PDA

View Full Version : New router table

pwill
1st November 2006, 09:02 PM
Thought someone may be interested in a few pics of an easy to build router table. Got the idea off some web site and adapted it to suite. Rest of the bits are 'all over the counter' stuff. Seems to do the job. Only thing not shown is a perspex front panel over the router box with about a half inch gap at the bottom to assist air turbulence. Not a dust particle left in site.

Doughboy
1st November 2006, 09:05 PM
Looking good there pwill. Nicely made and plenty of storage for the odds and sods.

Greenie on the way!!

Pete

jaspr
1st November 2006, 09:16 PM
...coool ... looks great and like it will work a treat!

tonysa
1st November 2006, 11:27 PM
very nice table pwill, storage drawers will be very handy too
dust extraction looks beaut

inferno6688
2nd November 2006, 08:23 AM
that looks beautifully built. Good work! :)

Bob38S
2nd November 2006, 12:37 PM
Nice 1
and welcome aboard.
Bob

BarryBurgess
2nd November 2006, 05:37 PM
Pwill how is the above table dust extraction working - it looks like this goes to the below the table and not directly to the extractor? You will need a cover with holes in it in the front where the router goes to increase the suction below the table
Barry

martink
2nd November 2006, 07:02 PM
Very Nice work, should give you years of pleasure!! Where did you get the fence from?

Ciao,

M.

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2006, 07:10 PM
Pwill how is the above table dust extraction working - it looks like this goes to the below the table and not directly to the extractor? You will need a cover with holes in it in the front where the router goes to increase the suction below the table
Barry

If you read the post he says he has a perspex cover that goes on the front

Al B
2nd November 2006, 07:10 PM
Great job with router table pwill, I have been thinking about updating mine.

pwill
2nd November 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Barry - there is a piece of perspex covering the router chamber. I left a half inch gap at the bottom, which, coupled with the 2 and a half inch suction tube from the fence provides a near even balance for maximum air flow from the 4 inch suction line.

dazzler
2nd November 2006, 08:16 PM
Top Job!
:D

duckman
2nd November 2006, 08:29 PM
Very nice work. :) I wouldn't want to use it because it'd be a shame to get it dirty.:p

BarryBurgess
3rd November 2006, 12:40 AM
Hi Barry - there is a piece of perspex covering the router chamber. I left a half inch gap at the bottom, which, coupled with the 2 and a half inch suction tube from the fence provides a near even balance for maximum air flow from the 4 inch suction line.
Sorry I just looked at the pictures. I to have built a "Norm" type table but ran a seperate extraction pipe to the fence rather than to the cupboard below the table. Your table got me thinking as I thought that you would not get enough suction at the fence. I use 4" hose to both the cupboard below the router and another 4" to the fence.
Thanks again
Barry

pwill
3rd November 2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Barry - I'm using a small one bag GMC (absolute copy of the Carbatec and others, except half the price) suck-a-matic 6 meters away from the table in 100mm pipe. Experementing, I cut a piece of 19mm MDF to completley cover the router box and the suction was so good I had no chance of getting the cover off without switching the sucker off!! Maybe I was just lucky that everything worked 100%, as I'm certainly no rocket scientist.

Sorry I just looked at the pictures. I to have built a "Norm" type table but ran a seperate extraction pipe to the fence rather than to the cupboard below the table. Your table got me thinking as I thought that you would not get enough suction at the fence. I use 4" hose to both the cupboard below the router and another 4" to the fence.
Thanks again
Barry

BarryBurgess
3rd November 2006, 08:07 PM
Pwill thanks for that - I got worried about the airflow to the router from comments on the Triton section so I drilled a number of 25mm holes in the perspex and left a gap abound the edge. I use a 3HP motor on my cyclone so it could have shattered the perspex.
Norm teed his feed to the fence off the 4" hose that's why I asked.
Barry

Big Shed
8th November 2006, 02:21 PM
That is a seriously good lokking bit of kit! Well done.

By coincidence I have a book home from the library, Building Woodshop Worksations by Danny Proulx, which has the almost identical router table in it. It also has heaps of other stuff such as drill press tables etc.

Do you mind me asking what brand of router table insert (couldn't read it in the photo) and where you got it from?

I have a feeling in my water that my Triton Router Table's days are numbered!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2006, 02:41 PM
Do you mind me asking what brand of router table insert (couldn't read it in the photo) and where you got it from?

G'day Big Shed

I think you will find thay the insert is actually a router lift unit which is sold at Professional Woodworking Supplies (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category13_1.htm). Make sure you are sitting down and don't have drink in your hand as they are not cheap:eek: .

bsrlee
9th November 2006, 02:30 AM
If the nice gold ones are too rich for you, you can always get a slightly different one form Lee Valley or Rockler, or indeed most of the US based woodworking suppliers. And, yes, I still like the gold one.

pwill
10th November 2006, 01:38 PM
Hi Big Shed,
DJS got it right - it's from Professional Woodworking Supplies in Melbourne. Had to mortgage the house and Mrs, but the investment is worth it. Seriously though, the money is well spent and I think the Unilift is the best available. Everything is nice about it, lookwise and performance. I have one of the 'extenders' fitted in the router collett and with a dial gauge couldn't see any run out. I know Dannys book and agree that it's well worth doing an Amazon on - he's certainly a very prolific writer isn't he? Makes you wonder where he finds the time to do any woodwork!!
Phill

That is a seriously good lokking bit of kit! Well done.

By coincidence I have a book home from the library, Building Woodshop Worksations by Danny Proulx, which has the almost identical router table in it. It also has heaps of other stuff such as drill press tables etc.

I have a feeling in my water that my Triton Router Table's days are numbered!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Kiwibrucee
12th November 2006, 11:17 AM
Thats a great looking router table pwill and very nicely finished off, most of my shed projects end up with a coat of shellac or wax if they are lucky!

Great work.

Bruce T.

walro
19th November 2006, 10:08 PM
Great job pwill !! Keep up the good work.

Hoppoz
16th January 2007, 04:20 PM
Pwill

What Router are you using with the lifter?

Did you make the top or is that the Engineered RTT?

What is the fence you have fitted and did you look at an Incra System?

Great Work

Hoppoz

Harry72
16th January 2007, 04:55 PM
Judging by what I can see in the picture its either a Hitachi TR12 or a M8