PDA

View Full Version : Shedmade Hollowing Rig is Modified

OGYT
25th October 2006, 12:15 PM
Put that Hollowing Rig to work this afternoon, and had to stop in the middle of a hollowform to modify it. :mad: The restraining bars, at 21 inches were too short. I couldn't swing the tool holder far enough either way, to get some curved tool bars inside the opening, or to dig out the inside of a wider form.:(
I made the new bars 40 inches (101.6 cm) long, which gives me a total of
37.5 inches (95.25 cm) of swing.;) It works. :D
Just thought I'd post this modification, in case any of you Blokes used my measurements to make you one of 'em.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the update.

Just as a matter of curiosity, with the rig mounted on your ways what's the longest blank you can mount with clearance?

TTIT
25th October 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Al - have made mental note! ;)

hughie
26th October 2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks Al,
Never occurred to me when I first saw it.The Oneway kinda got in the way :D Hmmm could it easily be curved instead of straight?If so it would let you get a little closer and make the handling simpler....maybe, whatya reckon?

OGYT
26th October 2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Al,
Hmmm could it easily be curved instead of straight?If so it would let you get a little closer and make the handling simpler....maybe, whatya reckon?
Hughie, a bloke was talkin' about that on another forum, and one engineer type said that the curved bars would be easier for the tool holder to pry apart. I said that you could put a center brace under the lower rail and a cantilevered bridge above the upper rail. :eek: Lotta work for a maybe.
Then another man posted that his rig has 18" rails, and is mounted sos it pivots in an arc around the opening of the piece. That way you can have short rails, and still have freedom of tool movement. That makes sense.
Well, after searching, I located some pics
Just offhand, I'd think you could rig up a mounting block to the ways, sorta like your toolrest, and have it connect to the end of a flat piece of steel about a foot long and as wide as the bed; and then have the hollowing rig attached to the other end of it. You'd have a 12" radius, and that would let you have a pretty good swing around the opening of the HF. What think ye?:confused:
About the length of form... I'll have to check, and get back to you, but I think I'd only be limited to the length of the boring bars, unless I extended the tool holding tube a little.
Additional pics are on another post. This is a neat little rig. I think I would use metal instead of wood for the swivel mechanism.
They're all fairly self explanitory... I think...
Pic 5 is the laser mount.

OGYT
27th October 2006, 03:55 AM
This rig has a laser getup on it, and it looks pretty stable.:D

hughie
27th October 2006, 11:47 AM
Hughie, a bloke was talkin' about that on another forum, and one engineer type said that the curved bars would be easier for the tool holder to pry apart. I said that you could put a center brace under the lower rail and a cantilevered bridge above the upper rail. :eek: Lotta work for a maybe.

Al, After I thought about it I came up with the same thought. But if the rails are strong enough ie steam tube or 1'' sq tube 1/8 wall thickness etc it would be ok. Depending on how long the rails are of course.

Then another man posted that his rig has 18" rails, and is mounted sos it pivots in an arc around the opening of the piece. That way you can have short rails, and still have freedom of tool movement. That makes sense.
Well, after searching, I located some pics

Not a bad idea, this would keep the rails short and therefore minimise the deflection from the unsupported curve and would not have to be built like a tank :D :D hernia country

Just offhand, I'd think you could rig up a mounting block to the ways, sorta like your toolrest, and have it connect to the end of a flat piece of steel about a foot long and as wide as the bed; and then have the hollowing rig attached to the other end of it. You'd have a 12" radius, and that would let you have a pretty good swing around the opening of the HF. What think ye?:confused:

Yep that'l work, might need to fiddle around with dimensions a bit to get the optimum...mods on the run....:D so to speak

Tell you what your getting real busy thats a respectable amount of shavings you've got there.....;)

OGYT
27th October 2006, 11:56 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity, with the rig mounted on your ways what's the longest blank you can mount with clearance?
Mounted it up, and took a measurement. I have a Spindle Adapter so it extends my Spindle about 2.75 inches... and with that, I think I can still get a 45cm piece on there and still use the hollower. :D I think. :confused: Maybe.:eek:

DJ’s Timber
27th October 2006, 12:40 PM
Hughie, a bloke was talkin' about that on another forum, and one engineer type said that the curved bars would be easier for the tool holder to pry apart.

Al, After I thought about it I came up with the same thought. But if the rails are strong enough ie steam tube or 1'' sq tube 1/8 wall thickness etc it would be ok. Depending on how long the rails are of course.

I think you would have to worry more about the end of the curved bars flexing where the bolts go thru rather than the actual bars flexing themselves. By having curved bars you are creating a levering action rather than flexing

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2006, 12:45 AM
Mounted it up, and took a measurement. I have a Spindle Adapter so it extends my Spindle about 2.75 inches... and with that, I think I can still get a 45cm piece on there and still use the hollower. :D I think. :confused: Maybe.:eek:

45cm? That's about 18"... and a respectable depth! ;eek: I'd be ecstatic with half that; I start running into trouble at around a mere 15cm (6")! :o:(

hughie
28th October 2006, 01:09 AM
I think you would have to worry more about the end of the curved bars flexing where the bolts go thru rather than the actual bars flexing themselves. By having curved bars you are creating a levering action rather than flexing

DJ,
What I had in mind was all welded construction and fixing the frame in the centre to the bed. Which could be made to rotate to give a bit more flexibility and perhaps a bit of a curve on it as well. The rotational point would also have height adjustment built into it, much the same way as a tool rest adjustment

But I agree it would be a bit a of a worry with bolt flex the other way