PDA

View Full Version : November Pen Swap

rowie
24th October 2006, 12:35 AM
Hi guys:) , I need addresses and your picks on what you would like to turn as your blanks. You have the choice of;
African Iroko
English Elm
PNG Rosewood
Victorian Blackwood
NSW Bulloak
Red Cedar
The choice is yours,
cheers
Dale:)

Touchwood
24th October 2006, 12:55 AM
African Iroko
English Elm
PNG Rosewood
Victorian Blackwood
NSW Bulloak
Red Cedar

runs up to shed to hunt thru box of 'treasures' to try to find samples to see what they all look like ...... any hints on the theme before the choice???;)

What a fantatic selection to pick from!!

JD

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2006, 10:47 AM
G'day Dale

I will email you with a list of current participants which you can print off and then stick on to the parcels

DJ’s Timber
24th October 2006, 11:53 AM
Crikey twist our arms will ya:eek: . What to pick:confused: .

PNG Rosewood and African Iroko for me thanks Dale.

Do we get a third one for cutting up for laminating or slivers?:cool:

lubbing5cherubs
24th October 2006, 01:34 PM
Dale I trust you to pick me some nice wood. I love bull oak but not sure on the rest so trust you to set me up nice.
Toni

Stuart
24th October 2006, 01:58 PM
African Iroko and English Elm (or Bull Oak) would be my preferences. Love having a choice!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm so impartial that I'd have to say "one of each, please." :D:D

Whatever you send will be fine, it gives me something to look forward to. ;)

Terry B
24th October 2006, 03:49 PM
Hi guys:) , I need addresses and your picks on what you would like to turn as your blanks. You have the choice of;
African Iroko
English Elm
PNG Rosewood
Victorian Blackwood
NSW Bulloak
Red Cedar
The choice is yours,
cheers
Any would be great (except the PNG rosewood that I have plenty of)
Fabulous choices and thanks.

ss_11000
24th October 2006, 03:56 PM
wow, choices choices.
elm and rosewood or cedar ( which ever contrasts best with elm )

cheers

fxst
24th October 2006, 06:40 PM
African Iroko, English Elm are wood of choice as I have ample of the restthanks or like Skew 1 of each :D :D
Pete

chrisb691
24th October 2006, 07:03 PM
Hi Dale,

I take whatever you send me.

Thanks,

Joash
24th October 2006, 07:29 PM
I will abstain from this pen swap, please exclude me. -- It has nothing to do with you or your wood:D It is time

dai sensei
24th October 2006, 07:45 PM
African Iroko
English Elm
PNG Rosewood
Victorian Blackwood
NSW Bulloak
Red Cedar
The choice is yours,
cheers

Haven't used Iroko, Elm ot Bullock, so would be my preference. I also prefer similar hardness timber though, as I have a bad habit of joining them together:o :p . Up to you Dale, but thanks for asking.

Fireman sam
24th October 2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Dale
can I have African Iroke & English Elm please :rolleyes:
Andrew

Skewpid
24th October 2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Dale,

I'm too new at all this to know whats good for me:p

So Im gonna leave the selection up to you mate.

Tassie Boy
24th October 2006, 08:54 PM
I will abstain from this pen swap, please exclude me. -- It has nothing to do with you or your wood:D It is time

Me too i can i please be excluded from this one..I am just to busy..
Thanks i will be back for December though.:)

rowie
24th October 2006, 11:11 PM
any hints on the theme before the choice???;)

What a fantastic selection to pick from!!

JDThanks Jen, I was thinking "sunset", but what I really wanted was for you all to express yourselves with whatever the wood tells you to do with it.I will try to send everyone their own choices and I will be very interested to see the results:D
As for u Skew u greedy bugger, you'll get what your given:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2006, 11:28 PM
It was worth a try. :D

Touchwood
25th October 2006, 12:31 AM
I'll be delirious with whatever you wish to send me ... I thinks part of the whole experience is getting the bundle in the mail and opening it to see what it looks like ... a bit like Christmas ... then the oohhing and aaarhing and the planning.

