PDA

View Full Version : So what did you buy????

Iain
22nd October 2006, 08:50 AM
Melbourne WWW.
Got up not too early, bucketing rain, this is going to be a slow run from the sticks to the city, had the freeway all to myself got in an hour earlier than I expected.
Stood in the queue for too long but talked with a few other woodies I've never met, that took care of 45 minutes.
Found some sanding discs for my Rotex at $13.80 a pack of 20, cheapest I have seen so far, scored a few packs of those, saw Wongo's illegitimate brother (McJing) and scored some HSS for some blades, few drawer pulls, nice little countersink bit and a few odds and sods that 'May need one day'.
Neil offloaded some discs for the rotary sander, more shellac and a mop for the lathe, a free pen Found out last night, it's got a light in it:D
Off to find timbecon for some T track but woodpecker had the gold anodised cheaper so few more bits there, bumped into a few forum members, exchanged a few pleasantries and some bovine manure.
Looked for the guitar buiulder but couldn't find them.
Left just after lunch after having an altercation with a parking machine that wouldn't give me back my credit card:mad:
Just over $200, but spent toooooooooooooo much time looking at a new bandsaw, still procastinating:o

Farnk
22nd October 2006, 10:29 AM
Bits and bobs mostly..
A noice 3" forstner type bit and a #2 morse drill chuck from McJings.
A replacement velcro sanding pad for the vermec from carroll's
A few bits of camphor laurel.

There were a quite a few burls on offer but they seemed a tad exxy.

FIL came away with some pen kits, blanks and assorted stuff.
He was there mostly to price a new drill press and a table saw. We'll chase those up in the next week or so.

Overall a good visit.

Kiwibrucee
22nd October 2006, 10:45 AM
but spent toooooooooooooo much time looking at a new bandsaw, still procastinating:o[/quote]

I procrastinated for most of the day then gave in after lunch and bought a Jet 3hp 18"inch one from GPW, it was better I think as I was getting dizzy going round and round the show trying to decide which one.
Many thanks to groggy for helping me get it home:D
So todays job is setting it up and trying it out.

Bruce T.

Flowboy
22nd October 2006, 02:45 PM
Made it to the show yesterday, which in itself is a feat, in my cloak of invisibility.
But, given its nearly Christmas and all, I bought
4 jars of Trad Wax
3 EEE ultrashine
2 Forum caps
and a High frog for my LN 4B

Regards

Rust

routermaniac
22nd October 2006, 03:44 PM
3 ubeaut french polisher reviver
1 tub of eee ubeaut wax
1 tub traditional ubeaut wax
1 bottle of white shellac
1 polishers manual
3 spiral bits
1 Gifkins Dovetail Jig

Now all I need is some time to be able to use them ...
:(

Groggy
22nd October 2006, 03:51 PM
Easy Riser Kit (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=395920#post395920)
HNT Smoother
HNT 1/2" rebate
CV Square
UBeaut hat, mop and ubeaut wax
Diamond dresser for grinder
Bluemax 40 grit wheel
Vix bits

Rookie
22nd October 2006, 07:01 PM
Got the Supervona chuck from Jim Carroll that I went there for, and the woodturning chisel set from C-Tec. Just the cheap HSS one's because I still need to learn how to sharpen properly and I didn't want to grind down Hamlets doing that. Then some bits and pieces; cloth backed sandpaper, another set of calipers, stone dresser, then I too procrastinated over the bandsaw. Nearly didn't get one but the wife, bless her little cotton socks, talked me into it. Gotta love that woman. Just an H&F mid sized one for turning blanks and small resawing jobs. I think she had the ulterior motive. It's her blanks I'll be cutting. :rolleyes:

Gumby
22nd October 2006, 07:12 PM
A nice Silver Ash slab, some bits, diamond T-dresser (works brilliantl) and 2 cappucinos.

gazaly
22nd October 2006, 07:44 PM
A nice Silver Ash slab, some bits, diamond T-dresser (works brilliantl) and 2 cappucinos.
Bet the coffees were more expensive than all the rest :eek:

Clinton1
22nd October 2006, 08:01 PM
I bought 4 AWR's for $20 and a $16 book on tools.

