PDA

View Full Version : Domino sliding Dovetails

Flowboy
16th October 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi all,

I think I have a way of making sliding dovetails using the Domino. If I'm right, you will know the angle and depth of the trough and thus be able to make the slide quickly and accurately, possibly without needing to check tightness of fit first.
If anyone has done this already, or has some ideas, please let me know.
Lignum, I know you hate them and will say why? And I'll say because I have way too much time on my hands.

Regards

Rob

Lignum
16th October 2006, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

Lignum, I know you hate them and will say why?

Rob, you must have me confussed with someone else:D I love "sliding dovetails" i just hate dovetailed drawers (except of course hand cut dovies which i love)
Im real interested in how you are going to do this :confused: Be quick with the pics

Powertoolman
18th October 2006, 06:05 PM
Sliding Dovetails.....???

Yes Rob, you do have too much time on your hands :D, but I am anxiously waiting to hear what idea you have come up with. I am getting a headache trying to figure out how you would do this.

Don't keep us in suspense too long, because my head might explode trying to figure this out:eek:. Hurry up with the pics.

Flowboy
19th October 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
This is the first attempt on some pretty ordinary timber, with no real precise support for the domi plate, using a 5mm cutter at an 8 degree angle to a depth of 12mm. I would expect that the base could be flattened quite a bit by running a cutter, not sure which yet, straight down. This may widen the mouth as well. See what you think, at least I gave it a go.

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
19th October 2006, 06:58 PM
Nice idea Rob, but I'm thinking that for longish transverse cuts with a given set on angles (ie + and - 6 ~ 8deg) is better accomplised with either a hand or an electric router.

Domi is good, but why try and make her do unrealistic things?

Flowboy
20th October 2006, 07:03 AM
Hi Steve,

You kow I was cutting that mortise and thinking, why am I not using a router?
So, I agree with you on the count of the sliding dovetails, but with regard to trying new things, it's my nature to push the envelope. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but I now have a better idea of whether this idea has a place or not. If we didn't think outside the box, we'd still be using the Domino as the factory intended, with no added flexibility, such as Rocker, Lignum and PTM have come up with to actually enhance their specific needs. So, I guess that's why I do inane things sometimes.:) :D

Regards

Rob

Lignum
20th October 2006, 10:05 AM
Win some, lose some. At the end of the day you have to push it to the limits. Good on you for trying even if it dint work like you thought it might have. ;)

Auld Bassoon
20th October 2006, 06:43 PM
I agree with Lignum. Good on you Rob for trying. I'm sure that there a lot more creative ideas yet to flow from this group on how to maximise Domi's, err, Domination! :D

BTW Heaps of folks at the Festool stand at the WWW show looking longingly at Domi! You could almost sense many of them checking their wallets :D :D

Lignum
20th October 2006, 06:59 PM
BTW Heaps of folks at the Festool stand at the WWW show looking longingly at Domi! You could almost sense many of them checking their wallets :D :D

What was the Domi Demo like? Was the Demo Dude giving it heaps. Hope so

Groggy
20th October 2006, 07:27 PM
You could almost sense many of them checking their wallets :D :DAhh yesss, the Domino affect, it hit us one after the other ;) . I felt it too, you must have been nearby.

What was the Domi Demo like? Was the Demo Dude giving it heaps. Hope soHe did a very good job of it. He sold me on it. One of the things I like about the Domino and Festool in general is the use of simple principles to achieve the aim. No fancy measuring devices, just simple stops.

If one of you guys goes on holidays and needs a domino sitter . . . :rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
21st October 2006, 07:26 PM
Ahh yesss, the Domino affect, it hit us one after the other ;) . I felt it too, you must have been nearby.

He did a very good job of it. He sold me on it. One of the things I like about the Domino and Festool in general is the use of simple principles to achieve the aim. No fancy measuring devices, just simple stops.

Good try Greg!

Out with the plastic! Once bitten, there is NO antidote :D :D :D

Auld Bassoon
21st October 2006, 07:32 PM
Ahh yesss, the Domino affect, it hit us one after the other ;) . I felt it too, you must have been nearby.

He did a very good job of it. He sold me on it. One of the things I like about the Domino and Festool in general is the use of simple principles to achieve the aim. No fancy measuring devices, just simple stops.

Another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust...(excuses to Queen :) ) Or is that joins the club?

Greg; admit it, you're done for, Domi wise :D :D