I was thinking "sunset"
I'm hoping that's a lovely WA sunset without a fire in sight (as you know, the smoke thurns them bright orange then!), I see lovely ones reflected off our tuart's in the evening. The best ones are the ones I'm riding my horse into:p :p :p

JD

soundman
25th October 2006, 11:48 AM
iroko & bull oak for me.

If you update your, sell swap listing you may be able to consolidate some sales with your swap postings.
cheers

rowie
4th November 2006, 11:21 PM
everyone got what they wanted, and more. After I had wrapped them I realised I could bump them up to 250g, at no extra cost. So, I brought them home and added some extra bits. Your parcels will start arriving as of Monday. I am so very sorry for them being late.

DJ’s Timber
4th November 2006, 11:58 PM
Sounds cool dude, extras are always a bonus

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2006, 12:33 AM
Gawd, I hope I can get rid of my bad juju before these blanks turn up!

I destroyed another today, making two pens in three or four days... (plus a few tools, breadboards & my fingers, as mentioned in another thread. :() This is getting to be bloody ridiculous. :mad:

lubbing5cherubs
5th November 2006, 12:28 PM
oh Cool Rowie old mate :D

Skew mate I am sorry. Must be the weather. I can't get a pen to come together that gives you that well done feeling. Must be going around. Hope it buggers off real soon and you get some fun done, but at least I have not grabbed a bandsaw blade again
Toni

dai sensei
7th November 2006, 09:16 PM
I got an express post bag today. I thought, hmm, I've already got my Froggie order, and my Carrols, so what is this :confused: . It was relatively heavy and full of bits and pieces - couldn't wait, so ripped it open, then:eek: - it was Rowie's big big bag of pen blanks :D :D :D

Gee Rowie, how many months are you providing blanks for again, there is heaps in the bag :cool: . Thanks mate :p

Now got to decide what the hell I am going to do :confused:

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2006, 01:24 PM
Mine arrived today:D .

Boy do I have some choices:eek: , will have to put the thinking cap on for this one methinks:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2006, 03:06 PM
And mine. Gonna have to do a Toni pen, I think... one with all the feathers, beads, bells & whistles. ;)

Or maybe not. :D

lubbing5cherubs
8th November 2006, 03:09 PM
Skew bells and whistle I like to see that :D
Do we have a theme this month or not?
Toni

ss_11000
8th November 2006, 03:23 PM
mine arrived yesterday. got quite a shock at what was in there, so many choices. my pens may not be laminated etc this month because i haven't got any bandsaw blades and i dont know when i'll be able to get one, and i cant cut up laminates by hand.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
8th November 2006, 03:53 PM
oh mine has arrived right now...NIIIiiiiicccccccccceee wood. Gorgeous wood
thank you
Toni

Touchwood
8th November 2006, 10:03 PM
I got an express post bag today.

WOW:eek: :eek::D :eek: :D what a selection ... dashed up to the shed to get out my 'encyclopedia' of wood - the bag of different woods I purchased off Rowie, all labelled, and proceeded to play Spot the Wood! Don't think I'll ever be able to use any of the 'cyclopedia as I'll never have that much selection!!

There was one unidentified one - English Elm I'm guessing.

Thanks so much for your generousity .. I'll also confess to ironing and reading the newspaper - was a bonus treat, 1923, got a few giggles out of it too.

JD

Stuart
8th November 2006, 10:03 PM
Strewth - I still have to find time to finish the October pen, and 4 more blanks turn up :)

Think I need to get a new gouge....... :D

rowie
9th November 2006, 12:24 AM
WOW:eek: :eek::D :eek: :D what a selection ... dashed up to the shed to get out my 'encyclopedia' of wood - the bag of different woods I purchased off Rowie, all labelled, and proceeded to play Spot the Wood!

There was one unidentified one - English Elm I'm guessing.