The missus bought about 6 times that much.... seems she has decided that Marquetry and Intarsia might be her 'thing'. Amongst other things she got a Marquetry pack of veneers from Big River Timbers, a Pfiel knife, some glue, and some books.

The plan was that she would come along and see what I like looking at, maybe see some timber that 'she' wanted in a bedside table or something, buy that and maybe she'd also say "its ok, why don't you just buy it?" about a few tools.... BACKFIRE :eek: :eek:

I mean, I've been looking for cheap secondhand carving chisels 'cause Pfiel and Two Cherries are too expensive, and her first tool is a Pfiel?!!?

Interesting times ahead I think... sharing tools, getting kicked off the bench, being told to go mow the lawn and clean up the bench before I go and not come back till she's finished, having the radio changed off RRR to NOVA.... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cool. :cool:

Iain
22nd October 2006, 08:07 PM
I mean, I've been looking for cheap secondhand carving chisels 'cause Pfiel and Two Cherries are too expensive, and her first tool is a Pfiel?!!?

GReat isn't it, had the same experience when she bought me a new Dick:D :D :D :D
(Look up kitchen knives you lecherous swine:rolleyes: ).

ozwinner
22nd October 2006, 09:08 PM
I had a coupla Pfeils.:cool:
For carving of course.

And I got a kiss. :o :o :o Never kissed a rich chick before. :p

Al :)

Wood Butcher
22nd October 2006, 09:18 PM

How much did it cost you!:p

ozwinner
22nd October 2006, 09:27 PM
How much did it cost you!:p

Nothing, it was a freebie.

Al :cool:

boban
22nd October 2006, 09:30 PM
but spent toooooooooooooo much time looking at a new bandsaw, still procastinating:o

I procrastinated for most of the day then gave in after lunch and bought a Jet 3hp 18"inch one from GPW, it was better I think as I was getting dizzy going round and round the show trying to decide which one.
Many thanks to groggy for helping me get it home:D
So todays job is setting it up and trying it out.

Bruce T.[/quote]

I saw this saw recently at Major Woodworking in Sydney.

I've got the older model and think its a great saw. The new one is more than any hobbyist needs. It's my next purchase, that's how much I want it.

Jet have definitely got it right with their new 18in. And its still the same price as the old one. You wont be sorry, even if you bought the old one.

johnc
22nd October 2006, 09:32 PM
Well Butch, anyone kissing Al would want a medal and a vet check afterwoods I would have thought. For me it was a 1/8" chisel from LN, a couple of blades for the Noblex, EEE, Tradwax, Sanding sealer and a new top for the router table from Woodpeckers. Had a good look around and am working on a list for next year. I liked the look of the Gifkins jig but the Leigh will do the job however a couple of his box top cutters might go into the collection. I also liked the look of the enclosed Jet supersaw something about the longer skirts make it look a bit better, although one bloke was complaining about the force required to lock down the fence.

John.

boban
22nd October 2006, 09:34 PM
GReat isn't it, had the same experience when she bought me a new Dick:D :D :D :D
(Look up kitchen knives you lecherous swine:rolleyes: ).

All sounded a little to Lorena Bobbit to me at first, then I realised you may have also got a battery charger with the purchase.

Have fun:D

Phil Spencer
22nd October 2006, 09:57 PM
Got some plane socks fron Lie-Nielson, my wife got me a low angle block plane at the Lie-Nielson stand.:)

gratay
22nd October 2006, 10:31 PM
lie neilson bronze low angle block plane
cam clamps from timbecon
teeny weeny metabo bas260 bench bandsaw

chrisb691
22nd October 2006, 10:36 PM
I bought a Jet mini lathe (plus chuck & assorted other bits) last weekend, so was under strict instructions from the department of the treasury to control myself.

My first good quality spindle gouge.
Outside spring callipers.
One of those wall thickness callipers.
30 assorted pen blanks.
20 pen kits with bushes & drill.
A pyrography kit (always wanted to have a try at that).

