PDA

View Full Version : 2yew1walnut

bikerboy
15th October 2006, 03:22 AM
had some off cuts from sorting a branch or two from the garden,so,turned up a walnut bowl,and two yew bowls, ok they are very small,sort'a 5*2, but it was kind'a fun to think that they should last longer than my grandkids.
The wood has been in the shed for a over a year,and I think that they have turned out ok.
And the odd one out is me hav'in a track day..lol....just though it might make some'a you ow boys have a laff,and some thing different,hope ya don't mind....

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 04:14 AM
5x2? That's a nice usable size. A wee tad larger would be nice, but they're not small by a long shot. Now, 3x1, that's getting too small. :rolleyes:

Love the Yew, it came out well. But I've got this thing for Yew anyway. ;)

OGYT
15th October 2006, 09:05 AM
Well done, Biker Boy. Like the bike! But the bowls are what this is all about, isn't it. I like them too. I especially like the heavy one with the rounded depression. Is Yew hard wood? I've heard of it, but I've never seen any of it.
Also, is that Walnut the same as Claro Walnut?
How'd the race turn out?
Just full of questions today....

ptc
15th October 2006, 09:27 AM
Is that Ern Chasing You.?
Look out for Yellow Bikes !

hughie
15th October 2006, 10:32 AM
had some off cuts from sorting a branch or two from the garden,so,turned up a walnut bowl,and two yew bowls, ok they are very small,sort'a 5*2, but it was kind'a fun to think that they should last longer than my grandkids.
The wood has been in the shed for a over a year,and I think that they have turned out ok.

Off cuts are off cuts, they look fine. I like the colour, nice job squire :D

And the odd one out is me hav'in a track day..lol....just though it might make some'a you ow boys have a laff,and some thing different,hope ya don't mind

I dont think so, a lot of us have had or continue to have bikes.............:D I think Ern is gaining on you........lol :D

Auld Bassoon
15th October 2006, 08:47 PM
But I've got this thing for Yew anyway. ;)

Any ideas where one can source some furniture grade (and size!) Yew here in Melbourne (or Aus)?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 09:03 PM
Any ideas where one can source some furniture grade (and size!) Yew here in Melbourne (or Aus)?

Sorry, Steve, not unless you're taking up making miniatures. The only sources of Yew I know of are all turning suppliers.

DanP
16th October 2006, 11:23 AM
Try AFT.

Auld Bassoon
16th October 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks Dan,

I use them, but hadn't seen any Yew.

rsser
18th October 2006, 05:16 PM
Hey BikerBoy, track day looks good! What are you riding? {Edit: hmm, looks v. familiar}

Will be signing up for my first at Phillip Island soon - but then we have our every Sunday 'Isle of Man TT' equivalent around where I live.

Yew ... trad cemetery tree in English churchyards. Downunder we let the deceased get sunburned :rolleyes:

bikerboy
19th October 2006, 02:48 AM
Hey BikerBoy, track day looks good! What are you riding? {Edit: hmm, looks v. familiar}

Will be signing up for my first at Phillip Island soon - but then we have our every Sunday 'Isle of Man TT' equivalent around where I live.

Yew ... trad cemetery tree in English churchyards. Downunder we let the deceased get sunburned :rolleyes:
hi'up rsser, the bike is honda vfr vtec 800,the track was on an air field,bloody great big run off's,one ow boy on a bmw, came off just to the right of me when he got the pots decked out....phillip island should be good you lucky man, anyway, mus'unt go on about bikes on here m8, I might get a kick'in..lol...lol...

rsser
20th October 2006, 05:03 PM
BB, we're pretty obsessed down here about turning, but also sometimes we're allowed to trot out our other obsessions ;-}

I ride a Fireblade as you can see from my avatar.

I did test ride a pre-vtec VFR before buying the last bike which was a Trumpy Sprint ST - not quite the best of British engineering :rolleyes: . Wrote it off in a slow speed slide down tarmac coated in sand.

The 'blade is awesome; poised, comfy, well built. A hoot to ride.