Thanks so much for your generousity .. I'll also confess to ironing and reading the newspaper - was a bonus treat, 1923, got a few giggles out of it too.

JD
thanx Jen:) Glad you liked the newspaper:D You don't get ads like that anymore:p
the Elm is slightly darker than the Iroko,furrier and tougher with a more prominant differerentation between summer/winter growth and has that checkerboard grain on the q'sawn surface rather than that whitebait type ray that the iroko produces.Once you turn them you will Know the difference;)
Toni, as far as themes go, I thought ''SUNSET'', but let the wood tell you what to do with it ;) .

lubbing5cherubs
9th November 2006, 12:50 AM
must be the weather hubby sat down and read ours too. Hubby wishes our newspaper had the same interest. Front page story new shop opening not some one being killed or murdered. We enjoyed that very much
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th November 2006, 12:54 AM
I only got the Unemployment and Legal Notices. Buggrit.

Some things are just the same now as they were then... the rich growing richer and the poor getting poorer. [sigh]

lubbing5cherubs
9th November 2006, 01:09 AM
perhaps there a job that pays you for working. :D rather than owing you.
Toni :D

Terry B
9th November 2006, 02:11 PM
Mine have arrived. Thank you. Not sure what is what. Great paper.

Thank you very much:p

fxst
9th November 2006, 05:30 PM
if I sent the wood back could you rewrap it and send it back?
oh well more work I too haven't finished Oct. I did send a hold off msg but it didnt manage to fight its way thru the ether ...who knows 1 day in a galaxy far far away.........
Pete

Touchwood
9th November 2006, 08:42 PM
I'll also confess to ironing and reading the newspaper - was a bonus treat, 1923, got a few giggles out of it too.

particularly enjoyed
:D the ad looking for 20 acres of land 10 mins from Melbourne!!! Dreeammin'
:eek: young lad wanted as office lad; girl wanted; women wanted .... wouldn't get away withit now (except in the personals!!)

the Elm is slightly darker than the Iroko,furrier and tougher with a more prominant differerentation between summer/winter growth and has that checkerboard grain on the q'sawn surface
yessss, got it right!

Thanks
JD

soundman
9th November 2006, 09:59 PM
My little package arrived today:D :D :D

But what is what:confused:

there's a brown blank with lots of stripes looks like some sort of shee oak or something.
theres a yellowy goldy one with a grain like tassy oak.
theres a lightish browny one that smells musty... sandalwood?
&
theres a glossy light brown one that has prominent pores and is almost iredesant.
and a redish slip of something.

cheers

Touchwood
9th November 2006, 10:18 PM
Bearing in mind I'm 'just a shelia' and going just on your descriptions, I think they are:

there's a brown blank with lots of stripes looks like some sort of shee oak or something. Bulloak
theres a yellowy goldy one with a grain like tassy oak.PNG Rose wood
theres a lightish browny one that smells musty... sandalwood?Vic Blackwood
&
theres a glossy light brown one that has prominent pores and is almost iredesant. Red Cedar
and a redish slip of something.Paduak

I'm happy to be corrected, don't want to be the bearer of false info

JD

rowie
10th November 2006, 12:13 AM
My little package arrived today:D :D :D

But what is what:confused:

there's a brown blank with lots of stripes looks like some sort of shee oak or something.
theres a yellowy goldy one with a grain like tassy oak.
theres a lightish browny one that smells musty... sandalwood?
&
theres a glossy light brown one that has prominent pores and is almost iredesant.
and a redish slip of something.

cheersI thought you would have refered to your sample selection I sent you last week;) , the options I posted, and the choices you made:confused: :D I'm guessing, Bulloak, Iroko, PNG Rosewood(smells like custard powder:D ), English Elm, and yes, a sliver of African Paduak (Pterocarpus soyauxii)just for you DJ;) Which is related to the PNG Rosewood(Pterocarpus indicus )
Sorry if you are all a bit confused,:eek: but working out what it is is half the fun:D

soundman
10th November 2006, 10:26 AM
Cheers rowie.... I'll have a closer look and smell.:D :D

cheers

Fireman sam
10th November 2006, 05:27 PM
My pen timber arrived today looks great lots to choose from have to get the thinking cap on to come up with something different:confused: :)
thanks
Andrew:) :)

rowie
22nd November 2006, 11:37 PM
How's everyone going with their pens?