Showed considerable self control. :D

Sir Stinkalot
22nd October 2006, 10:44 PM
First up a couple of small peices of timber that will be perfect for a little project ($1) :)
Ordered some new bandsaw blades from HBS.....
Then some cheap clamps and pencils from M10 ....
Then an issue of that Shop magazine ....
Then some mitre track and some plastic stuff from Professional Woodwork Supplies .....
Some sanding disks for the Duo and disk sander ....
Then a new pen drill and ring forming tool.

martrix
22nd October 2006, 10:48 PM
Didn't pick up much at the show. Was mainly after some nice timbers.
Nothing really took my fancy apart from this loverly little bunch I dug out of a box.
Generally these pieces look pretty useless to most, but they caught my eye and i think they will yield some excellent timber for some hand tools I need to make like a couple of blade setting Mallets, a set of adjustable squares and some timber hand planes.
From left to right, the timbers are Acacia Havilandi, Figured 'Bull Oak', Acacia Carnei or 'Purple Wattle Wood' also known as 'Dead Finnish', and the black dirty lookin' stick at the front is Ancient Redgum.

I have started milling up the Acacia Havilandi or 'Needle Wattle' as it looked like it would have some awesome tight figuring in it, and i wasn't let down.
Was quite difficult trying to work out the best way of slicing it up, as the piece was a twisted mess and quite short. Ended doing it all on the bandsaw with a bit of help from an electric planer and a belt sander.
Bit scary at times though, bits fly off and have to be very carefully with the positioning off the digits.

Picked up a 4000/8000 Norton waterstone for good measure too.

bennylaird
22nd October 2006, 11:00 PM
Only bought one thing, but it's priceless.....

A forum cap:D :D :D :D

However, when I can get the Red Red Black Red to work I'm gunna take one of Brendans machines off him. Think I'll in luv:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No you silly bugrs, the machine not Brendan:mad: :mad: :p

Stuart
22nd October 2006, 11:03 PM
My wallet had a pretty quiet show all told.

Got a lettering template, and bought a solid carbide 22degree point cutter from Carbitool to go with it

Got some of those pine boards from Porta - $10 each 900x450 (at the end of the show ;) ), a couple of round table tops (free), and a fireplace mantlepiece for $40 (normally about $160 in Bunnies)

A replacement blade for my Japanese-type saw

Very subdued for me :rolleyes:

bennylaird
22nd October 2006, 11:10 PM
I had intended to buy a jointer but had second thoughs, refrained from spending so I can save for a better machine.

Correction!!! The second best

The best thing at the show could not be bought, it was the mateship of fellow forum members there. Thanks all who I caught up with made it a great day out.

The best thing was the Makita chick but bet Gumby will back that up:D :D

Gumby
22nd October 2006, 11:12 PM
The best thing at the show could not be bought, it was the mateship of fellow forum members there. .

I thought it was the Makita Chick. :D

Clinton1
22nd October 2006, 11:28 PM
The Makita chick..... I'm thinking that this person is a myth. Twice I've gone and never seen her. I look, I search... I am dissappointed :(

Gumby
22nd October 2006, 11:30 PM
The Makita chick..... I'm thinking that this person is a myth. Twice I've gone and never seen her. I look, I search... I am dissappointed :(

she was prolly out the back with me :D

scooter
23rd October 2006, 12:58 AM
...diamond T-dresser (works brilliantl) ...

Didn't waste any time, mate :)

scooter
23rd October 2006, 01:02 AM
she was prolly out the back with me :D

:rolleyes: Didn't waste any time, mate :D

Felder
23rd October 2006, 02:12 AM
I'm gunna take one of Brendans machines off him. Think I'm in luv

Creepy, Benny....

The best thing was the Makita chick but bet Gumby will back that up:D :D

What about the Felder bloke? :confused:

Oh wait. Judging by the other post, I'm glad you liked the Makita chick. :D

I mean....the Makita sales-lady.:rolleyes:

Stuart
23rd October 2006, 09:22 AM
she was prolly out the back with me :DOnly one I saw was made out of cardboard - be a pretty wooden conversation wouldn't it Gumby?

Gra
23rd October 2006, 09:49 AM
As Isaid in the other thread,

My wife got the 4 peice train track routre bits set from mcjing.

