PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this?

OGYT
18th October 2006, 09:35 AM
Someone traded this wood for a piece of Mesquite when I was at a Woodturners Gathering in Georgia, in April. Didn't write down the name of it, and turned it yesterday... finished today. I started with a 1/2" opening, and kept chipping it out, so I put the collar on it.. collar is Indian Rosewood. Don't know what the other wood is. :eek: Do you?:confused: :D
It's about 15cm diameter. Lacquer wash... Carnauba buff.

floobyduster
18th October 2006, 09:37 AM
I don't know the wood but I like it - real nice job you've done there.

hughie
18th October 2006, 09:48 AM
Someone traded this wood for a piece of Mesquite when I was at a Woodturners Gathering in Georgia, in April. Didn't write down the name of it, and turned it yesterday... finished today. I started with a 1/2" opening, and kept chipping it out, so I put the collar on it.. collar is Indian Rosewood. Don't know what the other wood is. :eek: Do you?:confused: :D

Al, I have no idea, but it looks real good. Looks like the Oneway is earning its keep...:D For a guy who was nervous about Hollow vessels, your gonna turn out some crackers when you get over it..:D :D :D

Gil Jones
18th October 2006, 11:12 AM
Geesh, Al, that is a fine looking hollow form, and collar.
As for the wood, well, it "looks" like a piece of 'too dark' Sycamore, and I like it.

OGYT
18th October 2006, 01:46 PM
I don't know the wood but I like it - real nice job you've done there.
Thank you, sir.

Al, I have no idea, but it looks real good. Looks like the Oneway is earning its keep...:D For a guy who was nervous about Hollow vessels, your gonna turn out some crackers when you get over it..:D :D :D
Thanks, Hughie. At least the OW is turning... I'll know if it's "earnin'" when we have a show the 4th of Nov.;) I'm still nervous about my hollowin', I seem to have a hard time getting the grind on my bits at the right angle... they either grab like heck, or don't cut well at all.:eek: But your compliment is good for my inspiration, anyway.:D

Geesh, Al, that is a fine looking hollow form, and collar.
As for the wood, well, it "looks" like a piece of 'too dark' Sycamore, and I like it.
Thanks, Gil. I was happier with this collar than with any other I've made. I took more time to thin it down some. Sure like that Indian Rosewood, too. It turns real sweet.
Hallo, Everybody: Leo VanderLoo posted some pics of his Honey Locust. That's gotta be it... Honey Locust. It has the same grain pattern, and it's 'bout as hard as Black Locust, but it has the Honey color...:D
Now if I could only remember who I got it from.....:confused:

Speanwoody
19th October 2006, 08:23 AM
Don't know what wood it is but sure is nice, what a lovely job of turning makes me feel jealous, well done

OGYT
19th October 2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Colin. But now I have the "real" answer (I was gonna say, "scoop", but I's afraid of what you ozzies would say about that word :o))
The man I got it from posted on another forum. He said the wood was Red Elm. Never heard of it before. They say it shouldn't be too hard, and this piece is hard as pecancrete. Maybe just short of petrifying??? Anyway... Red Elm it is, I guess.

TTIT
19th October 2006, 03:59 PM
... and this piece is hard as pecancrete.OK Al, ya got me goin' :rolleyes:What the bloody hell is 'pecancrete' :eek: Sounds like something ya wouldn't wanna eat at least?

Mikko
19th October 2006, 05:01 PM
Looks like our ash to me...

Nice piece!!

M

rowie
20th October 2006, 01:03 AM
yes, it certainly has the grain of elm. Elm is very cantankerous to turn especially the end grain. very good job.

OGYT
20th October 2006, 06:30 AM
TTIT, Pecan timber... sidewalk Concrete... Dried Pecan....= Pecancrete. Hard as the street! Cuts like cement, too! And you couldn't eat it unless your teeth are made of carbide. :o)

TTIT
20th October 2006, 09:16 AM
TTIT, Pecan timber... sidewalk Concrete... Dried Pecan....= Pecancrete. Hard as the street! Cuts like cement, too! And you couldn't eat it unless your teeth are made of carbide. :o)
Hah! Bloody balsa wood mate!(AKA "that's not a knife!") Remember the little pot (here) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=353982#post353982) and the platter (here) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=345992#post345992) - I've got mobs of the stuff from the old mans place. If you want to try 'HARD' Al, I need to get you some inland rosewood. A little delicacy we grow out here that white-ants run and hide from - but it is SOOOOOOOOO beautiful :D

OGYT
20th October 2006, 02:52 PM
"... Bloody balsa wood.." Okay. I believe you. I get a lot of it too, but I don't let it dry on me before I spin it.
Now that rosewood. That sounds grand! I have a piece of something called Indian Rosewood... It's hard, too, but I love It. And it really is beautiful. I turned a piece of "Tasmanian Rosewood", and it also is awesome wood.
White ants run from it, huh? What's a white ant? We have black ants (pissants) brown ants (medium sized) and Red Ants (Big Biters). Then we have Carpenter Ants... they're reddish and eat whole trees... houses too.
:o)

TTIT
20th October 2006, 03:53 PM
What's a white ant? . Then we have Carpenter Ants... they're reddish and eat whole trees... houses too.
:o)White ants = termites. The babies cut their teeth on cast-iron out here Al ;) 'houses' - hah! - finger food to these bludgers!:D

OGYT
22nd October 2006, 11:56 AM
TTIT, you'd sure make a good Texican!!:D :D

CanFly
23rd October 2006, 02:14 PM
I would say it's made from Ash.

TheDad
24th October 2006, 08:43 AM
our White ants or Termites are really just little white cockroaches who like wood instead of whatever the big black cockroaches who used to live in my shed ate!!!

OGYT
24th October 2006, 11:11 AM
CanFly, I located the guy that swapped wood with me. He said it is Red Elm. I never heard of Red Elm, but he must know. :o
Gaz........and people that cats allow in theirs. LOL I'm one of those people... you got my cat in your avatar. :o