PDA

View Full Version : Bibles

jugglingogre
4th November 2006, 04:13 PM
Well, being in IT my bibles are my manuals on the various systems I have to learn the in's and out's and keep running. I've got walls of them at work and home and they go out of date about 5 minutes after they are printed BUT I couldn't survive without them.

I have learnt much through simply attempting different things on my projects but know there are many many tools and techniques that I simply don't know about to be able to improve my work.

My question to you all then is; What manuals, bibles, books, do you reference or recommend to a green woodie?

Other than you guys, I don't really have anyone to ask in the family or friends group as none that I know of are into making copious amounts of sawdust:D

Sure searching on the net turns up many many books but you can't always trust the content of the cover to tell me it is worth buying.

Just on the carbatech site there are heaps of tools I don't know about such as scrapers etc. What are the various planes for?

On another note, looking at some of the pics you guys post....do you buy a new clamp every time you visit a hardware shop??????:p

Cheers

Pete

echnidna
4th November 2006, 04:16 PM
have a look in the library, from memory there was some good books in Hamilton.

eddie the eagle
4th November 2006, 04:43 PM
Pete asks:
What manuals, bibles, books, do you reference or recommend to a green woodie?

Hi Pete,

There's three good ones:

JA Walton: Woodwork in Theory and Practice.

E Joyce: Encyclopaedia of furniture making (US: Technique of furniture making)
UK apprentices are trained out of this one

Collins Good Wood Guide
Our local apprentices are trained out of this one.

These'd be a good start. They're all still in print, and may be available second hand - Walton's been around since 1947, Joyce is a 1970's vintage.

Cheers,

eddie

Groggy
4th November 2006, 05:30 PM
I keep a number of reviews on my website, look here (http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Reference/books.htm)

AlexS
4th November 2006, 08:56 PM
Groggy's site contains good info. I was going to recommend the most thumbed book in my library, Joyce's Encyclopaedia of Furniture Making, but Eddie beat me to it.

ss_11000
4th November 2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23107

the link is to a list of books various forum members think are good. its even sorted into catergories.

craigb
4th November 2006, 10:03 PM
I was going to recommend the most thumbed book in my library, Joyce's Encyclopaedia of Furniture Making,

Yep. If you can only have one book, that is the one to have.

BTW, you can get IT manuals on CD these days. :p :D

jugglingogre
4th November 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm hoping the book is in metric as I can't for the life of me follow emperial instructions....must be a problem with authority or something:D

I'll see if I can find one in the local library else I'll be on the net searching for one.

As for the manuals on cd....sure, but I prefer the feel of a book in my hands to a the sound of a CD humming in a drive and a monitor glaring at me.

I can take the book anywhere I want.

Sure they cut down a tree to make the paper, but they also cut down a tree to mill the timber you are using on your latest project.

Gimi wood my friend. I'll take it as I can get it!

Cheers

Pete

craigb
4th November 2006, 11:00 PM
I'm hoping the book is in metric as I can't for the life of me follow emperial instructions....must be a problem with authority or something:D

I'll see if I can find one in the local library else I'll be on the net searching for one.

As for the manuals on cd....sure, but I prefer the feel of a book in my hands to a the sound of a CD humming in a drive and a monitor glaring at me.

I can take the book anywhere I want.

Sure they cut down a tree to make the paper, but they also cut down a tree to mill the timber you are using on your latest project.

Gimi wood my friend. I'll take it as I can get it!

Cheers

Pete

Well manuals are mostly published in pdf format.
Just print it!

jugglingogre
5th November 2006, 11:26 AM
Well manuals are mostly published in pdf format.
Just print it!

Well I didn't say they were all bought manuals! Most of 'em ARE printed and filed in folders:D

bent wood
6th November 2006, 11:27 PM
Jugglingorge ask do you buy a new clamp every time you visit a hardware shop.
if you are going to ( play )work with wood you will never have enough clamps one is no good buy in pairs. I have got 11 pairs and use them all.
I say( play) with wood because it sure is fun so enjoy it to the full.

Edward.