My father got a cheap set of digital verniers (He doesnt know about the good set he is getting for christmas)

and me I got a brand new MC1100 for carba-tec, all I have to do now is to find some time to go down and pick it up.... (Spent all day sunday doing jobs around the house to work off the cost... 1/2 of them are done)

Have to agree about the makita chick, but strangly got a sore head whenever I looked at her (My wife is way too observant)

bennylaird
23rd October 2006, 10:06 AM
Hey Gra, where those Sunday jobs involving shed cleaning mate???:D :D :D

Best post a before pic and I will as well, see who can finally get a shed workable. Any news on the use of the lathe? No playing till after xmas still?:D

Gra
23rd October 2006, 10:13 AM
Hey Gra, where those Sunday jobs involving shed cleaning mate???:D :D :D

Best post a before pic and I will as well, see who can finally get a shed workable. Any news on the use of the lathe? No playing till after xmas still?:D
No didnt get a chanse, had to do house fixing things, you know fix a gate latch, trim up a broken pool cleaning pole and redrill so it can be used (end broke off). Shed cleaning starts next weekend, it has too I pick the boxes up next week, and need somewhere to put them. Just remember if I have to put them somewhere, it will take up less room if it is together;), then I am going to have to test it to see if it works, just in case I need to return it of cause..:D:D

Gumby
23rd October 2006, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes: Didn't waste any time, mate :D

what's 3 minutes in a lifetime anyway :D

Gumby
23rd October 2006, 10:18 AM
Only one I saw was made out of cardboard - be a pretty wooden conversation wouldn't it Gumby?

who said anything about talking ? :confused:

;)

Wood Borer
23rd October 2006, 10:29 AM
An LN scrub plane
The LN side dado set of planes
An electric plane

Marking gauge

Metal detector

A couple of electric saws.

Something like a router table but with a built in motor.

I bought the power tools because the chook shed at the new place needs fixing up and the salesman told me they would be right for the job. agreed so I went for them.:cool:

RETIRED
23rd October 2006, 11:47 AM
An LN scrub plane
The LN side dado set of planes
An electric plane

Marking gauge

Metal detector

A couple of electric saws.

Something like a router table but with a built in motor.

I bought the power tools because the chook shed at the new place needs fixing up and the salesman told me they would be right for the job. agreed so I went for them.:cool:I want WIP photos.
:D

Gra
23rd October 2006, 11:49 AM
I want WIP photos.
:D

just dont ask this of gumby

bennylaird
23rd October 2006, 11:50 AM
Why is it Gumby's birthday?

Wood Borer
23rd October 2006, 11:51 AM
First picture

Gra
23rd October 2006, 11:54 AM
Why is it Gumby's birthday?

isnt it always.. I was just having nightmares like the poor makita girl..

Wood Borer
23rd October 2006, 12:01 PM
I had a coupla Pfeils.:cool:
For carving of course.

I dropped a Pfeil:( fortunately it dropped handle first.

She isn't rich anymore in dollar terms Al but quite wealthy in terms of having a doting husband of 29 years anniversary celebrated yesteday.

Waldo
23rd October 2006, 06:33 PM

G'day Clinton,

I thought she was a myth too as I didn't see her last year, but saw her this year though. She had too much on damnit. :eek: As in most things in life, you can look but you can't touch - goes for a lot of tools too , damint.

ozwinner
23rd October 2006, 06:45 PM
I dropped a Pfeil:( fortunately it dropped handle first.

Its a bugger when you let a Pfeil go isnt it? :p Thats one Pfeil you will never get back. :D :D :D

She isn't rich anymore in dollar terms Al but quite wealthy in terms of having a doting husband of 29 years anniversary celebrated yesteday.

Same here, we are heading for 31 years, it only feels like yesterday we met.

Al :cool:

baxter
23rd October 2006, 06:46 PM
Flying home so couldn't buy much on Saturday. Solved problem, brought a bigger suitcase before returning to the show on Sunday. Still had to limit purchases because of weight but managed to get some McJing HSS that I wanted and a new attachment for the Tormek and some goodies from Jim Carol.

