PDA

View Full Version : PNG Rosewood

TassieKiwi
18th October 2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone had experience with this? There's some for sale locally for about $2500/m3 - a few bits only.

Wongo
18th October 2006, 10:13 AM
It is beautiful and not hard to work with.

It is beautiful.

Yes I am pretty sure, yeah it is beautiful.

TassieKiwi
18th October 2006, 12:51 PM
So, is it beautiful then?

Wongo
18th October 2006, 12:53 PM
Just wait. Hmmmm...

Yes definately beautiful. :D

Seriously, it is beautiful. :p

No I am serious. It is beautiful. :p

Flowboy
18th October 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi TK,
I found it easy to work with, cuts well, doesn't seem to move much (as opposed to move off the seam) Takes finish well, LOVES the Domino. There is a pic of some in my Sloth table in the Pics forum.
And I'm not sure Wongo really got the point across, bit waffly with the words.

It is beautiful. I hope that clears that up.

Regards

Rob

conwood
18th October 2006, 01:43 PM
very beautiful. Grain can go in different directions so pay attention to sanding.
Just buy it, and if ya don't like it, give to us.
cheers,
conwood

Bob Willson
18th October 2006, 02:55 PM
These people really have no idea at all TassieKiwi. It is really f'n gorgeous and cannot be beaten for beautility of looks. Just buy it. (that price by the way is VERY cheap.)

So, just to recap on the above ... it is really nicely grained/coloured/weighted/etc timber
Ps if you are anywhere near Northgate in Brisbane then try Endeavour Timbers for some of the same. (not at that price though.)

TassieKiwi
18th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks team. I think I'm sold. How would a sliver of it go to repairing a T11 rosewood tote, I wonder?

Bob Willson
18th October 2006, 04:44 PM
Don't stuff around; make a whole new tote.

IanW
18th October 2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks team. I think I'm sold. How would a sliver of it go to repairing a T11 rosewood tote, I wonder?

Not at all well, TK.
NG Rosewood (Pterocarpus indicus) is an entirely different beast from the rosewood of plane totes (Dalbergia spp). Redder, softer, coarser-grained and not what I'd choose for a plane tote or knob.

But it's a nice cabinet wood - easily worked if you have the right bits, but can be awfully difficult to plane quarter-cut bits because of the rowed grain (which looks spiffy when you get it licked into shape. Use a very well-tuned plane, or scraper, or lots of the gritty stuff.

Here's a kitchen I did for a friend. For those who worry about wooden benchtops, it had been finished & used for 2 years when I finally got around to taking these pics