PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learnt

jugglingogre
3rd November 2006, 11:08 PM
Well my table saw taught me a lesson today.

Damn near took out an eye...a few mil closer and I may have been at casualty.

I was pushing some timber through when it found a nail that I had not seen buried in the wood.

The area around the nail exploded and bits of wood and metal went all over the place. Before I could react I was hit in the hands, the timber ripped out of my left, the push stick ripped out of my right and a number of hits to the face with flying bits of who knows what.

3 hit near my eyes.

hit the emergency kill as soon as I could and did an inspection of the saw.

Luckily no visible damage that I can see.

No damage to me either.

I put the eye protection on before I restarted her again I did.....

Lesson Learnt.

Cheers

Pete

spokeshave
4th November 2006, 07:04 AM
Scary stuff.

Good to hear your o.k.

Plenty of ugly OH&S pictures at work to remind me to always think safe and always wear eye protection. Luckily for me i'm a permanent 4 eyed operator so glasses is one thing i dont need reminding to wear.

Still, things like this are definitely a wake up call (so is my uncles missing finger thanks to his router).:o

Sigidi
4th November 2006, 08:13 AM
jugglingogre,

how thick was ya peice of timber?
Being a mobile sawmiller I come across trash in timber all the time, most times hardware in timber has a terrible blackening effect on the timber. it almost speaks to me now, goading me, daring me to bring my TCT near it :)

craigb
4th November 2006, 08:23 AM
Glad to hear you escaped.

This is the reason I ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear eye protection whenever I operate ANY machine. Even if I'm only making one small cut. I figure it's worth the extra couple of seconds it takes to put them on.

AlexS
4th November 2006, 10:16 AM
Although there may be no visible damage, one of the tips may be damaged. A projectile tip is not a nice thing to catch. One of the reasons I always wear full face protection.

echnidna
4th November 2006, 11:13 AM
Over the years I've copped the odd bit of debris in the face.
Some hurt even when wearing glasses
Nowadays I always wear a full face mask on the saw, lathe or router table

Chris Parks
4th November 2006, 11:37 AM
I don't believe eye protection alone is enough, always wear a full face visor. They are so much nicer, more comfortable and far easier to use. Once you try it you won't go back.

jugglingogre
4th November 2006, 12:57 PM
The face mask is now on my list of things to buy. As is a dust filter. Just waiting for some more money to be released to me so I can buy them.:(

We are saving for a house but after last nights escape I think SWMBO will come to the party on the safety gear.:D

One day I'll have a real workshop not a cubby house that I stole from the munchkins...

echnidna
4th November 2006, 02:16 PM
George Taylor Stores had twin cartridge masks for $19 a few months ago.
They fit ok under a full face gardening mask

zenwood
4th November 2006, 03:26 PM
A very sobering post. Goes to show what powerful machines we use, thinking we're in control of.

I use a stud detector as a metal detector for recycled timber, and does a good job: certainly picked up some bits of metal that I would have missed by eye.

Doesn't a full face mask tend to fog up if you breathe on it?

jugglingogre
4th November 2006, 03:31 PM
George Taylor Stores had twin cartridge masks for $19 a few months ago.
They fit ok under a full face gardening mask

Hey thanks for the tip. I'll check out GT's when I go into town on Monday for a study break (exam on Thurday):eek: .

I looked in the local hardwares during the week and it was upwards of $50 bucks for the dual cartridge masks and that was the base model.

Chris Parks
4th November 2006, 07:14 PM
Doesn't a full face mask tend to fog up if you breathe on it?

No, just the opposite, it has a lot of air flow all round as it soesn't seal on the face at all. All those who wear glasses should use them as the glasses don't fog up at all. That was the reason I originally went to them though now I wear contacts but I still wouldn't change back. There are some that incorporate both eye and dust protection but I have never used those.

jugglingogre
4th November 2006, 08:41 PM
Sigidi

It was some laminated pieces of hardwood scrap that I was shaping to turn into a cutting board for a Christmas pressy for one of the outlaws or possibly my sister depending on how it turns out :D

There shouldn't have been any nails in the pieces I was cutting as it used to be the slats from a futon bed that I was recycling.

All I can say is shoddy manufacturing by the person who made it.

I had looked over the wood before I laminated it together to form the larger widths but this one must have been a snap off at one stage or another.

Doesn't matter now other than my saw and I are fine.

AlexS
4th November 2006, 08:49 PM
After thicknessing a staple last week (fortunately no damage) I tested one of the rare earth magnets I use to set the jointer table to see if it would detect the staple. Sure did, no problems. This was one of those thin wire staples that had been used to staple carpet, so it was pretty small, but the magnet grabbed it as I moved it over the wood. That's what I'll be doing with any reclaimed timber from now on.

soundman
4th November 2006, 10:15 PM
We've had a string of horror stories in the last few weeks, good to hear you are in one piece and not leaking.

carefull chaps.

bsrlee
5th November 2006, 01:58 AM
I'm helping a friend make some book shelves for his new flat, and he keeps trying to 'help' when I'm cutting bits on my Triton. I keep telling him not to touch, but he keeps reaching in to grab pieces as they come thru the saw.

So far, so good, no blood spilt or even really close calls, but I sort-of deliberately cut some small chunks - about 75x100x16mm - and waited to see if one would kick back (I used the mitre gauge to push the timber & no push stick) - sure enough one did catch & got flung about 25 feet. We'll have to see if he's taken this on board when he come over to do some more.