PDA

View Full Version : Mozzie deterrent

vGolfer
19th October 2006, 03:09 PM
Looking for a good mozzie deterrent...every time we open our windows, bloody mozzies come in the house. i'm looking for something that isn't too smelly but will keep them away.

I know about citronella but find it a bit over powering.

If anyone has any good suggestions, that would be great.

silentC
19th October 2006, 03:18 PM
How 'bout flyscreens? They work for me ;)

Bob Willson
19th October 2006, 06:10 PM
Citronella does NOT work. It is a hoax that seems to have fooled millions.
Any of the plug-in mozzie zappers work very well, even with the lights on and all the windoes open. No smell at all. No mozzies (or flies)

silentC
19th October 2006, 08:12 PM
I was serious you know. Why no flyscreens? Mozzie zappers don't keep out the blowies and the moths do they? My place would be overrun by blowies during the day and mozzies and moths at night if I didn't have flyscreens.

Iain
19th October 2006, 08:39 PM
Put up a 'SALE' sign next door, females can't resist them and will leave you alone.

John Saxton
19th October 2006, 09:15 PM
Old bushies trick,stinkin' job but someones gotta do it put dried cow dung on a fire.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately it's kinda smelly even the mozzies have better preferences!

Some even smear themselves with it to keep the mozzies at bay,:eek: :eek: :eek: mind I'm not suggestin' you do this particularly if'n ya wanna stay on good terms with the family and neighbours.

At the moment during their breeding seaon wear plenty of covering clothing they'll soon be gone once the weather warms up.

Cheers:)

ozwinner
19th October 2006, 09:15 PM
Put up a 'SALE' sign next door, females can't resist them and will leave you alone.

Maybe a mozzie rod is in order like your fly rod?

Al :p

Barry_White
19th October 2006, 09:17 PM

Fly screens do it for me also, although I haven't been able to work out how a blowfly that flies so erratically can find it's way in a 100mm gap that is open for less than a half second.

Hingrock
19th October 2006, 11:07 PM
I learn't this from an old bushie once and it works a treat.

1/3 Dettol
1/3 vinegar
1/3 baby oil

mix it together and wipe it on.

Doesn't smell wonderful but compared to all the other crap it is pretty nice (and harmless).

Damo

silentC
20th October 2006, 08:55 AM
Flyscreens have no odour... :p

Felder
20th October 2006, 09:00 AM

I was serious you know. Why no flyscreens?

Flyscreens have no odour... :p

:mad:

Dear SilentC.

It is clear by your constant spamming that you have an interest in the promotion of flyscreens.:mad:

No-one likes spam. I hope the mods ban you and your lucrative flyscreen business turns sour.:mad:

I also hope your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny door down.:mad:

Kind regards,
Felder

:p:p

mat
20th October 2006, 10:18 AM
Two products that do NOT work are the ultrasonic repellers sold by Dick Smith and the like and the ultraviolet light/electric grid zappers.

The plug in "insecticide mat" heaters do work as they simply liberate insecticide.

Simomatra
20th October 2006, 03:43 PM
The remedy recomended by the local chemist is to take vitam b It apparently pases an odour through the pores that mossies and midges, Sorry BM, do not like

vGolfer
23rd October 2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions...I think! :)

Shedgirl
2nd February 2007, 11:47 AM
Lemongrass oil works; just add a few drops to some olive oil or moisturiser or whatever is handy. In some parts of Asia people wear hats woven from lemongrass leaves for the same reason.

bitingmidge
2nd February 2007, 12:34 PM
The remedy recomended by the local chemist is to take vitam b It apparently pases an odour through the pores that mossies and midges, Sorry BM, do not like

We don't have any mossies round our place, the midges eat them all!:oo:

Flyscreens are the best, but you have to be careful not to shout through them, because you can strain your voice.

