PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Jig Lite

tonysa
28th October 2006, 01:07 AM
Just to let you guys know I'm now the proud owner of an Incra Ultra Jig Lite - thanks Grahame, very speedy delivery.

Some serious shed time this weekend to install and have a play, kewl.
Looking forward to attempting to create some electron driven box joints and dovies.

Hopefully not too many questions, the instructions and the template guide look very self explanatory. Proof will be, as they say, in the pudding.

May the Force be with you !

Cheers

TonySA

Gumby
28th October 2006, 10:09 AM
I got one from Grahame a while back and my initial playing around suggests it's a great gizmo.

Looking forward to some pics of the double-double box joints Tony. ;)

tonysa
28th October 2006, 11:58 AM
Hiya Gumby

Fortunately I also got the Master Ref Guide and Tempate Library so I should be able to rustle one up for you this afternoon, now where's the DDBOX1 #1 and DDBOX1 #2 templates .... yeah right.

But seriously, the possibilities are amazing. Just a little practice. Pleased to hear you're finding it good to use - thanks for the feedback. Any sample pics ? Was toying up with the Gifkins but went for the Incra. Good thing the Buy and Sell Gifkins didn't come a couple of days earlier or I would have been very tempted.

Cheers
TonySA

Dangermouse
28th October 2006, 12:26 PM
Good buy Tony, can't wait to see what you do with it.
Might be a bit of an incentive for me to get a few boxes done as well - I've made some promises for Christmas and it's coming up *way* too fast!

Gumby
28th October 2006, 01:11 PM
here ya go tony, my initial box joint attempt pic is attached. Sorry it's a bit out of focus.

I actually put the gifkins up for sale after I had a play with this jig - i can't justify having both. But then I got flamed by the community in here :D and was told to hang on to it. At the moment, I'm still not sure but the Incra's main purpose for me was as a really good, adjustable router table fence. the box things were a bit secondary.

I got the template kit and have had some discussion about doing the double box joints in another thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=39619&highlight=dbl

DPB
28th October 2006, 03:50 PM
here ya go tony, my initial box joint attempt pic is attached. Sorry it's a bit out of focus.

Yeh, don't you just love the "out-of-focus" excuse?:D:D:D

gazaly
28th October 2006, 10:03 PM
Nice one Don :D

tonysa
29th October 2006, 12:25 AM
thanks for feedback and pics. would have a bit ($) tied up in the two jigs. not cheap are they. Your box on the hardwood sale thread looked ok too DM, even with the couple of features.

Hey Gumby, its all about FEATURES not focus eh ?

Had a real bad day in the shed today. purchased a new 3/8th router bit and new 12" square. got home and i was given a 10mm, and the square was 2mm off GRRRRR. Its all going back next Sat. I'll make sure next time I leave the store. Since when is 3/8th" 10mm, that 0.5 mm diff. I reckon that'd make a huge difference in box and dovie joints. Told 'em i just got an incra jig and wanted experiment with box joints too. The square was $30 marked down from $50 still I reckon the damn thing should be square.

Found triton router table top not going to be any good for incra, have to make a new top. got some 30mm kitchen worktop that i might be able to use. just gotta find means of attaching triton router. will have to do a google. what do you guys use ? phenolic plate/ ali plate etc.

Sorry Gumby, can't do the double double just yet !

keep you posted

cheers
TonySA

Gumby
29th October 2006, 10:27 AM
I ditched the triton and got the engineered top and phenolic plate from Grahame. It's shown on the Gifkins box video I did.

Don't forget, Grahame also has sets of Whiteside bits which are made to suit the Incra jig. You can also get an Incra compatible set of CMT bits from Carba-tec.

underused
29th October 2006, 02:04 PM
I highly recommend the whiteside bits for the incra jigs;)
I use the woodpeckers plunge router lift with my makita 3612c. works well, but not too smooth. The plate is very flat, solid..thats the most important thing for me.
I made a top from laminated MDF. Been using this set up for a while now. still accurate.

