 2006, 09:00 AM
Cypher, you have my admiration. I don't have the patience for segmented turning. Looks like you've got it down! Well done. I do like that pattern, with the dark wood on the lower portion. Gives it stability.