PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound Speakers

martink
30th October 2006, 10:34 PM
Been hunting around for info on building speakers and whilst I have all the electrical stuff pretty much down (was a Electronic engineer in the distant past) I'm looking for info on constructing the boxes themselves and the types of speakers required. I've seen a heap of book on the net but have no idea if they cover building surround sound speakers, let along if they are 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1

Has anyone found that must have book that covers the area of surround sound speaker construction. Ideally I'd love a recipie kind of book - but at worst I can dust off the old calculator and do up the volumes based on magic formulas that balance this kind of speaker arrangement.

Ta,

M.

GraemeCook
31st October 2006, 10:33 AM
Martin

One of the best references is Lance Dickasons "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" available from Jaycar (about $70). Also his recipe book which is a book of plans.

The former discusses both theory and practice and has a chapter on surround sound.

On another threads I have posted a series of web references that give both the physics and the design needed to diy.

With surround it is important that you have a subwoofer as that channel - the 0.1 component in the 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 format - does include information (noise, sound effects, music) that may not be included on the other channels. Its not about lots of bass.

Cheers

Graeme

soundman
31st October 2006, 06:17 PM
The physics of designing surround speakers is no different to designing any other.
What is different is the "visual expectations" that have been placed on domestic surround and the physical restrictions following thru from "other decisions" relating to placement of the speakers.

Most surround speakers (unless you are " prepared to pay the price" whatever that is) will be smaller than once expected of hi fi speakers just so they can look good and be where you want them without causing major disruptions to your decor.

As far as dealing with speaker equasions... I gave that away years ago..... get a coppy of one of the many good computer bassed speaker design programes.
You can manipulate the design over and over and account for more variables than you could hope to using paper and a calculator.

cheers

greenie512
31st October 2006, 06:56 PM
Go and hang around in the HT Forum - http://www.htguide.com/forum/ check out some of the other links on http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/bookmark1.html.

If you like the technical challange by all means design your own speaker. if you want good/quick results find a popular/tried and trusted design off one of the links above that suites your requirement and built that.

martink
31st October 2006, 10:01 PM
Martin

One of the best references is Lance Dickasons "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" available from Jaycar (about $70). Also his recipe book which is a book of plans.

The former discusses both theory and practice and has a chapter on surround sound.

On another threads I have posted a series of web references that give both the physics and the design needed to diy.

With surround it is important that you have a subwoofer as that channel - the 0.1 component in the 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 format - does include information (noise, sound effects, music) that may not be included on the other channels. Its not about lots of bass.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Is this the book you mean (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=BA1400&CATID=26&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=417http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=BA1400&CATID=26&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=417)??
It's listed at 20 bucks so am a little confused :( I never did know that the bass speaker unit was so important! Wow what has changed since I've been to school - damn must be gettin old or something.

Martin

GraemeCook
1st November 2006, 04:04 PM
Martin

I had a look at your Jaycar reference and its the Fifth edition. I bought the Sixth edition about three years ago (released 2000) and I have seen adds for the Seventh edition. Looks like they are discounting really old stock!

The physics of speaker design was really delineated about twenty years ago by Thiele and Small. Before TS it was largely rules of thumb and trial and error. Science is not yet perfect but TS provided a quantum leap.

What I said about bass only applies to the o.1 channel of surround. In stereo a subwoofer is only required if the two speakers are deficient in the bass range - ie speakers too small or cheap.

Its really worth going around a few top end audio shops and listenning. The difference between good and ordinary speakers is profound.

Cheers

Graeme

PS: Vance Dickason also has a website at www.ldcdiy.com (http://www.ldcdiy.com)

martink
2nd November 2006, 10:29 PM
Thaks for the heads up, was about to the wrong edition. Have had a good google around as well, and it looks like the best thing to make the speakers from is MDF with the old dried PVA Iron veneer trick. Think this is the go from what I have seen so far. I'll grab the book, have a bit of a think then it's sound heaven for me come January (When I've finished the entertainment unit)

Ciao,

M.