DJ’s Timber
22nd November 2006, 11:48 PM
Haven't started mine yet, but I moved the blanks to the shed today so I can start tomorrow ;) .

PenTurner
23rd November 2006, 07:23 AM
Could someone please explain what and how pen swap works and what needs doing to join in, thanks Amos

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd November 2006, 02:51 PM
To explain it simply:

You join the swap. Someone will send you two pen blanks. This month Rowie is in the chair, next month it is... errrm... sorry. I forget. :o Probably too late to join this month, though. They may nominate a theme for turning the pen, they may not.

You turn two pens for the end of the month; one you keep, one is for charity.

The downside? You use your own kits and, if possible, are responsible for supplying and mailing out the blanks for a future month.

It's worth it. ;)

dai sensei
23rd November 2006, 04:38 PM
How's everyone going with their pens?

Haven't started yet:o . Pulled the blanks out half a dozen times trying to think of a way forward, but each time think "too many options", nothing stands out yet. I want to do your blanks justice with the theme, but my artistic juices just aren't working.

Hey Skew or any of our other artistic members, any ideas/hints?

ss_11000
23rd November 2006, 07:26 PM
i haven't started yet either:( i have got no way to cut them up accurately ( i haven't got new bs blades yet ). i dont want to just cut away with a hand saw and have it go wrong so i am gonna wait. it shouldn't be to long before i go to newcastle again.

Skewpid
23rd November 2006, 07:47 PM
Rowie ... you've sent too much wood!:eek: .. and therefore I cant make a decision on what to make from it! :confused: . .. too many options.:eek:

Also .. did you send the same to everyone? .. what do I have??????? .. I simply cant just go and cut up an unkown timber!:mad: .. What will I write on the lil' card that accompanies the finished product.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd November 2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Skew or any of our other artistic members, any ideas/hints?

I'm in the same boat... too many options are open to choose and I haven't started yet either. . Somewhere I posted pix of a couple of trial runs to see what's feasible, methinks I'll be going with a combination of the two types, mainly because having done similar once I know how the next lot'll look. :)

lubbing5cherubs
23rd November 2006, 10:30 PM
Neil you are one of the artistic people here your work is in the top of the list. I got an idea but I will share what I plan on doing it might work it might not. My plans is
to make the slither and starting from dark to light for the layers of the sunlight. I am going to layer the colours and then I am going to cut the hill by 2 hill with a valley and then I am going to place a yellow sun in the valley for my sun. That my plan it might work or not.
There my food for thought anyway.
Now to do it. I am bit late this week:eek:
bye Toni

soundman
23rd November 2006, 11:18 PM
Mine are all done, but I havn't shot them yet.

My best effort is my "jumbo americana"

which is made on a pen 1 kit with 2 replacement long tubes and no band.
I turned the lower section straight curved taper just a fraction smaller the the pen trimmer OD and the upper section a couple of mm larger than the trimmer OD and leaving an overhanging skirt. Upper section cigar shape with two burn lines at the bottom. ball clip in gold.english elm.

Its HUGE:eek: and quite heavy but quite nice to hold and write with.

will post pics soon
cheers

soundman
23rd November 2006, 11:21 PM
Oh BTW I'm the december donour.

There is already a december thread. if you want in or out post there and I will harvest the details near the end of the month.

cheers

Touchwood
23rd November 2006, 11:56 PM
Haven't started yet - but have plans a bit similar to your's Toni - keep looking at the sun set as I feed the horses each night to get inspiration. Must admit the thought of chopping into the fantastic wood sent requires thought and planning.

However, need to wait a few more days before unpacking 'The Jet' :D:D

Also now finished a few of the catering jobs (150 for lunch today!), so have a bit of time.

