PDA

View Full Version : Jet VS Delta Midi

Skewpid
22nd October 2006, 05:20 PM
Hi guys:)

Im seriously considering blowing some dosh on a smaller lathe to do some of the 'littler' things like pens and small bowls etc. Also so I can hawl it outside and get some sun for a change:cool:

Now it seems to come down to two lathes. The Delta and the Jet, and it seems that there is no real lean one way or the other.

Can anybody help me here? Those who have them, I would appreciate your comments. Also, of course, if you have had the pleasure of using both .. your comparison pls.

Thanks heaps

DJ’s Timber
22nd October 2006, 05:33 PM
G'day Rich

As you probably know, I have just bought the Jet. I have only just started to use it but so far I am very happy with it and I think that it will be a great machine.

I did look at the Delta but was put off by the price from Carbatec, about $200 more than the Jet

lubbing5cherubs
22nd October 2006, 05:40 PM
If you don't want the variable speed part have a look at a leda at Carrol's she is a ripper. Well mine has done a lot of work and still got heaps left in her. Well she better :)
Toni

clubbyr8
22nd October 2006, 05:53 PM
Rich,

I have the Jet mini (non VS) that I bought specifically for pens, bottle stoppers etc. It's a great little machine and a pleasure to use. Can't comment on the Delta.

Bob

Skewpid
22nd October 2006, 07:12 PM
G'day Rich

As you probably know, I have just bought the Jet. I have only just started to use it but so far I am very happy with it and I think that it will be a great machine.

I did look at the Delta but was put off by the price from Carbatec, about $200 more than the Jet

Yes, you are to blame for this post, it was reading that you got one ya bugger that brought me to the next level.BTW ... my wife would like to say thanks:eek:

Did you get the variable speed?? .. would like to know just how much she would lose in torque.

Rich,

I have the Jet mini (non VS) that I bought specifically for pens, bottle stoppers etc. It's a great little machine and a pleasure to use. Can't comment on the Delta.

Bob

Coolies Bob ... I like to hear that.

If you don't want the variable speed part have a look at a leda at Carrol's she is a ripper. Well mine has done a lot of work and still got heaps left in her. Well she better :)
Toni

Thanks Toni. That one is very similar to the carbatec's one I believe? Ive been quite tempted by that one, however the budget is able to go a tad further. And you know what they all say ... always get the best you can afford:)

Ok .. so looks like its the Jet Mini ! ...

Now have to decide on VS or non VS ... hmmmm ... Time to ask now who has the VS one, and whether they now would have purchased the non VS one if they could go back in time:rolleyes:

DJ’s Timber
22nd October 2006, 07:24 PM
Yes, you are to blame for this post, it was reading that you got one ya bugger that brought me to the next level.BTW ... my wife would like to say thanks:eek:

Did you get the variable speed?? .. would like to know just how much she would lose in torque.

Yeah, gone on blame me:p , someone has to take the blame:D . You can tell your wife no worries at all:cool:

Mine is the non VS. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the VS, especially when the lathe is basically running on the one speed 99.9% of the time. If you're getting it mainly for pens I would go with the non VS.

I will be using mine for pens mainly, as I have the bigger VS lathe:D for my other stuff.

Basically it comes down to how bad you want the VS or spend the extra dough on other tools or more penkits:cool:

chrisb691
22nd October 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Rich,

I bought the Jet belt drive, and I have no regrets. The belt change can be a bit of a pita, partucularly if you have largish hands (I do). However, if you are doing a run of pens, it's just flat out and no switching speeds.

I am considering building a variable speed controller, down the track, which will go between the mains and the lathe plug. I figure that will give me the best of both worlds, and if I need to maximise torque I can just plug the lathe back into the mains, and switch speed on the belts. :cool:

Skewpid
22nd October 2006, 07:40 PM
Ok .:) . that does it!

