PDA

View Full Version : New Baby

Gra
21st October 2006, 08:37 PM
Guys,

Just got back from the WWW show, I am now the proud owner of a Carbatec MC1100. Boss says I dont get it until christmas, but might sneak some work out of it before then.

Though I am going to need to clean my shed to get it in there. I think I got a good deal, 470 including stand and a set of chisels (They will be good to start with at least).

So I will be asking lots of dumb questions here soon so be ready..

Gumby
21st October 2006, 08:39 PM
we don't get pics, you didn't get it ;)

echnidna
21st October 2006, 08:43 PM
This is the right place to ask dumb questions :)

We are all rel good at giving dumb answers :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 08:50 PM
Man those WWW sound dangerous. Everyone seems to got stung with a new baby. Good on you. Enjoy her immensely
Toni

DJ’s Timber
21st October 2006, 09:29 PM
Well done Gra, did ya pick up one at the show all do you have to pick it up from the shop?

Gra
21st October 2006, 11:07 PM
Gotta pick it up from the shop, Wife wouldnt let me leave her there....:mad::mad:..

So no pics, but as soon as I pick it up and set it up pics will come. So in the mean time I am now a frustrated aprentice turner..

I guess I am going to have to do some searching of the archive and some reading.

stevesandy
21st October 2006, 11:30 PM
Gra, At least between now and xmas you might get a chance to read or view some stuff that may save a bit of swearing and loos of self esteem when things go pear shaped.[I ahve heard that this happens?}
Hope you enjoy the new toy Steve:) :cool: :cool: ;)

Gra
21st October 2006, 11:33 PM
Gra, At least between now and xmas you might get a chance to read or view some stuff that may save a bit of swearing and loos of self esteem when things go pear shaped.[I ahve heard that this happens?}
Hope you enjoy the new toy Steve:) :cool: :cool: ;)

Dont wory about self esteem, I know I am s@#t.. I also know all I have to do is put the call out here and I will have experts from everywhere giving me suggestions (Some probably not quite so polite, but alls in fun)

Farnk
22nd October 2006, 09:30 AM
Hey there Gra,
A few of us are in the general warrandyte / croydon area, so you're not lacking for shoulders and ears.

If the urge gets too great you can get some pre toy arrival practice on my MC900, but be warned, I clean my shed for no-one!:D

Skew put me in contact with the Maroondah turning club, which I'll get around to joining. That's another source of helpful instruction.

ROFL Dihydrogen monoxide.. That's my favourite april fools joke, calling the OH&S people for MSDS sheets for it..

f

Gra
3rd November 2006, 10:05 PM
Well, I have finally picked it up and it now sits in pieces in the laundry until such time that I have made enough room in my shed to fit it, Oh and have finished all the jobs I promised I would do, so I could get it..

The Jobs are about half way through, I managed to knock a few more off today, jst three more to go:D:D

Doughboy
3rd November 2006, 10:50 PM
Nice x-mas pressie there Gra. So is the missus getting a pen or a pepper mill??;) :rolleyes:

Well congrats mate and many happy turns...

Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd November 2006, 11:45 PM
Well, I have finally picked it up and it now sits in pieces in the laundry until such time that I have made enough room in my shed to fit it, Oh and have finished all the jobs I promised I would do, so I could get it..

The Jobs are about half way through, I managed to knock a few more off today, jst three more to go:D:D

You can always bring it down here until you find room in the shed. AND finished all the jobs... AND an extra week or three on top, just to make sure you didn't miss any jobs.

I'd even let you visit it for a couple of hours each week... ;):D

OGYT
4th November 2006, 05:24 AM
Congratulations on the new baby. Talk nice to her, pat her softly, and take good care of her... she'll last you a long time. :o

DJ’s Timber
4th November 2006, 10:26 AM
You can always bring it down here until you find room in the shed. AND finished all the jobs... AND an extra week or three on top, just to make sure you didn't miss any jobs.

I'd even let you visit it for a couple of hours each week... ;):D

You better have a tidy up first Skew:p . It's already a bit crowded in your w/shop:eek: , better bring it here instead;) :p

Tornatus
6th November 2006, 12:40 AM
Well, I have finally picked it up and it now sits in pieces in the laundry until such time that I have made enough room in my shed to fit it,

G'day Gra

Congrats on the new toy! Since you have yet to assemble it, can I offer some tips as a fellow MC owner - these "tweaks" have been canvassed quite a few times elsewhere on this forum, but I thought you might find it handy to have them at this time:

take yourself off to the nearest specialty fasteners shop and buy a couple of M30 (30mm) Nyloc nuts. When you are assembling the tailstock and banjo, substitute these for the standard nuts which secure the camlocks. Once they are adjusted to the right tension for locking, they will not loosen from vibration as the standard ones are prone to do
whatever you do, before you run the lathe for the first time, remove the cover from the Reeves pulley assembly, and lubricate the shafts along which the pulleys move - INOX is the best for this (don't use WD40, which evaporates). Trust me, this will avoid a lot of grief from pulleys binding, which happens too frequently with these lathes. When the pulley shafts are properly lubricated, you should be able to move the speed change lever smoothly with one finger
if you are game (it's not hard, really), take the opportunity to remove the circlips from the ends of the pulley shafts (watch out for that spring on the motor shaft), undo the grubscrews (in the top pulley) and ease off the front halves of the Reeves pulleys from their keyways. You will notice that the conical inner faces of the pulleys are fairly roughly finished (machining marks, etc), which can wear the belt pretty quickly. Use some wet&dry to smooth off these marks, and finish off with a metal polish (Autosol) to get as high a shine on the faces as possible. This will extend the life of your drive belt significantly, especially if you also remember to ALWAYS return the speed lever to the lowest setting before switching offNB Be gentle when handling the pulleys - they are not very high quality aluminium castings, and are easily broken if treated roughly, such as jamming a screwdriver into the innards to try and lever the halves apart when changing a belt (when you have to change a belt, let us know and we'll talk you through it at the time).

I found it helpful to strengthen/stiffen and add weight to the pressed-metal stand by fitting MDF shelves and enclosing the back and sides with plywood panels. As I am 6'4" (in the old way of telling time), I also added working height by mounting the stand on a heavy wooden base into which I slide pavers/bricks for extra weight - others have made a box base into which sand or gravel can be poured.

Hope these tips help make your lathe even more enjoyable to use, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any problems - most of us have already made the mistakes for you!

Gra
6th November 2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, it has been set up (See the pics in my other thread)

So, I have to test it to see if it works.. What have I got lying around here.... Ahh a old peice of redgum sleeper, lets see if I can make it round. Hmm this seems to be working, oops held the tool wroing there..

Yes dear, just checking it works dear....
in walks the boss.
What are you making dear? she asks.
I give the only response that makes sence at this point
A Mess..
It looks like a rolling pin, she says.
Ping there is an Idea, so my first work off the lathe is a redgum rolling pin for my daughter to use with her play-doh, so here it is

Oh Tornadus, I will be looking at those issues in the next couple of weeks, thanks for the tips, maybe someone should put together a thread giving all these tips to new owners as these things seem to be universal.