PDA

View Full Version : rembathroom renovation shower floor

ph173js
21st October 2006, 09:13 PM
Guys please help me
the wife TOLD me to renovate the bathroom, I need to rip out all the tiles and start from sratch,
the main worry is HOW do I replace a shower base with a tile floor,
bathroom is 1 storey up, do I cut a hole in the chipboard floor and frame out a sub floor for the shower recess ( she wants the floor tiles to go all the way into the shower)
and if so should I fibreglass it to water proof the recess?

any help appreciated

Joe

Pulse
21st October 2006, 10:56 PM
Geez Joe sounds like you've got quite a job there. Normally the floor in the bathrrom would be slightly lower than other rooms to allow for a mortar bed. I'd also use compressed FC sheeting and do away with the chipboard. The whole area needs to be waterproofed to AS3740.

Visit the websites of CSR and James hardie and have a look at the cross sections they have to give you an idea.

Cheers Pulse

ph173js
23rd October 2006, 11:35 PM
thanks for the help Pulse.. much appreciated
there goes my fishing weekends,

econ
24th October 2006, 08:41 PM
Couple of questions:

What is the shower area made of now ?
Whats on the floor now ?
What is the structure under the floor like?
What sort of weight can it stand ?
What kind of room is on the ground floor under the 1st floor bath.?

What are your skills like?

How much time have you got?

Actually thats seven questions. Reason for asking is
A first floor bathroom requires attention to detail.
In particular attention to waterproofing,(there are excellent products on the market), falls to allow drainage , aligning floor to wall tiles etc.etc etc.

When its all finished ya dont want shower water dripping into your beer when your watching state of origin ,its all tied with 3 minutes to go to the hooter, and the ref awards a penalty to..........

ph173js
25th October 2006, 07:16 PM
thanks for response Econ
Floor is chipboard yellow tongue, with tile underlay nailed on, with ceramic tiles laid, I will remove this cement sheet underlay when i lift the tiles and start new

the structure is good I was told that it will hold the weight no problems
250mm X 45mm oregan joists spaced 500mm apart

the room below is a 7 X 9 metre garage I will be turning into bathroom/laundry/toilet, 2 bedrooms and small lounge for 2 of my sons early next year

I will probably have to fit a hanging ceiling above the bathroom so we can access the pipes thats ok because this will be the laundrette/shower/toilet anyway

My mate the tiler says he knows how to do the job, hes done a couple before (now he tells me!)
but I,m not 100% if it will be strong enough his way,
thats why I am asking you guys

Thanks again
Joe

econ
25th October 2006, 11:08 PM
I'm in the process of tiling a bathroom right now . I'll
Briefly describe what I did.
Victorian house. Hardwood joists under the floor supporting a kauri pine floor boards. Room size 3x3.6 metres.

stood in the middle of the room bounced up and down just so my feet left the ground, there was a definite sense of give . Not stiff enough for tiles.
Ripped up the boards. Bought Duragal steel beams RHS 100x50x2.5 . Screwed them to the sides of the existing hardwood joists to make a sort of composite beam. Hardipanel 20mm sheets on the top. Its now stiff as. New 9mm villaboard equivalent made by CSR on the walls . All primed with Multiprime ( this is beatifully sticky stuff) before applying 3 coats Dampflex2 . Oh The shower has a hob. I would never build a hobless shower ever again. Water on the floor has a habit of finding its way anywhere.A hob means that the majority is contained to an area where you can concentrate waterproofing efforts. A hob is not as pretty as a completely flat floor but hey, I think its a compromise I think is worth making. 25mm slab of sand cemnt on top of the dampflex on the floor and we'll be ready for tiling this weekend

ph173js
1st November 2006, 11:33 PM
thanks buddy much appreciated