Did any of you happen to notice the bike that the attractive Makita sales attendant was standing in front of:) :) . More importantly can any of you describe the bike:D :D .

What was the bike there for. I wasn't game to ask in case I stuttered;) .

Gra, don't forget that the warranty starts from the day of purchase and you can't afford to loose any time in testing all aspects of the lathe.

Gra
23rd October 2006, 09:24 PM
Gra, don't forget that the warranty starts from the day of purchase and you can't afford to loose any time in testing all aspects of the lathe.

I fully intend to use that excuse, though I know she will have already come up with some counter... (Been married too long..)

By the way what bike, I never saw a bike, oh it must have been lower than I was looking....

Glenn_M
23rd October 2006, 09:39 PM
I saw the bike. Is that a Code Violation?
The Makita girl was standing behind the bike at the time. I think I'm acquitted.

Clinton1
23rd October 2006, 10:11 PM
Damn, missed again. Have to go next year! :)
I missed Neil at the Ubeaut stand, he looked like he was heading out for a break the first time, and the second time he was looking over some machinery. Would have like to have said G'day and had a chat. I met Christopher and said g'day.
Also had a yarn to Richard Vaughn and caught his cabinet scraper demo, I think he was gald to get some feedback on his demo's, and what I learnt from them.
Said G'day to Colin Clenton, told him he was a champ. Good to see someone that has followed a passion and made good.

Somehow the edge trimmer plane from LV and the clamps I was gonna get got forgotten about.... the furniture displays overloaded my brain :rolleyes:

Toggy
23rd October 2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, my bag felt a bit heavy on the way home; and when I checked it; somehow or other a LV LA smoother and a HNT smoother had found their way in with the camelia oil and other bag fillers. Honest luv, they just followed me home; its too far to take them back; so can I keep them. They won't eat much.:D

Missed U and got the strap:eek: from Beaut for picking on her staff. Truth is she was doing the work and Chris was "supervising".

Ken

Stuart
23rd October 2006, 11:07 PM
Had a look at the McJing train bits - seeing as they were $40 cheaper than I paid. Didn't look the same as the $99 set that I got a couple of months ago - the rail cutting bit looked a lot simpler than the one that came with my set.

I may be wrong though - didn't see the 4th bit of the set - anyone have a photo of the $60 set?

Gra
23rd October 2006, 11:13 PM
Fourth bit was for single track routing, as the double track bit only does straight lines. (Or so the instructions I downloaded explain, though not from mcjing as their wesite doesnt seem to work for me).

My camera has died, so I cant photograph them (Cant afford a new one now...), but have a look at www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/graphics2/33traintrack.pdf (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/graphics2/33traintrack.pdf)

Slow6
23rd October 2006, 11:23 PM
had a chat to the woodfast blokes, sorted myself out for some bearings.
had a perv at the mills, had a look at some very exy wood.
had a look at the vwa stuff (the fish through the table gets my origionality vote)
picked up a tub of eee eyeballed Niel and his missus.

went home.

I was kinda dissapointed all up, the timber on offer gave me a bit of a shock.
I was expecting to pick up a few bits and maybe a slab, even took out a wad from the bank for the day.
Does cutting a circle and adding wax really make a lump of wood worth that much? as for the guitar shaped bits labeled "buitar blank" c'mooooon now
if I wanted to build a guitar and was going to pay $250 for a lump of maple I'd bloody well want the corner offcuts too.

oh well, the missus was happy that the wad came home with me unspent.

maybe I'm just a hick who doesn't appreciate the beauty of a warehouse full of salesmen:o

Cliff Rogers
23rd October 2006, 11:44 PM
Don't worry Slow, I've got a bit of curly grained hardwood here that will keep you busy for a while. ;) :D

Slow6
24th October 2006, 12:11 AM
Don't worry Slow, I've got a bit of curly grained hardwood here that will keep you busy for a while. ;) :D

beauty Cliff:D I'd forgotton about that, shall we post away then?

mmmm... curly and mysterious:cool:

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2006, 12:24 AM
beauty Cliff:D I'd forgotton about that, shall we post away then?

mmmm... curly and mysterious:cool:
Yeap, the end grain cuts beautifully.... with a TCT 40 tooth saw at about 3000rpm, tears out & rips up like a bugger with a chisel at 800rpm.... a real challenge for you.:D
I have a few little bits of interesting stuff as packing to 'sweeten' the deal. :p

baxter
24th October 2006, 10:04 AM
I was kinda dissapointed all up, the timber on offer gave me a bit of a shock.
I was expecting to pick up a few bits and maybe a slab, even took out a wad from the bank for the day.
Does cutting a circle and adding wax really make a lump of wood worth that much?

