PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the boundaries

powderpost
1st November 2006, 12:04 PM
A number of years ago, our club had an American guest turner who demonstrated his technique for making a similar piece. Now I ask you, is it permissable that we take second place? This one is made from the fork of a red stringy bark, or red mahogany or what ever else it may be known as. Doesn't matter too much, it was bloody hard, and an interesting project 240mm high. Oh and yes, it is one piece of timber :) .
Jim

Gil Jones
1st November 2006, 12:09 PM
Jim, that vase is marvelous!!
Very well done!!!!

baxter
1st November 2006, 12:09 PM
Jim, beautiful work.

All turned or did you cut some out before putting on the lathe? Description of you technique would be appreciated.

However you did it, it is a beautiful piece that would take pride of place anywhere.

powderpost
1st November 2006, 12:19 PM
Baxter, the outside was turned first and a series of 8# wire rings were taped to the outside with duct tape. The inside was then turned in the normal way. The wire rings and tape stopped the "wings" from flexing outwards and causing havoc. Only when it was finished, did I realise I had actually bitten a hole in my jocks :) .
Jim

Christopha
1st November 2006, 12:25 PM
A nice piece, very well done but it will never hold enough water to keep the roses from wilting!

cedar n silky
1st November 2006, 12:32 PM
Amazing turning Jim. Youd'e want to be carefull though i imagine. I don't even want to visualise what would be the end result if you got caught in between the fork as the lathe was turning a 1-2000 RPM!:eek:

lubbing5cherubs
1st November 2006, 12:33 PM
Mate that is gorgeous. Once again your work was phenominal
Toni

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2006, 12:42 PM
Sensational

OGYT
1st November 2006, 01:04 PM
Fantastic! Gorgeous! Genuinely Unique. Exceptional job keepin' the bark. :D:cool:
Might try this, m'self, if it weren't for having to sand it.
Wire rings on the outside were a wise addition to the safety.;)
Sorry about the jocks, tho'.:D

Cliff Rogers
1st November 2006, 01:08 PM
Clever stuff but how did you reverse chuck it to clean up the bottom? ;)

nine fingers
1st November 2006, 01:33 PM
powderpost (Jim), Have you still got all your fingers after sanding that magnificent piece.
well done Nine Fingers.

ss_11000
1st November 2006, 03:30 PM
brilliant.:cool:

dai sensei
1st November 2006, 06:32 PM
Amazing result. Even with rings, I am surprised it held together. Well done.

BernieP
1st November 2006, 10:28 PM
G'Day Jim

Incredible

Bernie

TTIT
2nd November 2006, 09:07 AM
Not enough to show us all up with your segmented work and inlaid boxes but now this!!!:eek:;) You're a marvel Jim - beautiful piece of work :D
To finish the base? - let me guess - taped on to a waste piece turned to fit the inside??
As a lover of fine crotches, I'm now going to have to try one of these myself:eek:

Mr Unknown
2nd November 2006, 10:39 AM
nice work, its looks really good.

hughie
2nd November 2006, 11:56 PM
Jim,

No doubt about it your a challenge :( :D I was just getting over the segemented stuff and now this.
Very impressive piece of turning..........sigh, now I gotta go get a crotch and give it a go.

One thing for sure this turning business is only limited to our imagination.