PDA

View Full Version : Beard and masks

j.stevens
18th October 2006, 09:16 AM
I think I read somewhere that dust masks don't work if you have a beard.
Is that correct and if so what's the best solution?:)

ptc
18th October 2006, 09:43 AM
Shave it Off.
only kidding.

Stuart
18th October 2006, 11:55 AM
Buy a Triton
http://www.triton.com.au/images/129_t.jpg

Groggy
18th October 2006, 01:03 PM
I think I read somewhere that dust masks don't work if you have a beard.
Is that correct and if so what's the best solution?:)A proper mask held under pressure should work ok for everything other than extremely fine particles (mdf and asbestos). It is not suitable for use with smoke/fumes or solvents. As Stuart said, you may be better off wearing a Triton lid.

tashammer
19th October 2006, 05:28 AM
CPAP, i say!

Markw
19th October 2006, 01:05 PM
If you read the standard, it states no facial hair and this includes stubble for those that manage a beard in half a day; for any negative pressure system ie half or full face masks, dust masks etc. You might note that if you possess a large length beard such as the size worn by ZZ Top, any type of respirator will be ineffective owing to the air gap at the face seal.

Your only alternative is a positive pressure system (PAPR or supplied line) where an excess of filtered air blows past the face seal thus preventing dusts from entering.

This can be provided by any respirator which uses a battery powered fan/pump or an air line system attached to a dedicated compressed air source. Note your shop air compressor, unless its an oiless system with appropriate filtration is not suitable.

The Triton respirator displays an AS1716 approval but I believe it can only be used for P1 level contaminants - timber dusts and similar. If you need to provide protection against smoke, fumes or certain gases (P2/P3 organic/inorganic toxins ie 2 pack paints) I would recommend a more professional level of respiratory protection.

j.stevens
20th October 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks Mark and the rest of you for that. I'll investigate
Triton.

j.stevens
20th October 2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks Mark and the rest of you for that. I'll investigate
Triton.