PDA

View Full Version : Urn

Don Nethercott
21st October 2006, 06:38 PM
I decided to be part of Tony Wards box swap so made a woodturned "box". I liked what I did so thought I'd show it off. The wood is Blackhearted Sassafras. Did it as part of Richard Raffand woodturning course at Grafton Artsfest.

Don

DJ’s Timber
21st October 2006, 06:43 PM
That looks very nice Don

QbnDusty
21st October 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Don.
This is my second attempt, the last one bombed out.

A magnificant piece. Wish I could locate similar wood to try it myself or something similar. If Greenies were allowed I would give you at least 10 for the Urn.;);););););););););) At least 10 Smilies.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st October 2006, 08:02 PM
Nice piece, Don. (A much overused comment, I know, but still true. ;))

What finish did you use? Did the finish darken the Sassafras or was the timber fairly dark to start with?

stevesandy
21st October 2006, 11:23 PM
Well done something else to try,I"ll add to the list.
Steve:) :) :) :) :)

Speanwoody
22nd October 2006, 02:33 AM
looks really nice well finished, wish I could get hold of wood like that over here

Gil Jones
22nd October 2006, 08:33 AM
Fine looking lidded box!

ptc
22nd October 2006, 09:54 AM
Great.
very well done.

Don Nethercott
22nd October 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

I used Shellawax liquid to polish it. The wood was already dark, the Shellawax just made it glow.

Tony Ward (Sculptured Box)sent me the piece of timber. I've got a post in the Timber forum trying to find a source of the wood so I can make some more like this.

Also trying to work out other woods that will give a similar finish. I reckon gidgee would be good, if I could get sharp enough tools. A piece of camphor with a mass of very dark stain should also be good.

Thanks
Don

Wild Dingo
22nd October 2006, 11:07 AM
Have a greenie Don... Brilliant stuff mate :cool:

baxter
23rd October 2006, 12:19 AM
Don I am sure that the photo doesn't do justice to the finished article.

Obviulsy you will have to make Janette another one now that you have posted the picture on the forum:D.

Let us know if you can source some more of that timber;).

TTIT
23rd October 2006, 12:38 AM
Classy looking item Don. :) Roughly what size are we looking at here?

Hickory
23rd October 2006, 08:38 AM
Excellant design, I like it so well that I'm sending a little reputation wafer :D your way.... I might be persuaded to steal the design or something close for an upcoming lathe adventure of my own.

Thanks for the posting.

Don Nethercott
23rd October 2006, 10:47 AM
Have posted 2 more pics showing size and with top off.

Hickory - Design is based on a wine glass. Thinking of doing one with the lip on the top so that the bottom could double as a wine goblet. Please feel free to copy or modify. Just have a look at your wine glass collection for inspiration, but modify as I don't think the wood would be too strong with a very thin stem.

All I need now is more timber.

Don

PS thanks for the wafer - are they any good for turning???

OGYT
23rd October 2006, 11:06 AM
Well done. I can't get a box lid to fit right for anything. Well, I did once... but that had to be dumb luck.
Beautiful box.

ss_11000
23rd October 2006, 11:03 PM
amazing.

tashammer
24th October 2006, 04:51 AM
That's a nice urn that is, i would rest easy on the mantlepiece in that, i would.

Jim Carroll
24th October 2006, 07:58 PM
Don the weekend with Richard must have been worthwhile.

Excellent turning hope to see more of these now you are a master.

Hickory
25th October 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks Don for the additional pictures. It will make my cloning a bit easier. :cool: When I do lidded pieces I put the lip on the lid so if anything happens to the lid I am left with a useable piece. (Never know when one might screw up, as usual, for me) Causes the lid to be a bit thicker than the bottom but you can hide that with curvature of the lid.

If I ever get caught up with my chores around here, I might get my new lathe stand finished so that I can again present myself in front of spinning timbers of joy....