PDA

View Full Version : Now what????????

DavidG
10th April 2003, 08:50 PM
Help. I am grounded from my VL300 and have been since Feb.

After 20 yrs of driving a computer kbd I have carpel tunnel in both wrists. (programmer)

Got the left one cut today, will get the right one cut in 6 to 8 weeks time.

Looks like I will be grounded, and off work, until mid July.
I have looked at a lot of the entries under the post "Help I am going nuts"
I have read all the entries in the Darwin awards including the slush and reject lists.
I am sick of Bored.com.
I am working through Urban myths
I have read just about every entry on this BB.
I have re-read every book I have.

Now what. I still have 12+ weeks to go and only one hand to use.
Any Ideas. Wife wont let me go tool browsing..............

:confused:

John Saxton
10th April 2003, 11:33 PM
Hi Dave,commisserations on your plight,but you still have the right hand available for Scrolling thru all the plans/tools/CAD operations.
I would'nt have thought bored came into it.
Then there are all the books/videos that may be available from your library (if handy) that you can bone up on in your convalescence.
I was in a similar situation to you last year after a foot operation kept me house-bound for some months...however it did'nt stop me from staying in touch with what I love to do when able to.

The time off gave me a chance to catch up with catalogueing of gear/plans/books/videos etc for insurance and personal means a task long overdue.
Heaven forbid 'Er Indoors was only to happy to let me loose if only to get out from under her feet ....there's a moral in there moreover when the Visa's required.
Just some thoughts...I had a mate of mine couple of years ago had both his wrists done at the same time much to his wife's dismay and against his doctors advice...she spent a lot of her time looking after and attending all his needs in all facets of home life ...not pleasant I can tell you...pushed their relationship to the edge.
Cheers:)

DavidG
11th April 2003, 01:31 AM
Doorstop
a. Yep I still have one hand but have not learnt how to hold a bowl gouge in the right hand and teeth, yet.

b. She bought me the VL300. I will keep what I have thanks.

c. I am lousy at painting anything smaller than a wall.

John
Yes there are probably lots of things I could do but I am not supposed to use the kbd and being right handed, will not be able to use the mouse after the next cut job.
Thought about getting both done at the same time but felt there could be a problem with the little room.

It is hard trying to type with one hand when you are used to using two.

Eastie
11th April 2003, 04:04 PM
You mentioned work. Unless you are a sole trader or self employed your company has obligations towards keeping you active and metally fit. Look at the WorkSafe websites (i.e. www.worksafe.vic.gov.au) at areas of workers - specifically at return to work info. //just because you can't use both hands does not mean that you have to stay at home. If not then the obligation is on you and it seems your on a good line with trying to keep active and avoid boredom.

I've seen others in similar circumstances take on new training/education courses (not all training/eduction requires computers and pages of note taking).

If all else fails you still have one hand to entertain yourself with :cool:

quandong
11th April 2003, 07:06 PM
I know it's not for everyone but have you tried meditating ?
Sit in a quiet place, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Thats all. Good luck with your plight.

DavidG
11th April 2003, 07:06 PM
Eastie
I am a contractor so I do not have an employer.

I don't have a contract at this point in time and I don't think I would get one with one hand.

Too close to retirement to start learning a new skill.
Think I will do some relaxing, (fishing etc) until I get both hands back in shape.
Only need one hand to cast a line in and to the hold the "bait"
;)

DavidG
6th May 2003, 11:11 PM
It has been 4 weeks now. The hand has healed nicely.

I know the doc said not to but I fired up the lathe and finished a few bowls. Oh it feels good.

By the way, I would not have believed the difference in my hand. The left hand makes the right feel like it is in a glove.

I can feel fine detail with the left hand but everything feels dull to the right hand. (Like out of focus).

Few more weeks and I will have the right hand cut. That will put paid to the mischief.

John Saxton
7th May 2003, 08:27 PM
Good luck with the convalescence and coping with the limitations.
Cheers:)

Iain
9th May 2003, 07:54 AM
You could try fishing in Victoria with the one good hand, the plus side is there will be no stress as you know you won't catch anything:p

DavidG
28th May 2003, 10:17 PM
Here we go again. Tomorrow (Thur 29/may/03) I am going in to hospital to have the right wrist cut.

Looks like I will really be grounded with this one, being right handed. Probably wont even be able to use the computer as I have great difficulty using the mouse in the left hand.
At least we are now down to only 6 weeks left to me being fully fit again.

Sir Stinkalot
28th May 2003, 10:20 PM
Good luck ... I hope it goes well.

Stinky

DavidG
29th May 2003, 08:29 PM
Here I am. Alive and well after the operation.
Right hand out of action.
Hard to use mouse with left hand but do get the clicks in the correct places some of the time.

Got to watch them do it this time. Local only.
Interesting to watch them cut the way in and to then use a small pair of bent snips to cut through the tendon and gristle.
Did not feel a thing, but the local has not worn off yet.
On the final path to recovery now. not long to go.

John Saxton
2nd June 2003, 09:11 PM
Dave, Know a guy who lost his arm above the elbow in a railcar accident when he was only eighteen...motorbike slipped out from under him when he was racing the train to the crossing with the ensuing loss of his upper arm....bloody amazing what that fella does with one arm these days some 40 yrs down the track.

Should see him use a hammer and nail..wake a lot of us up...those of us with two arms that is!

Cheers:) hope your convalescence is short and that you're back arm wrestlin' the tools soon.

DavidG
5th July 2003, 10:21 PM
Back on deck.
Both hands are fine now.

Back turning wood and contemplating my future.

Thanks to all who listened to me whinging.