Jet mini .. non VS it is.:D :D

Now ... anyone know who does the best deal for a Jet Mini Lathe in Sydney?:confused:

C'mon, theres gotta be some dealers lerking around in the shadows there awaiting an oppertunity to flog something that is discussed here on the forums???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DJ’s Timber
22nd October 2006, 07:55 PM
Rich, don't know any dealers in Sydney. I got mine from GPW (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/index.html) at the WWW show. He does courier stuff around Australia, so might be worth enquiring there

clubbyr8
22nd October 2006, 07:59 PM
I bought mine from Trend Timbers (same place I bought my DVR).

As for VS there was (is) a discussion on changing the belt drive model to a VS on one of the yankie forums (IAP I think). I think the motor they use is out of a treadmill. It also comes with reverse which the genuine VS doesn't (I think).

Bob

yaryetnom
22nd October 2006, 08:01 PM
I have a Delta & the only problem I have is the plastic handles break easily, even with my delicate blacksmith hands.

Regards,
Ray

baxter
22nd October 2006, 08:06 PM
Rich
The best Jet dealers in Sydney are either Major Woodworking Equipment at Padstow or Trend Timbers at Windsor. Both great people to deal with and they will obviously save you. the freight cost from GPW.

Skewpid
22nd October 2006, 08:39 PM
Rich, don't know any dealers in Sydney. I got mine from GPW (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/index.html) at the WWW show. He does courier stuff around Australia, so might be worth enquiring there

Saw that ... Gaz is asking $355 for the beastette . ..

Rich
The best Jet dealers in Sydney are either Major Woodworking Equipment at Padstow or Trend Timbers at Windsor. Both great people to deal with and they will obviously save you. the freight cost from GPW.

Seen that too (trend timbers) .. who ... do not have a price on the lathe ...hmmm .. and they are the closest too.

Ill call trend tomorrow. Just got the green light from SWMBO to get one for my birthday next week:D . Of course, only on the proviso that I can make a dishwasher with it. No probs babe!!!!:o

lubbing5cherubs
22nd October 2006, 08:43 PM
I want to see that dishwasher made on the lathe. Make me one too PPPPPLLLLLLEeeeeeasssse
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd October 2006, 09:15 PM
Just got the green light from SWMBO to get one for my birthday next week:D . Of course, only on the proviso that I can make a dishwasher with it. No probs babe!!!!:o

ROFL! That's the sorta thing that gets me into soooo much trouble... :D

I want to see that dishwasher made on the lathe. Make me one too PPPPPLLLLLLEeeeeeasssse

It's basically soap wrapped in a flannel, attached to a stick by two rubber bands. Trust me Toni, you don't really want one. ;)

Skewpid
22nd October 2006, 09:52 PM
It's basically soap wrapped in a flannel, attached to a stick by two rubber bands. Trust me Toni, you don't really want one. ;)

.... bugger, I thought I just came up with that! .. .

soundman
23rd October 2006, 12:43 AM
I remember seeing a review the jet V delta.
the jet came out ahead.

In spite of being smaller and cheaper.

The jet is sooo smooth and big hearted.

Crikey ther must be at least 20 regulars on here have em.... none I've heard disapointed.

cheers

Coldamus
23rd October 2006, 10:58 AM
Before I bought my Jet Mini, I agonised for ages over whether or not to get the variable speed. Finally decided not to because it is only variable within the speed range determined by the pulley that the belt is on. i.e. you still have to move the belt to get a different speed range. It is not like the Nova where the speed is variable all the way from zero up to top speed.

When I got my lathe (non-variable), the speed change issue became a non-event as I found that I hardly ever needed to change the speed and it was quite easy to move the belt when necessary.

regards
Coldamus

Skewpid
23rd October 2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks again all .. still pondering about the variable speed.

Trend Timbers seem to be the ones to choose. They have the standard Jet @ $345, and the VS @ $515

Gary Pye is $355, and a local supplier here in Sydney is trying to get $627 :eek: for it! (A shame, coz they are nice blokes)

So ... Trend it is for the time being.

Will post a pic when the baby arrives:D