PDA

View Full Version : Combo Planers

meerkat
17th October 2006, 12:24 PM
G'day,

I'm looking at getting a combo (for space reasons) and leaning towards the ML390 (8").

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Andrew

jmk89
17th October 2006, 01:23 PM
G'day,

I'm looking at getting a combo (for space reasons) and leaning towards the ML390 (8").

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew

That machine is the subject of Gumby's video on using a thicknesser and jointer. So it would be worth your while having a look at the video.

The link is here (go to post #2):
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35496

Cheers

Jeremy

Gumby
17th October 2006, 04:07 PM
It's actually an ML 392. :)

As well as the video, there's these threads:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=23864&highlight=392

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=14610&highlight=392

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=24931&highlight=392

meerkat
18th October 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys, still downloading the video.

I'm not sure (apart from the extra couple of inches that we would all like :eek:) what make the 392 double the price of the 390.:confused:

What I mean is why would I go for the 392 over the 390 ?

Gumby
18th October 2006, 10:24 AM
While I haven't seen one in the flesh, the 390 looks like a kid's toy.

The 392 is a machine. It's also 10" and has bigger infeed and outfeed tables.

MurrayD99
18th October 2006, 02:42 PM
It probably depends on what you are planning to put through it (thicknesser cutting width) and what lengths you will be working with (table length). If you are never going to put anything wider than 8 x 1 through it, and if you generally joint shorter pieces....

I have a Scheppach HM2 combi - which is a better-than-OK thicknesser but a poor jointer because the tables are short and unstable. I think you'll end up buying dedicated machines - might be better to do it now

Gumby
18th October 2006, 03:53 PM
Meerkat,

I don't know what part of Melb you are in but I'm in Upper Ferntree Gully. You are welcome to come around and have a play with mine.
(the ML392 that is) :D

meerkat
18th October 2006, 05:09 PM
Meerkat,

I don't know what part of Melb you are in but I'm in Upper Ferntree Gully. You are welcome to come around and have a play with mine.
(the ML392 that is) :D

aaawww only the ML392???:p:D

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Hoppers Crossing. I doubt if I could get there before the show but the vid certainly helped.

ok if you had the space, would you get dedicated machines ?

and if so what would you get ?

Thanks
Andrew

Gumby
18th October 2006, 05:50 PM
ok if you had the space, would you get dedicated machines ?

and if so what would you get ?

Thanks
Andrew

now you start a whole new ball game and others will jump in. :)
If I had the space and I wasn't worried about over capitalising my woodworking tools, yes, I'd have dedicated machines. Just for the convenience for starters. Not having to change modes would be nice.

But I don't have that space for one thing and I certainly don't do enough woodwork or do it well enough like many in here do, to justify a couple grand for what I'd really like. I'm just happy stuffing around on a Saturday, listening to the footy, making a box or bookcase and turning off from the world. It certainlt doesn't warrant the extra outlay for me. I don't have the skill, the patience or the inclination to get too serious about this hobby. It's just a nice passtime. So I figure a combo which takes 10" boards, does the job pretty well, and is around the $900 mark is exactly what I want.

If I was to go dedicated, then a minimum 8" jointer like the Jet would be nice. And a 12" thicknesser seems to be the standard. But I always wonder why you need a 12" thicknesser when you only have an 8" jointer.

MurrayD99
19th October 2006, 06:22 AM
"... why you need a 12" thicknesser when you only have an 8" jointer."

Face v edge Gumby. You'd generally dress a piece of rough-sawn 6 x 1. say, through the thicknesser, then clean up one edge on the jointer, then gauge it on a ripsaw - than once more over the jointer and it is all done. I don't think I have ever dressed a face of anything on the jointer. Hence 6" jointer is heaps for me - though the 8' jolinters tend to have longer tables and that is a plus, plus. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->