PDA

View Full Version : How To Spuce Up Wooden Blinds?

Metal Head
17th October 2006, 05:35 PM
Hi,

Having nearly finished our bathroom project (bar some tiny finishing things to do). I refitted our wooden blind back in position but now noticed how grubby it's looking. So I have washed it with water - used Mr Sheen spray polish but so far no good. As you will hopefully see from the attachment is that the colour has dulled (I suppose due to the sunlight and occassional damp atmosphere of it being located in the bathroom:confused:).

So can anyone suggest any idea(s) that will help me to restore it to something like it was when we bought it brand new - if possible?.

Cheers
David (aka Metal Head)

gangnail
17th October 2006, 09:51 PM
you could try some cedar oil, put it on,let it soak in then polish it up
cooking oil works sometimes !
good luck.

ian
17th October 2006, 10:15 PM
It might be easier to buy a new blind

but if you want to refinish, the first thing you'll need to do is clean the slats with something (like lacquer thinner) that will remove the Mr Sheen otherwise the finish is unlikely to take.
Then I'd be looking to refinish teh slats with an oil stain

ian

savage
18th October 2006, 12:13 AM
G'Day David,
I suppose it all comes down to how good of a finish you want to have in the end, you said as new, to me that would mean disassembling the blind and a light sand with a fine paper. New cord and clean any other fittings as best as possible, maybe even paint any bit and pieces as you see fit. Then a coat of a flat or satin finish (I use Cabots polyurothane) a light rub with a green scouring pad or non-soap (plain) steel wool then another coat of Cabots. I am assuming it is a cedar blind, I did two coats on a cedar bathroom ceiling and it took several years of use, even when we sold the house it still looked great.
It will be time consuming but if you want as new look, that is what I would do!.....:)

Metal Head
18th October 2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks to Gangnail, Ian and Savage for your replies - much appreciated. It is true I did say to look as good as when it was bought new. However, I was hoping for a quick 7 easy fix (because I am a lazy bugger by nature) and given the time to rub down & varnish is too much hassle. I think I will try the dedar oil trick first and if that doesn't work I will just buy a new one.

Cheers
David

Btw, it should have read "spruce" not XCiuifi!!