PDA

View Full Version : Water stain removal

Touchwood
2nd November 2006, 12:03 AM
I have cut up some Moreton Bay Fig and it is stained grey/black in places from being wet, mould growing and drying. I have tried to remove it, with bleach and had some success, but was wondering if anyone has the magic answer.

Will direct sunlight do any good? More bleach?

Any suggestions welcomed, as I was hoping to turn some for sale as a fund raiser.

Jenny

Joash
2nd November 2006, 12:20 AM
sure it would'nt just add to the feature? I usually find it does

Touchwood
2nd November 2006, 12:58 AM
Hey Joash, do I notice that you are now 15?? Is it Happy Birthday to you today?? If so, many happy returns!

JD:p

Joash
2nd November 2006, 01:01 AM
Yes, that is right:) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=39964)

OGYT
2nd November 2006, 11:58 AM
I have cut up some Moreton Bay Fig and it is stained grey/black in places from being wet, mould growing and drying. I have tried to remove it, with bleach and had some success, but was wondering if anyone has the magic answer.Jenny
Jenny, I sorta have to go with Joash on this one. That staining is called spalting. If the wood is left alone where it lays, it would keep spalting more until it rots. :eek: That spalting enhances the appearance of the finished piece. :D
Also, bleach, if left to dry by itself, has a detrimental effect on the spalting, by aiding the softening of the wood. :(
If the spalting is relatively soft, it can be bolstered by a wash of 25%Lacquer/75% Thinner, or a couple of hours soak in 50/50 solution of white glue and water. Don't use either of these, if you plan on staining the wood.
All that said, a bleach kit can be bought at lumber yards and home stores that has the bleach as Part A and the neutralizer as Part B, but I don't think it will completely remove the effects of spalting.

Touchwood
2nd November 2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the replys - and here I though it was just common old mould!

JD:o