Slow it is interesting to see your comment about the price of timber at the show. It certainly doesn't take into account the fact that none of the five timber suppliers (that I saw) were from Melbourne or even from Victoria.

Boutique Timber, Cedarworks and Mullumbimby Woodworks are all from northern NSW, a burl chap from WA and the lovely timber from Tasmania. How much to you think it cost them to transport their timber to Melbourne and then return any unsold pieces. Add to that the cost of their own travel, food, accomodation in Melbourne and that is before they pay for their stand at the show.

Obviously these expenses have to be reflected in the cost of the timber that is offered for sale. I have purchased from two of those sources at their own premises and they are very reasonably priced. All will freight to you.

What is the alternative? They don't come and there is no "expensive":confused: timber. Or, the local suppliers come to the show and they can show their wares.

You have the solution that suited you. You saw, you didn't like the prices and you did not buy. But take into account the overheads those guys outlaid to give you the opportunity to make that decision. So don't complain.

Better still get you local people to support YOUR show!

Slow6
24th October 2006, 11:23 AM
Cliff.. sounds like fun :) I'll pop by the post office this arvo and send yours off.

Baxter.. the prices were high mate, any way you look at it. believe me I would have spent the money if I thought I couldn't do better else where.

at any rate its only my opinion.. dont let it get you all worked up.

Iain
24th October 2006, 11:33 AM
the prices were high

I use a local timber supplier (or two) and they are very cheap in comparison.
Despite entry fees, accommodation,meals etc etc you still need to be competitive and these would/should be factored into normal retail prices.

We used to attend the Fishing show as a wholesaler and I couldn't even sell to recoup my costs as the retailers would be up in arms, had to rely on people seeing my product and going to a retailer to purchase.

Slow6
24th October 2006, 12:26 PM
had to rely on people seeing my product and going to a retailer to purchase.

Gday Iain. I would have thought that was the whole idea of attending a show, to get your product out there into the puplic eye. I'd be a bit shocked if any company big or small attended a show like that expecting to make a big prifit over one weekend (maybe I'm wrong). surely the aim is to get a sample into as many sweaty mits as possible along with a catalouge and a phone number.

or at the very least to install a bit of product recognition into the market.

I dunno, I also heard what people were paying for a small stall so maybe the problem lies with the venue, you'd think at 15 a head for entry the stall holders could be given a break.

Iain
24th October 2006, 12:36 PM
Haven't been for over 10 years now, but used to cost $3500.00 for 1.5 x 2.00 metres, want a chair thats extra, want lighting another plus.
Mobile phones really buggered them though, got you for every little thing they could, seagrass matting, table chair, all the 'stalls' were covered and you had to have a light.
This was in the old exhibition building and it wasn't the same organisers as WWW but I'll bet the prices won't be much different.
And bloody kids coming around and taking all the flyers just for the hell of having them, light fingered bastards pinching whatever they could and the sheila opposite doing a demo all day with the noisiest 12v vacuum cleaner I've ever heard.

baxter
24th October 2006, 03:31 PM
Baxter.. the prices were high mate, any way you look at it. believe me I would have spent the money if I thought I couldn't do better else where.

at any rate its only my opinion.. dont let it get you all worked up.

Slow I appreciate your opinion and am only responding as a person who has been involved in the administrative side, of a largish wood show (nothing to do with WWW Shows), who has had to encourage suppliers to attend a woodworking show.

