PDA

View Full Version : I need the wisdom of this group

ozbeast
18th December 2002, 11:34 AM
This is my first post.
My problerm is this I would like to turn a handle for a cheese knife. AHH simple u might say.
However I am working without a chuck, my GMC lathe came with a face plate and a I suppose u would call it a spindle for doing long thin peices. U are right I am a newbie and dont know enuogh to turn my way out of a wet paper bag ( with hole in it yet).
To date I have turned two bowls ( pine off cuts ) that are excellent for holding paper or plastic plates at a Barbie and a cheese platter out of Honduras mahogany. Hence the desperate need for a knife.

I have tried glueing the stick to my face board ( did not work )

The advice in this group represents the wisdom of the ages to me ( have I sucked up enough yet, have I)

Cheers to all

Tristan Croll
18th December 2002, 12:23 PM
Without having tried this before, here's what I'd do...

Take a drill and carefully drill a 7 mm hole the desired depth into the end of your blank. It might help if you start with a slightly oversized blank, and hold it tightly in a vise. Take a length of 7 mm dowel and insert it down this hole. Hopefully it should be a tight fit. It might help if you sand it a little and wax it to make sure you can get it out again. You'll want approximately 5 (?) cm protruding from the hole. You may need to insert the dowel into a small offcut at the tailstock end to avoid the centre splitting the dowel. Take the whole lot and mount it between centres. Adjust your drive point until the dowel spins true, and turn your handle to the desired shape.

Clear as mud?

There's probably a much simpler way, but that's what springs to mind.

Tristan

ozbeast
18th December 2002, 04:21 PM
(Big Cheesy grin)

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try this arvo and post the result

Matto
18th December 2002, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't dream of claiming to be an expert but I have battled with the limitations of not having the right tool for the job and can appreaciate your dilema. If your blank is long enough, make up a disc out of scrap that can be screwed to your faceplate. Mark the centre and put a screw through it from the headstock end into the blank. When you are finished shaping and sanding the handle, part it off, drill a hole for the shank of the blade and voi la - a knife handle. This will only work if your blank is long enough to allow for a bit of waste between the scrap and the start of the handle.

Good luck and happy turning.

Matto

ozbeast
19th December 2002, 10:08 AM
thanks for the suggestion. I have turned a scrap of pine as a backing plate and araldited the bolt to the centre. Anyyway here goes. I will try anyting several times!

ozbeast
19th December 2002, 06:38 PM
Doorstop
I have read many things about you. So if you dont mind i will take your statement with the grain....... ton of salt that it so richly deserves. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/tongue.gif

have a safe xmas and a wet new year

------------------
One day I might grow up

ozbeast
19th December 2002, 06:40 PM
Matto

So far the stick is turning true

YAH.

------------------
One day I might grow up

Stuart
20th December 2002, 12:25 PM
BTW, GMC also have a 4 jaw chuck for their lathe for $35. Cheap & nasty, but it does work with limitations.

ozbeast
20th December 2002, 01:55 PM
to all for their advice thanks. After five attempts I got it to work. I finished it with organoil much to doorstops chagrin. have to find out where to get neils stuff?? in NSW:-o

------------------
One day I might grow up

ubeaut
20th December 2002, 11:04 PM
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/distribs.html http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tim the Timber Turner
21st December 2002, 10:21 AM
(Poofs have "workshops"), Quoted By Doorstop.

Well I have to admit that when I have a customer with money to spend, come and visit, I have been known to call mine a "Studio".

This then leads to the Question.

If? 1: Doorstop has a Shed.
2: Poofs have Workshops.
3: I've got a Studio.

What does that make me?? Not a Doorstop or a Poof obviously.

Be gentle with me folks.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you all.

Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

[This message has been edited by Tim the Timber Turner (edited 21 December 2002).]

ubeaut
21st December 2002, 06:01 PM
Tim - Being as how you're the one with all the US$'s I would say that makes you the smart one. So lets just call you SMART and leave it at that.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

ptc
21st December 2002, 07:14 PM
Mine is refered to as a pox doctor's parlor.
stuff all over the place.