PDA

View Full Version : pen turning secrets...

Kev Y.
11th December 2002, 03:42 PM
I am in th emiddle of turning some pens for a friend for christmas presents, and am starting to experience failures resulting in the wood comming away from the brass tube on the final cut.

I suspect that the cause is no glue bonding the wood to the brass.

I have tried using 2 pack apoxy glue, and CA (super glue). Also I have tried applying the glue to the tube and also directly into the hole in the timber blank.

Can someone plese shed some light on i) which method of glue application is better and the correct way of application, ii) which type of glue is more suitable for the job.

Thanks

Kev

Tim the Timber Turner
11th December 2002, 04:07 PM
Kev Hi!

I sand my brass tubes on the mandrel with 60 grit. This helps with the glue bond.

Also I have found Weldbond to be the best glue. Plenty of open time and cheap.

Try cutting a 10mm slice of apple and push the tube into it so you end up with the apple skin level with the end of the tube.
This will stop the glue going up the inside of the tube when inserting.

Place a big lump of Weldbond into the end of the blank and push it through with a close fitting dowel or rod.A twisting action helps. Wipe off the excess. The hole in the blank is now fully coated with glue.

Slap another lump of Weldbond onto the apple end of the brass tube and insert it again with a twisting action. Again wipe off the excess and recycle on the next one.

Be sloppy and use plenty of glue. Of course you can't afford to do this with super glue.

Leave overnight to dry.

Cheers Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

Sir Chiz
12th December 2002, 04:39 AM
Hi Kev,I'm not familiar with Weldbond,but a polyurethane (foaming) type glue will help.
It also must dry overnight.
Here in the States,we have "Gorilla Glue" and another made by "Titebond",are brand names.
I've also heard of people using CA,as a finish for pens,it also helps to harden softer woods (timbers).
Ummm,don't use a foaming poly glue on Jarrah Burl,it makes an awful mess. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Igitfully Yours, http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sir Chiz.

------------------
I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning,
It Smells Like....Victory!

sunshine
12th December 2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Tim. Very helpful explanation.

Now..... what happens to the rest of the apple?? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

And Merry Christmas to you.

Cheers, Phyllis

Tim the Timber Turner
12th December 2002, 01:06 PM
Phillis Hi!

Now now don't tempt me. I may not be able to resist your STIRRING.

Sir Chiz Hi!

Weld bond is made in Toronto so you are closer to the source than we are.

Both of you have a great Christmas.

Cheers Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

Sir Chiz
12th December 2002, 04:22 PM
Hey Tim,just curious,what happens if you turn
Both ways?? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Happy Holiday!

Sir Chizalot.
Kody-Bob;K-9 Esquire.

------------------
I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning,
It Smells Like....Victory!

Roly
12th December 2002, 07:59 PM
I sand the brass tube to roughen the surface and then mix up some 5 minute araldite. I push both ends of the tube into a raw potato which blocks the glue coming in and the smear the iside of the wood blank using a small stick or so. Push the tube in and then sand level on the ends. Tried apple but found it too soft. Havn't had a failure yet.

Roly

sunshine
13th December 2002, 08:02 AM
Okay, Tim...... BE that way!

Merry Christmas anyway... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Phyllis

Tim the Timber Turner
13th December 2002, 08:34 AM
OK Phillis!

I'll give in to your stirring and will bite.

Im keeping the rest of the apple in the fridge and should you ever visit this part of the world I will see if you can be tempted with it.

Sir Chiz!

Some days I'm that confused that I do try and turn both ways at the same time. You want to see the mess that makes. Not a pretty sight I can tell you.

Now will you Yanks please stop your Bloddy Stirring and leave me alone in my state of confused peace and quiet. And no that's not alcohol related either.

Cheers Tim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tim the Timber Turner (edited 13 December 2002).]

Cass
3rd January 2003, 09:21 AM
I have had a similar problem with the tubes coming away from the pen blank on the mandrel, however it has gone one set further. I now have a brass tube stuck below the thread on the mandrel. I am about to cut it off and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to remove the brass tube without destroying it.

Kev Y.
3rd January 2003, 08:46 PM
Cass, From experience I can tell you that to remove a tube without damaging it is just about IMPOSSABLE!!!!

Sorry about that.

OH yeah, I tried weldbond, and was impressed with the outcome, I think I will make it my glue of choice for pens from now on.

Kev