PDA

View Full Version : My first Guitar

Noodles
25th October 2006, 12:06 PM
hey, here is the first guitar that i have made. The body is a solid lump of Silky Oak, the neck is Queensland Maple and an Ebony fretboard. I made this guitar this year for my HSC major project in Industrial Technology - Timber. Please comment.

rockola
25th October 2006, 12:17 PM
Nice work Noodles. Very elegant and classic. Good call for not using a pickguard. What finish did you use?

Noodles
25th October 2006, 12:32 PM
The Finish is about 10 coats of a clear acrylic spray, i used the acrylic because i didn't have enough time to do a nitrocellulose finish because i had a time limit because of the hsc.

myguitar
25th October 2006, 12:53 PM
The timber is stunning. It suits the electric style. Looks so much better than painted finishes.

Congrats!:)

Slavo
25th October 2006, 02:16 PM
Nice work Noodles, How heavy is it compared to other electrics.
more importantly, how does it sound

thetassiebfg
25th October 2006, 02:34 PM
Very nicely done - hope that you do with with it on your HSC

And as Slavo has asked - hows it sound

Noodles
25th October 2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your comments.
It is abit heavier that my strat copy but is still alot lighter than i thought it would have been.
The sound - it has a bright tone and good sustain (well at least compared to the few other guitars that i have played). The neck pickup is a jazz one and the bridge is a JB (no idea what that stands for). Overall i like the sound it is what i wanted while making the guitar (as you can probably tell i have no idea how to explain what it sounds like).

HiString
25th October 2006, 04:05 PM
Nice looking guitar........well done!

The guitar's lightish weight will be contributing to the bright tone.

As for the pickups, it seems as though you have fitted what is considered as an almost standard Seymour Duncan combination for this style of guitar.......what you say is a "jazz" could easily be a "59" at the neck with the "JB" (Jeff Beck) at the bridge. It is a combination that for normal use is hard to beat.

:cool:

Jackspira
25th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Looks great noodles! Wish my first one was as good!
Jack

gratay
26th October 2006, 09:16 AM
well done noodles....you gotta be proud of that....
I'd imagine you would have passed your major project assignment with flying colours
have fun with it

ptc
26th October 2006, 09:39 AM
Well done.
What's next. ?

kiwigeo
26th October 2006, 10:10 AM
Nice looking axe there Noodles.

TassieKiwi
26th October 2006, 01:27 PM
Sweeeeeeeeet. Be proud.

reeves
26th October 2006, 03:31 PM
jeeez good job buddy, looks real nice. What does it sound like ?

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 04:26 PM
very very nice. great choice of timbers too.

cheers

meansy_wood
3rd December 2006, 06:02 PM
*claps* very very nice job. tell us how u go with it

dayvo
3rd December 2006, 09:28 PM
That is one sweet looking guitar:cool:
Love the Silky Oak

Flowboy
4th December 2006, 04:52 AM
Hi Noodles,

Most excellent guitar and from the sounds of it (sic), it plays well too. What will you be using for amplification, something nice like a Peavey or Marshall, I hope.

Regards

Rob

contrebasse
4th December 2006, 03:59 PM
That's a great looking guitar. As you can tell, I love silky oak too.
Strange to work with - did you feel the almost soapy silkiness of the wood when finishing? I can't tell from the pics, but hope the finish you have used really brings out the depth of the flame in the wood. I'm still experimenting, trying to find the best solution.

matthew

Noodles
19th December 2006, 09:36 AM
hello again, i just got my marks back from the board of studies for the course that i made this guitar in and i got 90 which im stoked about. the annoying thing is that they dont give me a seperate mark for practical and theory so i dont know the exact mark for it.

About a month ago i started making a differeint body for my old guitar (a cheap strat copy) out of an old blackwood benchtop but im stuck at the moment because i dont have a bandsaw, but hopefully i will soon or at least have access to one.

Also soon im going to start making a through body 5 string bass for my brother but he still hasent decided on some things like the type of wood.

but anyway thanks everyone for all the nice comments that youve sent me.

Noodles

kiwigeo
19th December 2006, 01:26 PM
90...great score Noodles.

old_picker
19th December 2006, 08:38 PM
About a month ago i started making a differeint body for my old guitar (a cheap strat copy) out of an old blackwood benchtop but im stuck at the moment because i dont have a bandsaw, but hopefully i will soon or at least have access to one.

Dont let that stop you, use a jigsaw....:D:D

contrebasse
19th December 2006, 11:14 PM
or - dare I say it - a coping saw?

kiwigeo
20th December 2006, 05:35 AM
or - dare I say it - a coping saw?

A %%$$$$y great big coping saw. I guess in your workshop all the handtools are Bass size. :D

Reppy
22nd January 2007, 10:00 AM
That looks sweeeet. :2tsup:

fred.n
22nd January 2007, 06:42 PM
Nice job and well done on the score.
Any pics of the new work in progress?

drozzy
24th January 2007, 09:40 PM
Very cool mate, i'm in the process of starting a bass designf or my hsc.

Howd the marking go? Was this for Design and Technology?

Looks fantastic :)