PDA

View Full Version : adding a coolant tank

Oldhack
18th October 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a Hafco AL-320G lathe and Im looking to add a coolant tank and pump.
I have a few ideas but was wondering if anyone has done something similiar.

glock40sw
18th October 2006, 08:27 AM
G'day.
My mate bought a single phase coolant tank and pump from OZMESTORE1 on ebay.
He got the local cuts & bends to bend up a catch tray and splash back.
Where the hole in the tray for the cooland drain is, he placed a flyscreen mesh cover over the hole. Also cut the magnet out of an old speaker and placed it in front of the mesh to grab any swarf.

An on/off switch is mounted beside the lathe power switch.
Works great.

My 3 phase lathe came with coolant tank and pump as standard.

China
19th October 2006, 12:06 AM
H&F sell coolant tanks and pumps for a few hundred dollars

Oldhack
19th October 2006, 08:35 PM
if all but finished mine, use a water feature pump and a plastic storage container with a lid, the nossle and hose I got from H&F as theirs has a magnetic base.
all up its cost me about $70, id post up some pics but cant seem to figure out how.

scooter
19th October 2006, 09:01 PM
Gday Old, & welcome :)

To attach pics, first edit them on your computer - resize to about 800x600 pixels & compress to under 100k. JPEGs are usually the go.

Down below the text box when posting a reply, click on manage attachments, browse to each file on your computer (up to 5 per post), click upload pics, then when they show as uploaded, close window. Finish writing your post, then click submit post. Voila, your post is up with thumbnails of your images, others can click the images for full size.

Cheers..............Sean

soundman
19th October 2006, 09:32 PM
If you are feeling a bit scotish you could do what that had at school.

just above the head stock and to the rear they mounted the fuel tank of an old victa mower invented a hose and nozle arrangement.
the whole thing drained into the splash tray where a hose led to a large metal jug on the floor.
pull on the fuel tap for coolant.

when you run out... pour the jug back into the upper tank thru a filter funnel.

cheap & cheerfull
:D :D

Oldhack
21st October 2006, 08:58 PM
some pics of the completed job, although I'm thinking of adding a fish tank air pump to circulate the coolant, according to one of the U.S machining forums it will help prevent bactaria and the formation of tramp oil.

Oldhack
21st October 2006, 09:06 PM
one more,

all up this has cost me $90.00 to make including a litre of Soluble oil.

savage
21st October 2006, 10:02 PM
O.K. I know the reason for a coolant tank, to keep the cutting tip cool. My question is do I need a coolant tank for the Carbide tip being used these days?....(also the one's that I use).:confused:

As I have said before the last time I did any metal turning was back in school and we had the older type H.S.S. cutters.

cub3
22nd October 2006, 10:03 AM
oldhack,
That is a nice set up. Though a suggestion, slip some woven stainless sheathing over the supply tubing. When you start getting those blue chips flying around that plastic tube is going to cop a pizzling ;)

Eric,
Coolant not always used with modern indexable inserts though it can assist in keeping them sharper for longer. The coolant lubricates the cutting edge, cools workpiece (less cool down time for accurate measurements) flushes away chips (especially when boring) and is really a must for drilling and tapping :)

regards

Den

Metal Head
22nd October 2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Oldhack,

I agree with Den wholeheartedly in that is a great set up you have and the idea of the sheathing around the tube is an excellent idea. Although I suppose (depending on your budget) getting a thicker tube (that are used on other machinery) would be the way to go.

I wish all of the lathes I have used over the years, had your idea of a plastic encased system. Then I wouldn't have had to get all the crap i.e. little blue chips, out of the metal coolant tank.

Regards
David

Oldhack
22nd October 2006, 05:34 PM
thanx for the feedback re the supply tube may try and run it through some thing a little more robust.

anyone got any thoughts re the air pump for the coolant tank ???

cub3
22nd October 2006, 06:02 PM
Something more robust, yes but you only have a magnet to secure with and when the coolant throws up the rooster tail as it hits the chuck it is another reason to stand to the right. The easy flex especially with a magnet mount helps,

Aerator no idea but i do know that they stink after a while, the slime on top you don't want to know about!

Regards

Den

savage
22nd October 2006, 10:40 PM
Is there anything else that can be used instead of soluble oil, like maybe auto coolant (ethylene glycol)....?

China
22nd October 2006, 10:44 PM
If your coolant has started to stink it has gone and you should replace it the bactaria will damage your machines

Oldhack
23rd October 2006, 03:12 PM
according to the U.S forum, you coolant should last atleast a couple of years if you use an air pump as it stops the tramp oil from forming a skin on top of the coolant, which prevents the bacteria from forming.

and no you can't use auto type coolant, it's cooling properties are ok, but it has bugger all lubricating properties.

Oldhack
22nd June 2007, 09:47 PM
as mentioned above I have read that by aerating the coolant tank, you can stop you coolant going off ( turning into an alien life form).

for the last 12mnth or so I have been using a fish tank aerator, and it seems to work fine providing I dont over fill my tank (more than half way).
this is a problem as I also use the my coolant tank setup for my mill aswell. Unfortunately it doesnt have a return to the main tank (I'm to lazy to try and design one), so with the coolant tank only half full I have to continually refill it with the recycled coolant.

So I in need to think of a better way to aerate or ciculate the coolant to prevent it from skining.

was thinking of adding a three way tap set up, so I can run the main pump all the time and just direct the coolant either to the coolant spout or back in to the tank.

any thought ???

rodm
23rd June 2007, 02:48 AM
Oldhack
Do you know why the aerator only works if your tank is half full? Would a stronger aerator solve the problem?

Oldhack
24th June 2007, 09:36 AM
yes, a stronger aerator would work, mine has'nt a strong enough air stream to break the surface, hence the tramp oil forms a skin.

rodm
24th June 2007, 11:20 AM

Greg Q
24th June 2007, 11:40 AM
Is there any additive you can use in coolant to inhibit the microbial growth?

Fuel companies blend such additives into diesel and jet fuels...I wonder if something similar would work in suds (and not on the machine operator)?

Grahame Collins
24th June 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Guys
The straight soluble oil is getting a touch old fashioned with its problems such as scum builds and the smell.

Also the old stuff is linked to scrotal cancer.
There are stacks of purpose manufactured lathe coolants around.
Castrol Syntilo 9902 is just one of many which are suitable for ferrous work on lathes and has a strong antibacterial action.This link may work other wise goodle up castrol metalworking fluids.
[url]http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.

Rocol is another company which has metalworking fluids that may suit.
Grahame