PDA

View Full Version : Never say die!!!!!

TTIT
24th October 2006, 03:07 PM
Yep :eek: - it's back - and actually finished. After it attacked me (here) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=38878) I got all obstropolous about being chased from the shed by a lump of wood and went to work with the Q-bond and CA. (And I couldn't bear to ditch it with that beautiful burl-like figure in the bottom :o ) Built a couple of synthetic 'bridges' (arrowed in 3rd pic) where there was no wood originally and where bits were missing from the fight. Very nearly got caught again while finish sanding the inside - it was as persistant as a terrier - fought right to the last.
Was going to call it 'Predator' because it's tasted blood but 'Prey' might be more fitting because the grub holes look like teeth marks and the 'shadow line' I turned into it leaves the paler bottom in shadow like a bird or mammal with a white belly (theoretically, this makes them less visible to predators with monochromatic vision.)
In hindsight, I'm glad I decided to finish it - been a memorable journey!:D

Wadjathink?

"My name is Poppy and these are my pictures!"

RufflyRustic
24th October 2006, 04:00 PM
I think it's a great result, TTIT :) A recalcitrant piece of timber tamed and ended up becoming a lovely bowl.

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2006, 04:01 PM
It's not dead yet. :D

Good to see you beat it. ;)

ss_11000
24th October 2006, 04:03 PM
good thing you continued, it turned out to be another brilliant peice.

lubbing5cherubs
24th October 2006, 04:05 PM
Nice!! worth the effort
Toni

clubbyr8
24th October 2006, 04:59 PM
Great save. Glad to see you persevered :D :D :D

Bob

Joash
24th October 2006, 05:06 PM
Nice work, worth the effort, What finish did you use? Can't see you using shellawax on that:D

Did the same thing yesterday, A bowl with corners got 2 of my fingers, too bad they wern't on my writing fingers--no school:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th October 2006, 06:09 PM
See what can happen if you ignore the Binit Brigade?

It may not be the prettiest piece in the world but it's definitely got attitude. http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbupwink.gif

rsser
24th October 2006, 07:17 PM
Your home made Longworth chuck in the first pic?

dai sensei
24th October 2006, 07:25 PM
Braver man then me. Well done:D :cool: You certainly have a tale or two to tell on that one. Hope you have a nice display area for your work to show it off.

Tornatus
24th October 2006, 11:58 PM
Good one, TTIT!

Judging by that effort, you should get obstropulous (or better still, obstreperous!) more often - can't have these cranky bits of wood getting the better of us now, can we? With due respect to the old Skewch, what's "pretty" got to do with a piece like this? It's all about demonstrating man's dominance over wood - after all, it's about all we men are allowed to dominate, these days ..... ;)

TTIT
25th October 2006, 12:35 AM
Your home made Longworth chuck in the first pic? Yep. The smaller, most used one of two Ern. Don't know how anyone can work without them.:)

Hope you have a nice display area for your work to show it off.Still gotta get round to building that "one day"!!!:o;)

Thanks everyone for your comments! Much appreciated.:D

hughie
25th October 2006, 01:17 AM
Vern,

Glad you made it to the end in one piece. Had a few recently like that myself. I like your treatment at the bottom with the raised lip?I think I will pinch it down the track some time.

As Skew says '' a bowl with attitude'' :D good one!

Wild Dingo
25th October 2006, 02:36 AM
titman well done mate!! :cool: persistance against attitude wins again! or is that persistance AND attitude beats just attitude any day? Either way looks brillaint! :cool:

Now whats this chuck? mmmm?? :confused: ;)

OGYT
25th October 2006, 12:33 PM
Yep. The smaller, most used one of two Ern. Don't know how anyone can work without them.:)

I like the attitude of that bowl! :cool: Sharp looking, won't tip, beggin' to be put on display somewhere! :D Congratulations for hangin' in, and not lettin' it get the best of ya. ;)

What's the material of the Longworth?:confused: Looks like what we in the upover call Plexiglass. I've been wantin' to make one for a long time, but never took the time to get to it. Cole jaws leave a lot of desire hangin' 'round. :( Some bowls you can't fit on 'em, even though the diameter falls within the requirements... :mad: First time that happened, I wanted to throw 'em in the dumpster.:eek:

Did you do a tute on that chuck?:confused:

TTIT
25th October 2006, 06:02 PM
What's the material of the Longworth?:confused: Looks like what we in the upover call Plexiglass. I've been wantin' to make one for a long time, but never took the time to get to it. Cole jaws leave a lot of desire hangin' 'round. :( Some bowls you can't fit on 'em, even though the diameter falls within the requirements... :mad: First time that happened, I wanted to throw 'em in the dumpster.:eek:

Did you do a tute on that chuck?:confused:I didn't but maybe I should - seems to be a bit of interest in them. There is a lot of info on the net about them but I made a few mod's which I think are worthwhile. I'll pull it apart and take some pics for ya Al. (As soon as I find a minute! :rolleyes: )

rsser
25th October 2006, 06:14 PM
Just as a btw, I've had some good results turning a piece with lots of voids by wrapping duct tape around the outside while doing the hollowing.

And I hope you can post some drawings of your Longworth mods Vern. Would be v. interested.