PDA

View Full Version : Rotex 150 Abrasive Disc

Ron Boyes
19th October 2006, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

Can you recommend a "starters" pack for general woodwork tasks.

thanks
ron

Flowboy
19th October 2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Ron,
As a starters pack for the 150FEQ I would suggest 10 each of the following
80,120,180,240,400 and 800 grit. Standardly, you won't need to go above 400 grit to get a great result.
If you want to go higher, 1200 and 1500 are available. There are also some foam discs available called Platin 2 which are available in 500,1000 and 2000 "grit. These are fantastic at finishing burnishing oil.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

nt900
19th October 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Ron,

I would agree with Rob. And P400 is about as high as I would go in a starter kit, but later on, try the real fine grits. Like Rob, I use P1500 impregnated with oil for burnishing. Although still experimenting at this stage.

Now, I would add to Rob's list some aggressive grits. P60 followed by P60 are my favourite course grits, but P24 is worth the entertainment value alone - have you ever tried carving with a ROTEX :D I kid.... a little

Personally, I do mostly renovation work, so I favour the Brilliant 2 types, and occasionally use Rubin. The Brilliant 2 excel at 'paint and varnish', but I use them for raw timber as well, although the Rubins are designed for raw timber. I might be able to get a slightly better result with Rubins, but it is more economical to not have to stock up on two types when I can easily get away with one type, the Brilliant 2s. Although only the Rubins go down to P24.

I am keen to hear how others find using Brilliant 2 over Rubins for raw timber.

zuma
2nd November 2006, 11:59 PM
I am keen to hear how others find using Brilliant 2 over Rubins for raw timber.

Brilliant sanding paper is awesome, it's more lasting and gives a better sanding result than Rubin. Therefore Rubin is for finishing less atractive. Since Brilliant lasts longer (ofcourse connected to the vacuum) I even use it on raw timber, it just rips with grit 40 (Rotex in rotary mode)....

Iain
3rd November 2006, 08:21 AM
I have used 25 grit on redgum for removing chainsaw marks, in rotary mode, need to hang on though.
I used to use burnishing oil until I discovered that Shellawax can be buffed on high speed rotary.
Comes up well and is a lot quicker than oil.
I use a felt pad that is available from most Festool stockists.