PDA

View Full Version : Two Natural Edged Bowls

OGYT
3rd November 2006, 06:42 AM
These are the latest. :D
Pic one: Hornbeam 16.5cm dia X 12.7cm tall X 5mm thick. It was easy to turn this one. Bark is thin, stays on well. Just had to CA a couple of cracks that were there before I started.
Pic Two, three, four: Honey Locust. 36 cm X 29cm Oval. 14cm tall. I left it about 12mm thick to add a little heft to it. This was a bear to keep the bark on. Had to use two little bottles of CA on it. :eek: That was to make sure I didn't knock it off as it came around... I actually only had to stick one piece of it back on.
Honey Locust turns nice, but is a bear to sand. :mad: You can feel the grain when you rub your hand across it, due to the soft parts of the grain sanding out, leavin' the hardest parts a little proud.
Oh well.
Comments welcome.

keith53
3rd November 2006, 06:48 AM
Very nice Al. I like the contrast with the bark.

hughie
3rd November 2006, 09:30 AM
Oh well.
Comments welcome.

Al,
what a ripper! the oneway is paying for its self.Damn good looking bowls

DJ’s Timber
3rd November 2006, 09:55 AM
They look very nice Al, I like the first one the best

OGYT
3rd November 2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the comment,Hughie... I hope the Oneway will pay for itself... We have our first Craft show since I bought it, this Saturday. We'll find out.
Keith: Thanks for the comments.
DJ: So does my wife.

I posted the big one on another forum, and someone pointed out the heaviness in the bottom. I can see it in the profile shot, now, but I couldn't see it on the lathe. Should have taken a little more off the lower curve. What'dya think?

Speanwoody
3rd November 2006, 11:04 AM
lovely work, bet your well pleased with the out come, i think they look really good

TTIT
3rd November 2006, 11:21 AM
Good to see you're coming to grips with that metric stuff Al ;). Love the Honey Locust piece - very nice :). Both look great.

hughie
3rd November 2006, 11:46 AM
I posted the big one on another forum, and someone pointed out the heaviness in the bottom. I can see it in the profile shot, now, but I couldn't see it on the lathe. Should have taken a little more off the lower curve. What'dya think?
[/QUOTE]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps a foot to lift it a tad, other wise I would be happy to have it on my shelf.

SWHMBO is the final arbiter and no correspondance will be entered into. :D ............go with the flow ;) :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd November 2006, 05:32 PM
I love the Hornbeam piece, it has a very 'blokey' feel to it. :) Not the sort of thing the ladies would put on display with their lacework and Dresden porcelain dolls, but I'd be proud to have it on my desk.

The Honey Locust is a lovely looking wood and you've done a good job on it. I'm not sure that I like side profile, to my eyes the full curves give it a bit of "chunky" or "pregnant" appearance ("not that there's anything wrong with that!" he adds, hastily checking over his shoulder for signs of t'other half...) and I think that if the bawse had tapered in a bit more, it would give it a more delicate appearance that'd add to the ooh & ahh factor.

(Criticisms from a bloke who makes chunky, pregnant goblets! :eek: I can see what's wrong... I just can't seem to do anything about it, somewho! :rolleyes: )

Edit: Damn! Just read the rest of the posts and see that I'm lagging behind everyone else again. Nice to know I'm maintaining my averages. :rolleyes:

BernieP
3rd November 2006, 08:20 PM
G'Day Al

Very nice ! Thanks for sharing

Bernie

Joash
3rd November 2006, 08:34 PM
Great work,

felling a little bored, so I fixed up one photo:cool:

really nice;)

OGYT
4th November 2006, 05:43 AM
Skew: Edit: Damn! Just read the rest of the posts and see that I'm lagging behind everyone else again. Nice to know I'm maintaining my averages.:D
That's alright, Skew. Think nothing of it. Liked the way you phrased the other, anyway. :cool: :D

Joash, nice way you fixed up the pic. Made it a lot nicer... you can even see the bead on the foot!:D

All others: Thanks for the comments, and I am tryin' to figure out the metric measurements. (Thanks to Gil for the conversion program) :p