PDA

View Full Version : ezy-bead?

myla
22nd October 2006, 10:14 AM
Hello,

has anybody used the Ezy-Bead system when doing square set?

would love any feedback or anybody who might want to sell the equipment.

thankyou

myla

rod@plasterbrok
22nd October 2006, 05:45 PM
Myla, are you selling this product?

There are a number of methods on the market to do square set.

Paper tape
Metal beads
Plastic beads
or Paper/metal (beedex) beads.
Flexi tape (paper tape with metal strip)
Straight Flex (stiffened paper tape)

Is ezy bead a plastic bead?

I have not come across anyone either requesting this product or using this product.

Cheer Rod Dyson

myla
22nd October 2006, 06:56 PM
hello,

have seen it at the Aus Palster company shops and they are reccomending it for the square set

it is a solid metal bead with paper stuck to it (may well be one you have mentioned Rod)

there is a roller device which presses or installs it from what I can tell

I do solid plastering, but asked to do plasterboard job and square set is required

what would be the best route?

got no problem trowelling, things must be spot on

thankyou
myla

rod@plasterbrok
23rd October 2006, 01:17 PM
All our Tradies just use paper tape, providing the frames are straight the job comes up ok.

These angles are all designed to take out any small framing faults or cover gaps in the angle without having to prefill.

There are a variety of tools out to apply the plaster to the internal, then the roller is used to embedd the tape into the basecoat, there are also tools available to then sweep over the internal to cover the tape with base coat. These tools used properly will speed up the job. They can also be used with plain paper tape.

The Bazooka is the best internal tool but is expensive and takes a few jobs to get the hang of it. That is why the other taping devices have been comming out in recent years. The Bazoka applies the tape and basecoat in one application, then you use the roller and sweeper to finish off.

We could square set and do the internals of an average home in one mix.
Mind you that is with 3 experienced operators.

These other tools are ok, certainly quicker than doing them by hand. Hard to justify the cost though if you only do a job now and then.

They also take a few jobs to get used to using them, so don't expect to save any time on the first job or so. But when you get used to them they will save you heaps of time. Quality wise, you still have to be carefull and may still need to fix up around bad framing.

Cheers

Rod

rod@plasterbrok
23rd October 2006, 03:25 PM
Just a bit more info.

The Ezybead is very similar to beedex angles, the difference is the beedex angles can be set into obtuse externals where the esybead is set up exclusively for 90 degree internal angles.

Esybead has a continuous metal angle covered with paper tape set at 90 degrees.

It is used with a hopper that you fill with plaster and slide the tape through a slot. This applies the mud to the tape which is then placed into the corner. Then it is rolled in place with a roller that embedds the tape into the corner. The excess is squeezed out to the side that is then cleaned off with a 4" scraper.

Esybead has its ownroller and hopper that is specifically set up to the angle of the bead. It cant be used with other hoppers and rollers on the market because of the angle they are set up at. At least that is what I am told. I am not totally convinced this is the case!!!

As I mentioned before the system would be quicker once you get used to it than setting tapes by hand. The hopper and roller will cost about $252 plus GST. Of course the angles themselves will be also dearer that using standard paper tape.

Hope this helps.

myla
23rd October 2006, 07:39 PM
hello,

thanks for replies

the frame has been lasered and shaved/packed as required

looking for "best" finish, have no problem with trowelling

thankyou
myla

PlasterPro
4th November 2006, 05:09 PM
myla

ezy-bead is the one of the best for square set. killer finish, not a great deal of experience needed with this system will have you mastering it in no time,

also if you buy the hopper/roller for this system the rep will give you a free on site demo, it really is a fool proof system that leaves paper tape in the dark ages.
yes it is more expensive than some other systems but the finish is by far superior, hence it is becoming popular with top end builders
email me for more details think i still have brochure somewhere...;)

cheers

rod@plasterbrok
10th November 2006, 12:04 AM
Had a chance now to check out the ezybead system properly.

I have to agree with PlasterPro it will give you a great finish and is easy to master.

My only reservation is the added cost to the job in a highly competetive market. The angles are about the same price as an external angle. It will add around $100 - $150 to the materials for the average home, just to do the internals. If square set as well about $250 - $300 in total.

I know our guys tape in with the bazooka internals, and square set in about 2-3 hours for 2 guys. With the tape costing about $18 tops. By hand it might take 4-5 hours. I guess with ezybead it would be about 2-3 hours as well.

So cost wize it doesn't add up for us. However there are plenty of plasterers out there that just are not quick at internals, nor good. So for them they would be better off with ezybead.

Horses for courses I think. But they do do a great job!! I don't know if I would say superior job, because when done properly normal internals paint up just as good. It just depends on who does them!!

Cheers Rod

myla
10th November 2006, 06:19 PM
hello,

thanks for the replies

quality and longevity is what i am after

thankyou
myla

rod@plasterbrok
10th November 2006, 11:43 PM
Well normal paper taped internals will give you that if done properly. But so will the eazy bead and or any of the other paper or metal type beads. Each has their own pros and cons.

Avoid fibre glass tape for internals the quality is bad and they are prone to cracking.

cheers
rod

PlasterPro
11th November 2006, 07:09 PM
noticed in the debate about internals the question was missed all together

you can get the ezybead system from
Surrey Plaster
Peninsular Plaster Products
or any decent plaster supplier also these industry leaders will be only too happy to arrange a demo,

cheers