Stuart
29th October 2006, 03:48 PM
Let's get that Incra group Grahame was talking about up and running - can be a combo of real and virtual (for the out-of-staters)

Auld Bassoon
29th October 2006, 05:51 PM

I understand that Canon have recently introduced a special version for woodies - it includes an automatic "duff joint" analyser and adjusts the focus to disguise the "feature" :D :D

I've been using it myself quite a bit lately :rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
29th October 2006, 05:58 PM
Let's get that Incra group Grahame was talking about up and running - can be a combo of real and virtual (for the out-of-staters)
I second that Stuart. I reckon it could be a real boon.

On the router table tops, the engineered top from Grahame is excellent (but the table extension to accommodate the Incra LS that I made from some laminated MDF with a Masonite top is near its equal :D).

For bits, Whiteside, Infinity or CMT are good. When you need imperial, go U.S. makers IMHO. Also, while good cutters are more exy to start with, they tend to cut better (smoother and less tear-out) and hold their edge for much longer. Personally, I've had it with el-cheapo cutters; they're mainly crap.

gazaly
29th October 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm in for sure :)

scooter
29th October 2006, 10:21 PM
You blokes are way off with the photo critique, it's called a "glamour portrait" :D

tonysa
30th October 2006, 09:29 PM
well incra router table is off to a start

assembled and mounted the fence on some 19mm ply per the instructions

cut the kitchen top down to a recommended 32"x24"
ripped some 19mm pinus crapiata down to 34mm as edging, that melamine is sharp stuff.

ordered some 5mm 5830 (or something like that - the high tensile stuff) ali plate 300mm x 250mm (shouldn't mix dimensions I know) which I'll pick up this week. $27.50 - worth a try at that price ? Just hope I can machine it and the kitchen top accurately.

anyway FWIW here's a couple of photos (got beaut new camera for birthday and can adjust to get 64kb photos without having to convert - kewl) including the thicknesser on recently fabricated cabinet (don't look too closely LOL).

the triton top just isn't designed for incra, pity.

more pics as time progresses, hopefully the melamine will work, its a textured surface but the fence seems to slide over ok

Had a word with the shop, 3/8" straight bit ordered (CMT) will exchange when its in, and the (not so) square.

cheers

tonySA

gazaly
30th October 2006, 09:35 PM
Looking good Tony :)

As a side, I like the pieces of poly pipe for the different paper grades - very effective and greenie worthy :)

You could call them Poly Pipe Paper Packers :p

tonysa
30th October 2006, 10:08 PM
kewl, thanks Gazaly

Poly Pipe Paper Packers - has a nice round sound to it

Primarily used for pens on the lathe, saves hunting for the next grit.
Tear the paper to size and stuff them in ready.

Could be used for ROS papers, all sorts

Stuart
30th October 2006, 10:12 PM
Hadn't noticed them - great concept!

underused
31st October 2006, 12:07 AM
Looking good so far mate!
Are you gunna rout out a slot for a miter gauge?
I put one in mine,and have found it useful at times. Good when routing the ends of stiles, for panel doors
Cheers,
Gary.

tonysa
31st October 2006, 09:32 PM
good idea underused, thanks
not sure how I'm going rout the melamine without chipping it but I have some offcuts to practice on :)

in addition to the ali plate, I'm getting some 5mm acrylic 300x250mm to try if the ali turns out to be a PITA. Was going polycarbonate but apparently that can sag so they suggested acrylic.

cheers
TonySA

Gwhat
2nd November 2006, 09:11 AM
good idea underused, thanks
not sure how I'm going rout the melamine without chipping it but I have some offcuts to practice on :)

in addition to the ali plate, I'm getting some 5mm acrylic 300x250mm to try if the ali turns out to be a PITA. Was going polycarbonate but apparently that can sag so they suggested acrylic.

cheers
TonySA

Tony

Routing for the Mitre Track is easy provided you 'sneak-up' on the final cut, our track (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category7_1.htm) needs a 29mm x 13mm groove.

Polycarbonate & Acylic are both Thermo-plastics and can be remelted with heat, hence will sag under the weight of a router, in a shed on a hot day(s).

Phenolic is a Thermo-setting plastic that can't be re-melted and is quite rigid under hot conditions. We of course sell Phenolic plates (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category19_1.htm) but most decent plastics outlets sell phenolic sheet. Drilling phenolic an be challenging as it is very 'grabby' and needs to be well clamped when drilling in a drill press.

I hope that this helps?

Regards

The Woodworker