PDA

View Full Version : Oval box (comments please)

Joash
24th October 2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, I thought I would just put a thread on a box I made yesterday. I am making 3 of them today.

The knob is Jarrah, lid is Camphor-laurel, and the main body is Queensland maple.

Sanded to 1000g, and topped off with shellawax cream.

Dimensions: 200x160mm

There is no way I can upload photos on this forum, so for now, go

here (http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/?sc=1&addtype=local)

Sorry about the bodgy photos, I'll set up the studio tommorow, and get some better ones.

What are your thoughts? As I said, I am making 3 tommorow, can anyone reccomend a better shape, or a little hint, that would make them better? If so, please post.

I'm still Joash, and I'm still a woodturner,

Regards.......Joash:)

PS, I am quite chuffed, because I just opend my email, and yesterday I got a check, since I had sold a large sheoak platter in one of the galleries.

lubbing5cherubs
24th October 2006, 04:32 PM
Joash how come you changed your name again?? I am confused. I must of missed something here. Joash link not working either
Toni

Joash
24th October 2006, 04:33 PM
There we go, all sorted.

I am Joash, because that is what the Admin wanted. I am only a woodturner on here now, not a................etc:

Mr Unknown
24th October 2006, 04:37 PM
to post the picture you just have to copy and past the Img one.
like this:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA230006Medium.jpg

lubbing5cherubs
24th October 2006, 06:24 PM
Joash is it me or does that lid have to much colour for the base. Kind of throughs you off the nice work you done. I do like the knob though and the shape. Like a lid that was all one colour rather than half coloured maybe..a solid colour?? I don't know if that what I would of chose for a lid. Mate please take this in way I mean it. I am not having a go at you. you asked for feedback.
Toni

Slow6
24th October 2006, 06:53 PM
I think I agree with toni, the 3 timbers dont really gel.

the shape is fine.. maybe lose the camphor and make the knob a touch more delicate?

rsser
24th October 2006, 07:12 PM
+1

And how are the wall thicknesses ... even?

Joash
24th October 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments. I think the wood does go together,---it looks much different in real life. Wall thickness is 3mm, and it is of even thickness. I think the knob needs more detail, I made the lid a little too tight. It takes a while to finally pull off, it's a great suction cap,

Thanks,

Joash

rsser
25th October 2006, 05:23 PM
Sounds good Joash.

Turn lids tight; let the ensemble settle for a month or two and then relieve one of the faces if it's still too tight.