PDA

View Full Version : You gotta check out this 13 yr old turner

Joash
28th October 2006, 08:36 PM
Hi, tossing and turning wether to put this in the websites, or here. Here it is, and if the mods move it.......?

Anyway, here we have it, This turner is amazing. 13 years old!! We have been contacting through emails, he speaks english, but his whole website is in French:rolleyes: But if you go to this (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) site, you can just translate it from french to english. Type this in the "Translate a Web page"

http://www.toupies.fr/

He does amazing stuff.

Hope you enjoy,

Joash:)

namtrak
28th October 2006, 08:47 PM
You reckon this one has a crazy uncle?

Joash
28th October 2006, 08:48 PM
half get it, you did check it out did'nt you?

namtrak
28th October 2006, 08:56 PM
It wrong that someone so young does work which looks so cool

ozwinner
28th October 2006, 09:37 PM
It wrong that someone so young does work which looks so cool

Maybe his unce did the work?

Al :rolleyes:

echnidna
28th October 2006, 09:45 PM
can he lay bricks??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2006, 10:32 PM
Dunno 'bout his uncle, or whether he can make like a chook on acid and lay bricks... but there's something suss about his page. I've tried his site twice and both times immediately copped a "HTTP_GET //" :eek:

Up front like that it's basically naught but a beginner's level hack. Although I doubt it's deliberate (surely no-one'd be stupid enough to use something that blatant in a webpage? :confused: ) I won't be going there again.

Joash
28th October 2006, 10:51 PM
so can you see anything on the page? It should have something. Try it again, to see if it is still there?

echnidna
28th October 2006, 10:56 PM
.... whether he can make like a chook on acid and lay bricks...

Al lays bricks,

or so he sez,

Does that mean Al's like a chook on acid ?? :p :p :p :p

Doughboy
28th October 2006, 11:08 PM
It says ... roughly

Welcome to the site of Eric Bozier, passionate about turning bowls

My name is Eric Bozier and I am happy to talk about my big passion, turning bowls, and paticularly tops... my piece of preference.

I would love to have a career from turning it would be great. Then something about details being on the forum..

That is it. I am far from being expert but methinks someone is pulling your leg about their age. IMHO of course.

Pete

Joash
28th October 2006, 11:11 PM
Ok, look at his links on the side, go through, it has photos of him. I contacted him today, he sent me his picture, we talked about woodtiurning.

I entirly believe him.

Also La trucia on this forum knows him. It was though him that I found his link.

Joash

Doughboy
28th October 2006, 11:20 PM
Ok folks and I am happy to admit if I am wrong but in my experience this kind of intricate work takes years of practice and skill. Perhaps a 13 year old could manage something like this but I doubt it. :confused:

The items are all exquisite, perhaps too much so.

Sorry Joash this is not an attack on you but the internet is easily utilized by those who wish to decieve others.:confused:

Pete

Joash
28th October 2006, 11:46 PM
still not convinced, all because he is really good. I've had numerous people not believe my age and ability in woodturning.

Speanwoody
28th October 2006, 11:55 PM
looks good to me, well done him

hughie
29th October 2006, 01:17 AM
Dunno 'bout his uncle, or whether he can make like a chook on acid and lay bricks... but there's something suss about his page. I've tried his site twice and both times immediately copped a "HTTP_GET //" :eek:

Hmmm, I agree with Skew, turning is good, but...............

He's also using an old style of HTML, frames which no one uses, well not many these
days.

Well one thing is for sure, hes better at taking pics than me :D

makka619
29th October 2006, 01:35 AM
What on earth are they (pics on his site)? Look like wooden bells.... and funny dishes. They look good but I have no idea what they are.

Terry B
29th October 2006, 02:42 PM

Up front like that it's basically naught but a beginner's level hack. Although I doubt it's deliberate (surely no-one'd be stupid enough to use something that blatant in a webpage? :confused: ) I won't be going there again.
Skew,
I have tried it in IE, Mozilla and opera with no problem. I run lots of spy checkers and it doesn't pick up any problems. The code does redirect to
http://www.eric-tournage.populus.ch/
I do agree that I think that the level of competence is a bit suspect. You would need lots of money, time and good equipment to achieve the results. Maybe from someone that does nothing else or has lots of help. If it is really all his work then good luck to him. I would liken it to someone doing 8th grade piano at age 13. Can be done but not in 1 or 2 years.

tashammer
29th October 2006, 04:56 PM
interesting. Seems to like Aussie wood. Some of the shapes look like severely modified crankshafts.

ss_11000
29th October 2006, 05:17 PM
i rekon that it possible a 13 yr old could do that. he may have been turning since he was like 6 or 7 and has just got the hang of it.

they do look amazing tho

Joash
29th October 2006, 05:18 PM
younger=more quicker:p

ss_11000
29th October 2006, 05:25 PM
more quicker means probaly not done as well :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th October 2006, 05:39 PM
Al lays bricks,

or so he sez,

Does that mean Al's like a chook on acid ?? :p :p :p :p

It would explain a lot of the mad cackling... and the foil... :D

Skew,
I have tried it in IE, Mozilla and opera with no problem. I run lots of spy checkers and it doesn't pick up any problems. The code does redirect to
http://www.eric-tournage.populus.ch/

It doesn't cause any problems with viewing the page, what it does do is attempt to grab a dir list of my/your home directory. Although in doing so it also supplies enough info on his system for me to exploit it, if I was that way minded. :D

I do agree that I think that the level of competence is a bit suspect. You would need lots of money, time and good equipment to achieve the results. Maybe from someone that does nothing else or has lots of help. If it is really all his work then good luck to him. I would liken it to someone doing 8th grade piano at age 13. Can be done but not in 1 or 2 years.

I believe it's quite possible for a young fella to do that level of work.

It's not difficult; once you master the technique it's quite simple. Just rarely done 'cos most people don't experiment much with off-centre turning so it's hard to really judge level of difficulty. (The "I've never done that so it must be hard" mentality. ;)) I suspect that he's either using PolyU or a Danish dip from the gloss of the finish, not exactly rocket science there either.

If he's dinkum, good on 'im! They're very effective pieces. But I would like to see more of other types of work from him.

QbnDusty
29th October 2006, 06:22 PM
Well could be. How old was Mozart when he wrote his first masterpiece.
However, that was a mental thing all in the mind. To produce work like that requires not only an extrordinary ability to design and make such pieces but the money to buy the tools to do it. Could be but am doubtful.

Joash
29th October 2006, 06:27 PM
Ok, I give up, you don't think so? Fine.

I still do

Joash