PDA

View Full Version : Stinkies Decking Dilemma

Sir Stinkalot
16th April 2003, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I have been commissioned by my sister to build a deck at her house. Currently she has pavers that are set at approximately 100mm below the rear door. The idea is to lay a series of joists over the current paving holding them in place with steel rods through the joists and pavers and simply deck over the top of these. Some questions have arisen over this method however and I was wondering if I could obtain some advise.

1. I would assume that it would be advisable to get the joists off the ground to prevent water damage, how can this be achieved considering I will have little space to get below the back door level.
2. It has been suggested that we can use treated pine sleepers as the joists. 200x70x2.4m (approx. $20). Is there a problem with this? I was thinking the high water content of sleepers would cause problems when drying.
3. Is there any problem with building a deck over a paved area?

Thanks for the advice.
:confused:

DPB
16th April 2003, 01:03 PM
A very simple problem, Stinker!

Simply raise the entire house to a level that will allow you to have as much space under the decking as needed.

And you expected a serious answer?

:cool:

DaveInOz
16th April 2003, 02:06 PM
Not what you asked but ....

why not lift a few pavers to install gal stirrups, bury them as deep as you need to to hold the joists, if your keen you can even relay the pavers around the stirrup.
This may be a rubish idea, but it is an idea.

That or as DBP said, lift the house

Sir Stinkalot
16th April 2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far … I was trying to avoid gal stirrups as it would be too much effort for me with no rewards, :p I have seen small decks floating over the ground as described so I thought I would give it a go.
I could raise the house but its on a slab and I don’t want to have to redo the gate I made last month.

Gino
16th April 2003, 08:00 PM
Stinky.

I recon if you end up using treated pine I would go for the stuff which is rated as being able to be buried, in this way if it is continuouly wet/damp it will resist rot much better.
I have seen many years ago plastic sleepers which were made out of recycled plastic, these should out last anything. You'll need to screw into them though.
Don't ask where I saw them as I can't remember.
If you do use wood, I would put a slit through them at various intervals so they won't have the tendency to curve and at the same time do secure them to the ground by angle brackets of some description.

Though you could just fill in the lot with concrete and pave over that.

Good luck

G

Jon
17th April 2003, 02:26 PM
I have seen this done on one of those home renovation shows.

At bunnies or similar you can buy these things that are a pair of plastic wedges that lock togther. You start off with them, skinny ends just overlapping with the joist sitting on the overlap and as you slide the wedges togther the joist is raised. When you get the joist at the correct height you wack a nail through the joist and wedges locking them all together.
Have I made sense?
Maybe the pretty picture will do it better.

Don't tell anyone else on this forum, they will pour scorn on me, but I might be going down there this afternoon and will have a look for them.

Jon

Sir Stinkalot
17th April 2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks Jon, I did see that when it was on the TV but they used an explosive ramset unit to fire into the concrete which cannot be hired. I will post some pic to give some idea of what I plan to do. I think it would be ok to have treated pine on the pavers as they will still have gaps between to allow water to escape. Most of the deck will be under cover. I am still wondering if the sleepers are a good choice or not.

Thanks ;)

Sir Stinkalot
17th April 2003, 03:59 PM
Sorry I dont know how to post two images in one post.

Jon
19th April 2003, 10:56 AM
Stinky,

couldn't find the wedges at bunnies. I know they used a ramset on the show but I am sure if you could find some way of locking the deck to the ground to prevent lateral movement like your rod idea (stainless or gal?), you could just use shorter nails and only nail into, not through the wedges.

Please let us (me) know how you progress as my father in law is looking at a similar deck over concrete and I will be the bunny doing the work.

Jon:)

JackoH
19th April 2003, 12:04 PM
I' ve just torn up the decking at our new house, as there is very good concrete under and I am going to tile it when I've plucked up enough courage to tackle the job!
Perhaps Stinky and I should swap houses and solve both our problems.
(Just thought I'd throw that in. Sorry!)