Take it from one who knows, and I have the scabs to prove it :B B vitamins (vegemite, Barocca etc) have a minimal impact on mossies, and almost none on midges. I do believe that both find their meals by following the carbon dioxide trail that animals exhale believe it or not, so if you don't breath, you won't get bitten.

Cheers,

P

Eddie Jones
2nd February 2007, 01:42 PM
I think I like the cow shyte one best.

Just imagine, getting rid of guests that just won't go home......."Well, time to put the cow shyte on dear".

Buzza
19th June 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm with SilentC on this one, and today I will also put insect screens on the Dunny Door just in case. :oo:

Insect Screens also keep out snakes and require no naked flame nor batteries. :2tsup:

munruben
19th June 2007, 12:20 PM
Geraniums are supposed to work too but hate the smell of those myself.
Don't know how you go about catching the mozzie though to give it the geranium.

Mcblurter
19th June 2007, 03:40 PM
We live in Melbourne and have used strong smelling plants with good effect. Mossies want to suck your blood so if you can mask this smell then they won't venture forward. We use peppermint and lemon scented geraniums and other nice smelling plants around the place, lilac, lavender, daphne, jonquils etc etc Get a nice smelling house and less pesky visitors.

Mind you I'm sure it wouldn't work as well if we didn't have FLYSCREENS!!!!!

My wife is Italian and the mossies just love her, yet never touch me. So maybe marry an Italian (or get one in on the side for those special nights....When there are heaps of mossies around!!)

Cheers
McBlurter

Tonyz
19th June 2007, 06:01 PM
there is a serface spray called Coopex. we get it from local rural suppliers. Will stop mozzies, flies,spiders and bugs like that. Working now for 5 months under the eves (where dosnt get washed off) and fantastic results....nothing inside. Spray around window/door frames you cant smell it,its non toxic.

Iain
19th June 2007, 09:14 PM
So maybe marry an Italian (or get one in on the side for those special nights..)

Cheers
McBlurter

Sophia Loren, my phone number is.................:D

bentley
15th July 2007, 11:43 AM
unfortunatly cow dung atracts dogs, so if you put cow dung on you get rid of the mozzies and end up with a hose full of dogs that have jumped through your window.

Capt. Zero
15th July 2007, 03:17 PM
Texas and Louisiana, misquito capitols of the world. I have seen every gimmick used every gimcrack tried every trick in the book. If the critters are so thick you breathe a mouthfull with every breath, have your arms turn red from smashed misquitoes(your blood), find yourself going crazy from the drone; the only thing that works is get inside with screens and central air.
I'm not exagerating I have been able to pick up clouds of misquitoes in my boats radar they have been so thick. Ointments don't work because they have no olfactory sense. They are attracted to body heat, moisture and light. If you can mask your body heat and manage not exhaling you can avoid them. Bug zappers work well enough, but in order to work they have to attract them first and you don't want to attract them. Give a zapper to your neighbor as a present and they work the best. Dettol, if it's what I think it is, is carcinogenic. I have heard that eating medicinal sulphur or match heads works, but have not had any luck with it.
Now there are those (Game wardens, State troopers and such) that swear by Avon's "Skin So Soft" (not sure you can get Avon products over there) to the extent that some orginizations supply it, but I've had limited luck with it.
Now I'm sorry I lead in so hard:B , but unless someone else out there lives in a jungle or a swamp (East Texas, South Louisiana) you just don't know. If anyone is interested look up the tiger misquito on the net and meet our little denizen of the devil. He is a killer(56 West nile viral deaths in Tx. last year). I get to watch 2-3 birds a month fall out trees and die from it. Was sick all last August from this. If they are merely a bother, be thankful.

adriang
11th September 2007, 02:36 PM
Geraniums are supposed to work too but hate the smell of those myself.
Don't know how you go about catching the mozzie though to give it the geranium.

I lived in Holland, and there are loads of mozzies in Amsterdam in the summer. All the apartments used to have geraniums in the window boxes to deter them from coming in.