JD

Touchwood
24th November 2006, 12:04 AM
Just been looking at some of Curtis' resin pens on his thread - bags sending everyone some oat heads to make pens out of... he has certainly got som fantastic ideas for pen material...

JD

dai sensei
24th November 2006, 02:52 PM
Neil you are one of the artistic people here ... Toni

Nah, I'm a copycat, just pinch other peoples ideas:rolleyes:

I was also thinking layers, just not sure there is enough difference in the colours of the timbers. I like your hill idea. I was also thinking sea & clouds, but was hoping someone else would show me how.:D With resin it's easy, but with real timber laminates I struggle.:o

lubbing5cherubs
24th November 2006, 04:15 PM
neil you are being ambitious with your ocean and clouds I look forward to seeing taht. Take photo with ocean as background...hey what about a pen with a sunset background would that do Rowie???:p :D

dai sensei
24th November 2006, 06:32 PM
neil you are being ambitious with your ocean and clouds I look forward to seeing that.

Stained blue on bottom, white on top - then ask people to use their imagination :o :D :D Like I said, need someone to show me how :rolleyes:

soundman
26th November 2006, 12:30 AM
Here's mine.
left to right.

The iroko.. pen 1 with long lower tube...not overly pleased with this one.
The PNG rosewood pen 9...
What I am calling my jumbo americana.. pen1 with long top and bottom tubes and no band... this pen is huge... but feels good in the hand.
the bulloak pen 9 in the ruffly profile... I did this one as a proto for Wendy's weird custom.. Its fat & chunky... definitly suits some people but not others.

cheers

soundman
26th November 2006, 12:34 AM
supose I'd better upload a picture

lubbing5cherubs
26th November 2006, 01:17 AM
Good job mate You have been busy.
My favourite is number 2 though
bye Toni

M0nty
26th November 2006, 09:09 AM
I'm still to do mine from Nov ..... Can someone please help identify what's what ??

[nb: i posted 2 photos, cos the 2nd from the top looks different depending on what side you look at it ... red from one side, yellowish from the other]

NewLondon88
26th November 2006, 09:41 AM
supose I'd better upload a picture

Damn.. once I saw your picture, I realized that I had just taken a few pictures myself before I left the workshop. And I thought "Gee, I wonder if they'd like to see a picture taken by a brand-newbie"

So I rushed downstairs to stop the washing machine, pulled out the sawdust-filled shirt, went through the pockets ..and sure enough; there was the 2GB memory card for my camera.

I wonder how long they take to dry out?

BTW, Hi from the US. I've been reading and looking over pens, checking out hints and generally learning what I can. Today I learned to check the pockets!

lubbing5cherubs
26th November 2006, 09:43 AM
oh no mate terrible way to learn to check pockets. I hope it dries out and continues to like taking piccys. I'd put her in the sun.
bye Toni

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2006, 10:10 AM
I'm still to do mine from Nov ..... Can someone please help identify what's what ??

[nb: i posted 2 photos, cos the 2nd from the top looks different depending on what side you look at it ... red from one side, yellowish from the other]

G'day Monty

From top you have Red Cedar, PNG Rosewood, Iroko and the sliver is African Paduak

rowie
29th November 2006, 12:06 AM
I was also thinking layers, just not sure there is enough difference in the colours of the timbers.Yeah, I thought about that too:( I like your hill idea. I was also thinking sea & clouds,are u crazy

Sorry Monty, I forgot to write on them:o

G'day Monty

From top you have Red Cedar, PNG Rosewood, Iroko and the sliver is African Paduakcorrect:) , correct;) , correct:D , and yes, correct:cool:

rowie
29th November 2006, 12:37 AM
I got an idea but I will share what I plan on doing it might work it might not. My plans is
to make the slither and starting from dark to light for the layers of the sunlight. I am going to layer the colours and then I am going to cut the hill by 2 hill with a valley and then I am going to place a yellow sun in the valley for my sun. That my plan it might work or not.
There my food for thought anyway.
Now to do it. I am bit late this week:eek:
bye ToniYou lost me at I got an idea:o

