PDA

View Full Version : removing laminex

Gino
11th April 2003, 09:27 PM
Got a work friend who just purchased a new cook top but it is a little to short for the existing hole in the laminex top.
Changing it over is not an option so he asked me about removing the laminex and filling in the excess.
I have never removed Laminex before and have no idea how hard it is to do so.
So I ask the following questions,

Can it be done?

If so what is the best way to do it.?

Almost forgot to mention he can not laminate on top of the exsisting laminex as it has a wooden edge on it so you would end up seeing the edge of the laminex above the level of the wood.

your help as always is apprieceated

Gino

q9
11th April 2003, 11:31 PM
From the short amount of time I have worked for cabinet makers, they usually use the yellow, "good" contact cement.

It is "good" because that is how it sticks. I don't envy the task in front of you.

Can you build a dummy riser or some such instead? Might be a lot easier.

quandong
12th April 2003, 07:53 PM
The glues used in laminex construction are pretty toxic, so unless you can seal off the area where the benchtop is and have a good respirator sanding isn't the safest option. A hammer and chisel used to pear the two surfaces apart isn't the fastest way but probably one of the safer. Having said that though wach out for your hands and eyes as chips and flakes are axtremely sharp. Then wipe down surface as Doorstop suggests. Good luck :)

Pete
14th April 2003, 10:17 PM
I think the glue used to stick laminex to the bench is a thermoplastic polymer, that means it will soften with heat. Try a very hot iron on the surface of the laminex and see if the glue softens (Might need to use an old towel or something to stop the bottom of the iron from being damaged). If so, you may be able to remove the laminex in small sections this way.

HTH
Peter

Gino
15th April 2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks Guy's for all your feed back. I'll pass this onto my work mate.
Doorstop what you suggested is very good advice, only thing is that because he has a wooden edge if we glued the new laminex on top of the old the edge would be visible above the level of the wood.

And What is a "dummy riser"???

once again I appreciate all your suggestions.

Gino

soundman
15th April 2003, 11:31 PM
the first thing you will want to do is remove the timber edge because it (or ots replacement will need to go back on after the laminate is trimmed.
That in its self may solve the problem, just lay over the top as discussed, trim & put the edging back.

If you doo want to remove the laminate, heat is your friend.

A heat gun, a hot spot light (1500 QI), fishtale burner or an iron if you are particularly persistant.

quite a lot of heating is required so it penetrates but not verrry hot If you get the drift.

start at the edge & work arround.

Do not assume that this will be a pleasant or easy job. and the lamonate will come off in pieces.
Not particularly healthy job either.

I have been arround when this has been done on relatively new work as a stuff up saver. older material will be much harder.
It is not a prety sight but it can be done.

q9
16th April 2003, 12:30 AM
By dummy riser, basically I mean a piece of material that can cover the existing hole, while allowing you to cut a hole the right size for the fitting. It is cheating but might be easier, and with a bit of thought to material selection and finish, can be made to look ok.