PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Table Height

watson
26th October 2006, 08:56 PM
I'm in the throes of restoring a very old bandsaw, and have added ball bearing guides/guards/doors, and I've just finished the table. Whilst making an attachment to fit to the original table mount I realised that the table will be a bit low to work comfortably (850mm from the top of the table to the floor).
Could any of the new bandsaw purchasers tell me what height their tables are from the deck. I've sussed out most of the advertised dimensions, but they rarely give table working height.

Regards,
Noel

LuckyDuck
27th October 2006, 12:23 AM
Felder machines, including their bandsaws, have a working height of 890mm. Personally, I find this just a tad too low, but then again I'm taller than many (189cm). If it is resawing, I stand. If it is anything else, I usually get stool and sit... Regards Luckyduck

watson
27th October 2006, 09:20 AM
G'day Lucky duck,
Thanks for that, it gives me a start point. Even though I'm not that tall, that table height would eventually give me a "hump".
Stool sounds good, as I'd never be able to lift this old cast frame to put a plinth under it.
Regards,
Noel

Rookie
27th October 2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Noel

I have a Hare and Forbes BP-300, and the table height on that is 1070mm. All their saws at the WWW show as I remember, had table heights around that mark.

I haven't tried resawing anything of size yet, and it could be a little high (shoulder hunching) but it's very comfortable for smaller work, turning blanks etc.

.........and some WIP pictures of the restoration if you could. I love old machinery.

watson
27th October 2006, 05:22 PM
G'day John,
1070mm sounds a good height, but I'll have to think of a raising method (like a crane). It took four blokes and a "foreman" to get it wangled into the shed.
That's why I thought the stool option was an easy way out.
I'll post some photos as soon as I can.
Regards,
Noel

Rookie
28th October 2006, 04:49 PM
Or you could just dig a pit next to it and stand in it :D :D :D

watson
28th October 2006, 05:25 PM
G'day John,
Love lateral thinking!
It is on a dirt floor too!
Regards,