PDA

View Full Version : New Workshop - Work In Progress

HappyHammer
14th October 2006, 05:09 PM
The builders have constructed my new garage which will be my workshop once complete. It's approx. 4.3m wide x 9m long and 2.6m ceiling height.

There will be a garage door at one end and a sliding glass door at the back which you can see in picture attached leaning against the wall.

The electrician is putting in the wiring at the moment and to begin with I'm just putting in 4 double sockets up on the wall. I read heaps about bench height on the forum and I think mine will be somewhere between 900mm and 950mm high so I'll have the double sockets put about 1100mm off of the floor to give plenty of clearance for the bench. Does this sound about right?

In the picture taken from the front you can see a window on the left, this is the existing single garage and the window will be removed and the wall cut down to the ground so that there is easy access between the two garages.

I'll post more pictures as it progresses.

HappyHammer
14th October 2006, 05:20 PM
This is my existing garage which explains why I need another one and also why I haven't posted any completed projects.:o

HH.

Auld Bassoon
14th October 2006, 06:41 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks like you REALLY need that new shed - have fun :)

Wongo
14th October 2006, 11:20 PM
Or a complete makeover:eek:

johnc
14th October 2006, 11:59 PM
Good grief Happy is that a garage or a death trap in the last picture, I'd be afraid that stepping in there would need a GPS and map so you can find your way out. Will look forward to seeing later posts of what you do with the new shed.

John

HappyHammer
16th October 2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah I know it's a real pain when all I want is a particular spanner or pair of pliers, but only a couple of weeks to go and I'll have room to spread out.:D :D

HH.

Bleedin Thumb
16th October 2006, 01:03 PM
Yeh yeh,
How long before the new looks like the old eh?:p

I cleaned up my shed 2 or 3 weeks ago, it took 2 whole days (including the obligitory leaning and stareing/ discovering old lost tools etc) now its almost back to normal!:o

Auld Bassoon
16th October 2006, 06:01 PM
Yeh yeh,
How long before the new looks like the old eh?:p

I cleaned up my shed 2 or 3 weeks ago, it took 2 whole days (including the obligitory leaning and stareing/ discovering old lost tools etc) now its almost back to normal!:o
:D :D :D :D

HappyHammer
17th March 2007, 01:10 PM
Here are some pics of the new shed (garage), it's about half finished I still have two benches and some wall cupboards to build and it will be pretty much how I want it. It's come on a bit since the empty shell in my original post.

HH.

HappyHammer
17th March 2007, 01:12 PM
As you can see it's had a positive affect on my original garage as well:U

HH.

HappyHammer
17th March 2007, 01:15 PM
This is a wood rack and bench I've just completed. I'm thinking of seting the SCMS permanently onto the bench and fixing supports to the left and right, any tips on positioning middle, left or right or ideas on how to construct the supports I want to incorporate a tape and a stop.

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 03:15 PM
Oi how about some suggestions on whether I should bother with an extended timber guide with stop........

HH.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th March 2007, 03:27 PM
I'd set the tape/stops to the right of the blade and just use std. rollers for the LH side. Admittedly, this'd limit the length you can cut, but how often do you need to cut a lot of long lengths? Anyway, if that was a real concern you would not have put the SCMS where it is!

And you could still cut longer lengths, (unless you're using really long stock) by working to the left of the blade, you'd just have to measure by hand instead of using the stop system.

I have seen a system where a bloke had a bench on castors that he'd roll up & clamp to either side of his normal setup, depending on what he was doing, with tapes to "continue on" from the end of the permanent setup. But I've always doubted the accuracy of such a setup and consider it more a case of one-upmanship than practicality. :rolleyes:

Bleedin Thumb
18th March 2007, 03:28 PM
It doesn't look like you have any room left for that new router - better send it this way.:D

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 03:43 PM
It doesn't look like you have any room left for that new router - better send it this way.:D

Nice try mate but I have a Triton in my Router Table and was thinking of using the new one for freehand stuff, but it's a big beast so might swap with the Triton, here's a picture of it in the nice new box it came in.

HH.

HappyHammer
18th March 2007, 03:47 PM
I'd set the tape/stops to the right of the blade and just use std. rollers for the LH side. Admittedly, this'd limit the length you can cut, but how often do you need to cut a lot of long lengths? Anyway, if that was a real concern you would not have put the SCMS where it is!

I was thinking the same Skew. I think I'll bolt it in where it is, to the left of centre on the bench, which gives me enough room to cut legths just over 2.5m to the right of the blade.

HH.

HappyHammer
19th March 2007, 02:48 PM
Bump to show off new workshop still WIP and recent Router win.:B

Thanks Carbatec...

HH.

Rossluck
20th March 2007, 07:21 PM
It's amazing how quickly these shed's fill up. Mine's a 6m X 12m, and now seems really small and full. Maybe I have too many tools...no, now that I think about it I need a bigger shed and more tools.:wink:

journeyman Mick
20th March 2007, 07:58 PM
It's amazing how quickly these shed's fill up. Mine's a 6m X 12m, and now seems really small and full. Maybe I have too many tools...no, now that I think about it I need a bigger shed and more tools.:wink:

Well, once you get rid of that monster edgebander you'll have about 6m2 extra.:; :U :U

Mick

Wild Dingo
25th March 2007, 02:06 PM

Ive got the same problem :doh: Funny that eh? :C I still reckon if you pay for n buy a 6x9 shed they should give you another say half the size you paid for ie: 3x6 shed cause you bought your shed from them :o great idea I reckon :roll: ... I mean they'd sell more sheds right? be pretty happy wouldnt you :2tsup: :2tsup: ... and that would be pretty good customer service eh? :; no bad reps on here!! :U :U

ooh congrats HH :2tsup:

oooh an the fact that Id then have a mighty 9x15 shed would be a bonus!! :U in about 6 months Id be back ordering another 6x9 + 3x6 :roll: :U :2tsup:

Caliban
9th April 2007, 09:46 PM
Shane
that's the shortest and most stright forward post I've ever deciphered from you.
Are you off the turps?:oo: :oo: :oo:
Good idea about the shed though. Are you reading this Mr Ranbuild?

Wild Dingo
10th April 2007, 01:44 AM
Shane
that's the shortest and most stright forward post I've ever deciphered from you.
Are you off the turps?:oo: :oo: :oo:
Good idea about the shed though. Are you reading this Mr Ranbuild?

ooohhh the agony!! I never was on the turps mate... I know ive heard mixed with a little lemon essense its meant to taste sorta a bit less than retchingly vomitlike fire... but Ive never been on it!!! beer yep rum yep but turps?? not I he cried!! :~

Yes indeed the more I think on it the more I like it... mainly its got merit cause Im plannin on a 60mtr x 20mtr shed for the next one mmmm ooooh yeah think of the shed then eh?? :2tsup: gawd talk about drool over here!! oops gotta go get the moppin up towel agaion :B

Harry72
10th April 2007, 03:04 AM
A 60x20m shed shhhhhesssshh dont do things by halves Ding!
Dam thats like 190'x65'... surely you didnt mean 60'x20'?

Wild Dingo
10th April 2007, 12:11 PM
yeah well... I mean... aaahhh... uuummm... well I have these you know... eerrrr delusions sometimes :B

But brother!!! THINK ON IT!!! Whatabloodyshed!!! :2tsup: combine that with the seatainer an shed already got an the second one that would come with it (if they gave a half size shed at the same time) man mate even I would have some issues filling it!! :U But can you say... tool shopping? timber spree?? :U :U