PDA

View Full Version : 1 out of 2 OK

dai sensei
15th October 2006, 07:21 PM
After scoring the cedar last weekend :cool: I couldn’t resist turning something out of it. I took the piece that had the chainsaw tooth in it to turn a platter ~350mm dia. I roughed out the base with a spigot and it was looking pretty good, apart from a lot of large cracks that originated from the sapwood:mad: . They did not go all the way to the edges, nor full depth, so I though with a bit of resin it might survive:rolleyes: .

I also had a bowl I had green turned from the Swamp Mahogany. I had soaked it in the 50/50 metho detergent mix for 3 weeks and dried it for 3 weeks and it had dried out Ok, but the mix didn’t stop it cracking:mad: . It too had extensive cracks, but not extending all the way.

During the week I set about filling the cracks ready for this weekend. The rot on the cedar had started to set in, so I used a router bit in my dremmel to remove it back to solid timber, before filling it with black resin over 6 casts (due to the shape). I also filled the cracks in the SM bowl with clear resin over 4 casts.

Today I started with the SM bowl and all was fine until I started to sand. I had finished the outside to 1200 and was slowly getting down the grits on the inside when the whole thing started to open up along the crack lines:eek: . When I stopped the lathe I also found numerous new smaller cracks:( . Luckily I was only sanding at 900rpm so it didn’t explode:rolleyes: . I filled the cracks with CA and thought I’d do the cedar bowl while the CA got to full strength.

Put the cedar bowl onto the Vicmarc and started to form the inside of the bowl. It was all going nicely:cool: , so I cranked the speed up a touch to 1600 and watched the shavings fly:D . Then all of a sudden bang:eek: , and before I could say WFT was that:confused: , another larger bang :eek: :eek: followed by something hitting me in my shield. I hit the floor and was then showered with a mixture of shavings, dust and broken glass:o .

The first bang was a large slice on one side of the crack separating from the platter. The second bang was the remaining platter, because it was out of balance, separating from the spigot. Apart from hitting me, it also took out my light showering me in glass:mad: .

As you can see from the photos, I obviously didn’t get rid of all the rotten bits:o and the resin just couldn’t stick:mad: . All it took was to get to the critical thickness combined with the speed of the lathe to give way:rolleyes: . I decided to give up on the platter idea and use what was left for pen blanks;) .

After a quick cupper to settle the nerves:o , I got stuck back into the SM bowl. I managed to sand it gently at a slow speed back to 1200 and apply Shellewax, EEE and Glow before it was time to nock off:cool: . I was glad to see it didn’t come apart. Just have to turn off the spigot now and finish the bottom. I’ll put it in my donut bowl holder, so should be no risk of coming apart:rolleyes: .

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 07:32 PM
I roughed out the base with a spigot and it was looking pretty good, apart from a lot of large cracks that originated from the sapwood:mad: . They did not go all the way to the edges, nor full depth, so I though with a bit of resin it might survive:rolleyes:

This is where I use CA liberally... I splash it over each'n'every perceived crack, large and fine, as well as sealing the edges of any crack I've cleaned rot ro sap out of. It helps so "unify" anything I might've missed, before filling with resin. :)

The Swamp mahogany bowl has come up a treat, lovely finish!

dai sensei
15th October 2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks Skew.

I actually used heaps of CA on the cracks before rough turning the base. Asking a bit much to glue to rotten wood I guess.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, there are limits to everything. It's always a PITA when the fatal flaw is something you thought you had covered, but better it went while roughing than the first time soneone dropped it after finishing, I guess.

Small consolation, I know, but it's all I got. [sigh]

ss_11000
15th October 2006, 08:35 PM
at least you got one done. and that one looks awesome, spectacular finish IMO.

hughie
16th October 2006, 12:50 AM
Dai,

It seems that this is one of the occupational hazards.... :o sorta comes with the territory. I try...plan to have them few and far between.:D Just gotta work on my planning skills now :D

Still my CA skills are on the up and up:D The Swamp Mahogany came up real good, nice job.

TTIT
16th October 2006, 01:02 AM
Bugga! That would be a hard one to save :( - but at least one worked out for you Neil. Nice job.:)

OGYT
16th October 2006, 01:41 AM
Neil, I think you'd need to soak the whole chunk in CA to save that! Just be glad the thing didn't maim you.
The other... well, that's a different story, alright. Well done. I really like the shape of that one, with the undercut lip, and finish.
One outa two... that's 50% win. Better than some pro teams. :o)