PDA

View Full Version : Triton respirator users

j.stevens
22nd October 2006, 06:15 PM
Do users of the Triton powered respirators wear them all the time in the workshop, or only when actually cutting, routing, sanding etc.?
Does anyone find the weight a problem?

Gumby
22nd October 2006, 07:15 PM
No problem with the weight, although on a really hot day they aren't fun.

Rule 1. Don't put the battery pack behind you. If you fart, it's hell in there. :D

I use mine mainly when sanding anything or cutting MDF particularly.

It's also very handy to have on if you are cutting up a lot of onions. Seriously. :)

Tex B
22nd October 2006, 08:03 PM
I only wear it when I'm doing something that produces dust.

Haven't had a problem with the weight. Only problem is when I forget I have it on and try to blow some dust off the workpiece.

Tex

Cliff Rogers
22nd October 2006, 10:23 PM
Yeap, what they said & I can vouch for the flatus problem. :p

Sir Stinkalot
22nd October 2006, 10:24 PM
I only use mine when I am working as I find that it is bloody uncomfortable, prone to falling apart and generally gets in the way.

In its favour however it does do a good job at keeping the dust out of the lungs and bits of wood hitting me in the head. If it wasn't so chunky and stayed together I would likely leave it on to combat the residual air borne dust particles that can be hanging around for quite some time after the machinery is turned off.

The Triton respirator has taught me one thing ..... it is a great advantage to wear a respirator when undertaking most tasks in the shed ..... oh it has taught me another thing ..... when it finally dies and I need to replace it ..... I will be looking for a lighter, better quality finished respirator.

Stuart
22nd October 2006, 10:39 PM
Falling apart? Not had that problem ever. But then, I did modify mine (as is well documented) by adding some extra velcro under air trunking in the helmet. Did that years ago, and have never looked back. (forgot I even had done it!)

Sir Stinkalot
22nd October 2006, 11:00 PM
Stuart ....

I have found that it will not stay on my head unless I have the muffs on ..... one day the air trunking decided to pop off by itself ..... the elastic around the muffs has lost its bounce and no longer holds on .... basically the entire black material part has lost its will to live and no longer sits well around the helmet to create a good seal. Oh and the air flow is still as low as the day I bought it.

I also followed your mods with the quick release hose and it also appears that we both needed the extra velcro.

It really is a love/hate relationship ..... I love the fact that it protects me but I hate the clunky design and I think with a little more care they could have made a very impressive product. Obviously trying to keep the price down has lead to some sacrifices.

Stuart
22nd October 2006, 11:31 PM
Interesting points - I just replaced the black material on mine - it had seen better days and was due for a replacement - the elastic had died, and the material wasn't far behind it. Got a good amount of use out of it, and now my helmet is back to as-new condition. Worth thinking about.

I don't disagree with your viewpoint - for the price, it is a great helmet.

BobL
23rd October 2006, 12:40 AM
I just bought one and tried it out today. I guessed my shed would be too small and yep the hose occasionally got tangled up in stuff. I was also hoping for a bit more air flow - I wonder how uncomfortable it will be when summer arrives. Still for those really dusty jobs I think it will be worth it and maybe I will be used to it by then.

Tex B
23rd October 2006, 10:27 AM
Bob.

When I first got mine, the airflow was a bit slow. After using it for a couple of weeks (a few hours of actual use) I recharged the unit, and the airflow is now much better. Keeps the little ball up right against the pin on the test unit. Then I looked at the instructions, and yep, it said the airflow improves after a bit. You could try leaving it on for a few hours while you're doing something else, to run down the battery, then recharge and see how it does.

Tex

robatman
23rd October 2006, 01:47 PM
Just been using mine as a faceshield when turning, and then put on the belt and hook it into the helment when sanding. Only prob is that you have to have it slightly open to avoid fogging when the respirator is not attached.

Thinking of getting a lighter, face only shield as the whole helmet is pretty heavy- although having the muffs attached makes sure you use them.

Robert

Jon
23rd October 2006, 03:00 PM
I do most of my work outside and let the breeze clear the dust, the exception is working on MDF.

I use mine while using the lathe or other power tools inside the shed.

Jon

Interwood
24th October 2006, 02:12 PM
Hi All,

Probably the best Triton probuct I have purchased. However, I recently put mine on and found that the right ear-muff will no longer lock (push) against my ear. The catch (or something) appears to have 'broken'.

I can see that the broken side appears to be missing a spring - so I'll check out the exploded parts diagram on the Triton Website.

Has anyone else had this experience, or have any ideas on how to fix it please?

Thanks, Interwood

Stuart
24th October 2006, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a spring has sprung

Markw
27th October 2006, 10:36 AM
Guys
When your ready for a professional level respirator, use a 3M HT-400 head piece. No ear muffs, no hard hat, just a visor with a skirt. If you want ear protection use muffs which rotate at the connection to the head band and wear the band at the neck or use ear plugs. I use plugs and find them more comfortable than muffs, but I know there are many out there who can't wear plugs for various reasons.

Without the hardhat or add on muffs, you'll be surpised how much weight comes off your neck and how much cooler it is to use.

You couple the HT-400 to a 3M Dustmaster belt pack. The dust master provides what feels like double the air supply of the Triton unit and can run for somewhere between 4 to 5 hours on a full charge. If you want a full 8 hrs, use the Jupitor series backpack but the're pretty big dollars.

Down side of the Dustmaster with HT-400 head piece - its a professional level respirator and comes with a higher price tag but how much do you value your health.

old_picker
27th October 2006, 10:53 PM
Guys
When your ready for a professional level respirator, use a 3M HT-400 head piece.

Where can I see one of these?
Googled and came up with nowt.

Markw
28th October 2006, 11:51 AM
Where can I see one of these?
Googled and came up with nowt.

Start off by googling "3M Dustmaster" as this is the base unit then look for the link to modular range on L/H/S of screen and select the HT series 400 visor.

I get most of my stuff through Blackwoods Group who purchase from 3M. You may find other retailers of 3M Health & Safety in your area by contacting 3M customer service.

BTW I have no financial interests with either Blackwoods or 3M

craigb
28th October 2006, 01:16 PM
I hardly ever wear mine.

I find it really uncomfortable and heavy. The constant droning of the motor is a PITA too.

I mostly use a rubber dust mask with the two air filters when I'm doing something that creates a lot of dust.

The Triton is very good for when you are doing something like cutting sandstone with an angle grinder.

Probably be good for lathe work too I guess. I don't have one of those though.

I wouldn't buy another one though.

soundman
30th October 2006, 12:04 AM
The triton respirator strikes me as a prop that didn't make it into a 60's sci fi moovie.

cheers

Markw
30th October 2006, 07:37 AM
The triton respirator strikes me as a prop that didn't make it into a 60's sci fi moovie.

What do you expect!

It been assembled from bits and pieces so that it sort of makes a respirator, ie take 1 hard hat with a visor, stick some sealing material between visor & helmet, add some ear muffs, tack on a shroud, add some more after market bits and look we have a respirator. Even the filters are somebody elses.