PDA

View Full Version : Spit and Polish on a WC 2000

jmk89
26th October 2006, 09:40 AM
I was wondering what people do to clean and polish the table surface of their triton workcentres (or saw or router table).

I clean using oven cleaner or acetone and then put UBeaut Trad Wax on, but is there a better way to make and keep it slipery (esp. if you use a cross-cut sled)?

Cheers

Jeremy

Carry Pine
26th October 2006, 06:41 PM
Will wait for the Orange-Caped Crusader to make a Papal decision on that one. He must be in the workshop not to have replied already.

Gumby
26th October 2006, 06:56 PM
Be very caredul what you use. I took the measurement marks off the sliding arm when cleaning mine. I can't remember if it was metho or turps.

Other than that, I just used some spray-on kitchen bench cleaner like Mr Muscle and never found it necessary to wax the top at all.

Stuart
26th October 2006, 07:12 PM
?Clean? ?Polish? :eek:

Bit of ubeaut wax at best - don't care about stains, marks etc- mines got wood stain rings, scratches etc. So long as it keeps cutting like new, I don't care what it looks like.

Auld Bassoon
26th October 2006, 07:33 PM
C'mon guys, have you never heard of SilverGlide (available in local woodie stores). It's terrific for both protecting and lubricating tool surfaces for the likes of tablesaws, bandsaw tables, jointers, etc.

It costs about $15 for a can of the paste (from memory), but lasts for ages. No silicone, no collection/build-up of dust, and the wood just, well, glides...

If you want a small and cheap method for removing small stains from a machine's table, grab a table eraser from Felder. Brilliant!

jmk89
26th October 2006, 11:19 PM
It costs about $15 for a can of the paste (from memory), ....

Steve

I'd get that memory checked. Carbatec's current price for Silverglide is $29. ;)
I know people use Silverglide on cast tables and speak highly of it for that purpose, but I wondered whether it worked on the pressed metal and paint of a Triton and whether the Triton merited it anyway (esp when you have Trad wax already in the shed!!)

Cheers

Jeremy

Foxtail
30th October 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Jeremy,
I live in Cairns Queensland and up here we have a lot of trouble keeping our tools free from RUST. I have had two MK III tops destroyed by rust so I am very careful with all my TRITON painted surfaces now. I use a good quality car wax after every use and spray the slides with silicone spray whenever I feel them getting sticky. Wood will soak up silicone sprays and polishes so be careful. Keep the felt pads on the slides clean as they will scratch the paint when they are contaminated.

Good Luck

Dave

Stuart
30th October 2006, 11:13 AM
Mentioning wood and silicone in the same sentence on this site will bring the wrath of the gods down on you very quickly! It is a huge no-no. Do a search and you will see why. Car polish also contains the dreaded silicone.

CountryStyle
9th November 2006, 11:09 PM
Good info peoples. I use "Sellies Ezy Glide", not cheap, however for what I manufacture it has been O.K. in the past. Have also used a "Teflon spray" (cannot remember name at the moment).
Original post said "clean and polish the table surface", however I am assuming perhaps meaning "running smoother"?
Good Woodworking all.