PDA

View Full Version : WWWShow - Latest info

ubeaut
19th October 2006, 06:14 PM
FIRSTLY: I actually had a chance to have a bit of a look around at the show today and this is shaping up to be the best shown in many, many years. Certainly the best since it left the Exhibition Buildings and possibly the best one ever.

There is a massive exhibition of amazing woodwork in the centre of the show. Harking back to the good old days at the other venue.

There are no pillow salesmen, no upside down painters, etc. Matter of fact there is a distinct absence of sprukers all together. If you haven't been for a few years then this is definitely the show to come to.

From what I've seen it is all woodworking and timber and tools with some of the best exhibition pieces I've seen in a really long time. it looks like an absolute bottler. If you miss this one you will certainly miss something very special.

SECONDLY: There is massive earth works going on in the outside carpark and much of the parking seems to have gone completely. If you can get a park outside it is a half day trek to get to the centre. I know it's expensive but it might be best to park down under or leave the car and train, tram, taxi or shankses pony.

FINALLY: This is just a whisper and not definite but it is possible that the future shows may be held in the new venues at the Melb showgrounds. There are a number of reasons for this but high on the list is FREE parking and better food.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS like I said above if you haven't been to a Working With Wood Show in a while this is definitely one to give you a reason to go again. I wouldn't miss it.

Auld Bassoon
19th October 2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks Neil,

I'm coming tomorrow, so maybe I'll park in the CBD as usual, and just get a taxi :).

I'll drop by and say "hi"

Gumby
19th October 2006, 06:59 PM
There are no pillow salesmen, no upside down painters, etc. Matter of fact there is a distinct absence of sprukers all together. .

I was coming tomorrow. Think I might give it a miss now. I need some more Miracle fibre cloths. :mad:

Zed
19th October 2006, 07:02 PM
I had you pegged as a snuggle pillow kinda guy Gumbino.... :)

Stuart
19th October 2006, 10:02 PM
Glad it wasn't just my uninformed opinion then! :D - was looking around, and got the distinct impression that the show this year looks BLOODY AWESOME!

All the displayers seem to have gone to extra lengths, the wood suppliers seem to have better stock (some of the burls are HUGE - 2m diameter or so!) The rest seem to have gone to extra lengths as well- congrats to all!

Nice catching up with some already, Felder, Neil (briefly), Roger (Gifkins), the wood bending guy (from a recent Woodworker magazine).

And I get 3 more days of it :D

John Saxton
19th October 2006, 10:15 PM
If it's a possibility of moving from Jeffs Shed I'm in all liklihood a starter come the next one.

I have been to a coupla ones at the Exhibition Centre and they were a really pleasing outing.

Been to one only in Jeff's shed (met Neil, and Stoppers) and vowed I would'nt go back there as it was too scrunched for movement around the whole area where the organisers I felt had'nt allowed for free flowing pedestrian movement around the hall not with the numbers in attendance.

I would enjoy another outing in 'ol Melbourne town and in all liklihood it will happen should a change occur.

MY 2C input.less GST

Cheers:)

Groggy
19th October 2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up Neil.

Waldo
19th October 2006, 11:29 PM
G'day,

Where's the Showgrounds? :confused: (only been down here for a few years so you have to forgive me). The big shed I can find, but the other one, nup.

I'll be catching the train with all the school girls in the morning (if I don't make it, then I must've got a bit sidetracked ;) :eek: :D ) then a walk from Spencer St. to have a chat with a bloke about waxes and stuff.

meerkat
20th October 2006, 09:27 AM
[quote=Waldo;394385
I'll be catching the train with all the school girls in the morning (if I don't make it, then I must've got a bit sidetracked ;) :eek: :D ) then a walk from Spencer St. to have a chat with a bloke about waxes and stuff.[/quote]

I would have thought the school girls would be able to tell you all about waxes and the bikini line you are so concerned about ;):D

alanm
20th October 2006, 09:40 PM
Went today and was disappointed that it was smaller than last year and more crowded. There were too many non wood products such as massage chairs, shoe shine stands and $2 shop tools plus other ikea style kits.

The big guns were there and I picked up a few small goodies to save the freight cost from interstate and I also got a few cheap backorder magazines which I needed.

The stalls were too small and understaffed for the amount of people there, so I didn't have the opportunity to discuss or buy any big stuff that I was interested in. I just hope they all keep the show prices for a few weeks so that I can still buy them at a discount.

I'd give it a 6/10.