Thanks Jen, I was thinking "sunset", but what I really wanted was for you all to express yourselves with whatever the wood tells you to do with it.Don't try too hard, just have fun;)

Rowie ... you've sent too much wood!:eek: .. and therefore I cant make a decision on what to make from it! :confused: . .. too many options.:eek: Sorry mate. I don't expect u to use all of it. Keep a couple for Ron

Also .. did you send the same to everyone? .. what do I have??????? Eveyone got something different, a mixture of the options. If u post a photo like Monty;) We'll help u out.
Hi Jen

Terry B
29th November 2006, 10:04 AM
I have only just started last night. Too much choice also and conflicting time commitments. Not sure what wood is what. I think I will photograph the blanks whilst they are still relatively square and ask for help re ID. i am trying to produce a sort of sunset with a sloping laminate and an inlayed circle. Nothing like experimentation.:D

Terry B
29th November 2006, 07:43 PM
As I said above I have now photographed my blanks for ID purposes. 2 are glued up and ready to turn.
The second photo is just a gloat. My shed has 2 ends to it. This is the non woodwork end showing where I took the photos of the blanks. A nice environment to work in.:)

DJ’s Timber
29th November 2006, 08:48 PM
G'day Terry

From left to right it looks like you have

Little sliver of African Paduak

Iroko

Bulloak

English Elm

PNG Rosewood

soundman
29th November 2006, 11:41 PM
Look out folks.........:eek: :eek: :eek: December goodies on the way:D :D

cheers

Terry B
30th November 2006, 10:26 AM
G'day Terry

From left to right it looks like you have

Little sliver of African Paduak

Iroko

Bulloak

English Elm

PNG Rosewood
Thank you although I don't think the end one is PNG rosewood. I have plenty of it and the grain is different.

rowie
30th November 2006, 08:47 PM
Thank you although I don't think the end one is PNG rosewood. I have plenty of it and the grain is different.
Does it smell like custard powder:confused: If so it's png rosewood, otherwise, it could only be cedar:o Dj got the rest right;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2006, 12:07 PM
Well.. late is better than belated, I guess. :rolleyes:

Here are mine... and I'll freely admit I cheated and used different timbers. Our helpful blank donor kindly sent me a second set of blanks after I lost the first glue-ups. ( I know those mongrels are still hiding somewhere in my shed, quietly laughing at me!) But, while searching for the miscreants I put the "new" blanks safely to one side... and found several other blanks I'd totally forgotten about, so added them to the pile. With no luck in my search, I moved the pile of "found" blanks onto my blank storage shelf. So, I found some spare time, went to make the pens and... which ones? Oops. :o I hate my life at the moment.

Anyways, while searching thru the blanks, I had a couple of new ideas for the theme so I simply grabbed the "most suitable" blanks for my ideas and went with the flow. [shrug]

The LH one (Hairy Oak, Mulberry, Red Mallee Burl, Osage Orange, Red-heart Peppercorn, Spalted Peppercorn, Tas Myrtle) didn't come out as I'd planned. It's a failure, theme-wise.

I'm pretty happy with the RH one though. :) (Red Mallee Burl & Osage Orange)

ss_11000
22nd December 2006, 12:56 PM
they look awesome skew. :cool:

Simomatra
22nd December 2006, 05:26 PM
Very inspirational Skew

One day I hope to be able to do the same

tashammer
22nd December 2006, 09:21 PM
well, they say, they do, that we don't have to like everything, don't they?

Yuck!

Merry Christmas too.

he said.

dai sensei
22nd December 2006, 09:34 PM
...happy with the RH one though

Yes that's my preference, like the shapes, but I do like the colour mix of timbers on the other. Well done Skew.

So where are all the other late Nov Pens eh? :confused:

Hmm that reminds me, the Dec pens are due soon :o