The fact is that, yours & Iain's preferences, to purchase timber from a cheaper source only reinforces my comments. Particularly for timber suppliers, show related costs have to be factored into the show prices and not carried into their normal retail prices. There there is no mass production of timber and it cannot be sold from catalogues. There may only be one particular piece that suits a customer's specific requirements. By going to the show the suppliers gives the customer the opportunity of seeing, feeling etc. before buying. This opportunity to select is what can make timber "expensive" at shows. However, if those suppliers were not there, then we would have a wood show without any wood.

Given that many show patrons do not live in the immediate vicinity of a number of timber suppliers, then the shows can be their only opportunity to compare various types of timber and select pieces that suit their requirements.

Therefore, whether timber is expensive or not is an objective view of the customer. But don't forget that if the supplier makes a loss then they won't return to another show. The costs of the next show will be spread over fewer exhibitors and this will increase overall costs to everybody, including the patrons. A point may be reached where shows are no longer financially viable and none of us will have the opportunity of comparing and shopping within the one specialised environment that a woodworking show provides.

Hobart is probably an example of this, where, I understand, the shows are now bi-annually. WWW shows (as such) are no longer held in Perth.

I suppose I am trying to say that if we don't accept that shows come at a cost and support the suppliers that do attend, then there will not be any shows at all. This even extends to the acceptance that the presence of non-wood related exhibitors does go towards the offsetting of the cost of staging a show.

Local suppliers, who don't support shows, would think this was good. However we (particularly those from non metropolitian areas) would loose the opportunities that a large show provides.

Iain
24th October 2006, 04:51 PM
I needed a piece of blackwood about 90 x 45 x 1000, found a piece at the show and they wanted over $120 for it, my local supplier has it for $45.
Had it been in the same range I would have purchased same but not at almost x3.

baxter
24th October 2006, 06:36 PM
Iain on those numbers I must agree.

I wasn't in the market for timber because of travel arrangements, however I did inquire about a few pieces that I liked and the prices were not to a multiple of 3 to what I would have expected.

But my thoughts are general concerning the exhibitor's expense etc. of attendance and it is then for the individual to decide whether they buy or not. The exhibitor will then assess whether it is worth coming again. But to make a comment about prices generally can have the effect of detering patrons from attending in future years.
Enough on this subject. I can get back into the shed tomorrow night!

Iain
24th October 2006, 06:42 PM
TRust me, I was not having a shot at you, but when confronted with little $25 tubs of shoe polish (which is why I wear runners to the show:D ), et al, I tend to look very closely at prices.
The regulars are fine and I look forward to Neil and our Scot/Chinese friend (McJing) as well as a few others, but some seem to go over the top.

baxter
24th October 2006, 06:54 PM
TRust me, I was not having a shot at you, but when confronted with little $25 tubs of shoe polish (which is why I wear runners to the show:D ), et al, I tend to look very closely at prices.

I didn't say you have to stop and look at the non-wood stalls it is just that they help may the cost of the venue.

I have nothing to do with them or similar, but I accept that they can be there to fill up that space.

I know that to put chairs there, instead of them, would be an expensive exercise and not income productive.

scooter
24th October 2006, 09:51 PM
Its a bugger when you let a Pfeil go isnt it? :p Thats one Pfeil you will never get back. :D :D :D

Is that called copping a Pfeil? ;)

Same here, we are heading for 31 years, it only feels like yesterday we met.

That's Al-zheimers for yer, right there :p

sinjin
26th October 2006, 07:00 AM
I bought a 8" Fein randon orbit sander and a bandsaw Clico style copy plug cutter, 4000# water stone and a DVD off Lie Neislon

myguitar
26th October 2006, 09:59 AM
One of the students the guitar making school grabbed a great deal with a Work bench band saw. From $750 to $400. Just pushed down to the last minute of the show as they did not want to take the equipment back to the warehouse with them. And of course he saved on freight.

I picked up some great timber veneers for headstocks of guitars and a handmade winebottle top made of olive wood. (Christmas shopping)

Enjoy! ;)

kiwigeo
26th October 2006, 10:17 AM
lie neilson bronze low angle block plane
cam clamps from timbecon
teeny weeny metabo bas260 bench bandsaw

Grant what was the price on the cam clamps? How do they compare to the LMI/Stewmac clamps?