PDA

View Full Version : Steel cutter

RobP
5th November 2006, 12:41 PM
Greetings all
I have a lot of cuts to make in 32mm square, 2mm wall thickness aluminium tube. Is the Triton Steel Cutter suitable for this work or is there a better alternative?
Thanks
Rob

Felder
5th November 2006, 12:57 PM
Sit tight, RobP.

If no other forum member can answer your question, you'll just have to wait till "Stuart." sees this post. I seem to recall him demo-ing the steel cutter at the Victorian Timber & Working With Wood Show a few weeks ago. ;)

Grahame Collins
5th November 2006, 02:55 PM
For that size stock a decent size circular saw with a TC blade is a very cost effective unit placed along side of the Triton.

Before the flames from the Triton philes arrive, I would like to point out that my background is that of a metal fabber.
Having a unit that will only cut 90 or 45 angles is about as useful as a screen door in a submarine.I would want my $500 machine to do more than cut 45s and 90s.

Check out the ali fab places .They all use compound mitre saws with TC blades for docking and cutting stock to angles.

If you ahave heaps to do make yourself a cutting jig out of solid ply.Much cheaper especcially if you already have your own saw.Special TC blades are available for aluminium but I think you may get by with a wood version.
Caution note here.watch the little Ali flakes that come off the cut they can float about in the air and get into all sorts of places.Full PPE required OK!
My 2c worth
Grahame

Stuart
5th November 2006, 10:48 PM
The Triton steel cutter would love it, and do it easily. Of course Grahame does offer a workable alternative, but the Steel Cutter was designed for just this sort of work - consistent, easy, safe. The adjustable stop makes repetative cuts a breeze.

Because it is Al and not steel, you will need to clear the blade of buildup every dozen cuts or so - easily done - have a piece of mild steel RHS nearby and make a cut into that to clean the blade.

Al will cause so little wear on the blade that you will get 1000s of cuts without any drama at all.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

If you were in Melbourne, you'd be welcome to try my cutter out to see if you like the result. Up there, check out the Triton demo schedule, and contact the store before the demo, and see if they can ask the demonstrator to bring his Steel Cutter to the demo.

RobP
6th November 2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys.
I've just had a look at the demo video from the Triton website and I'm impressed, especially by the safety features. As I only need 90 & 45 degree cuts for this job, it's not a limiting factor. I think I'll be going to Bunnings tomorrow to pick one up.
Cheers
Rob

THE OLD BOY
6th November 2006, 02:23 PM
just remember to read the book and have the blade running befor engaging the in the material

silentC
6th November 2006, 02:39 PM
I don't know anything about the Triton. Is it an abrasive disk blade? I use my Makita SCMS to cut aluminium. Same blade I use to cut timber with (the one that came with the saw). That's all you need. I've got a GMC cutoff saw too, which I use for steel. But the blades wear out pretty quick. What's best? Not sure. I used to make aluminium windows and we always used a TC blade in a drop saw.

Stuart
6th November 2006, 02:49 PM
It is a TCT blade, designed specifically for cutting metal. The steel cutter is like other drop saws in that respect, running a steel cutting TCT blade rather than a wood one, but with a lot of safety aspects built in.

RobP
24th November 2006, 02:13 PM
Hi all
Well I got my steel cutter and have been having lots of fun with it.
Here's the result. I've never done anything like this before so I'm rather pleased with the outcome. Built pretty much to the original Triton design. Still a little more work to do though.
Cheers
Rob

silentC
24th November 2006, 02:19 PM
Hey, is $299 a good price for one of these? Saw one down at Mitre 10 on special for that. Worth snapping up?

Stuart
24th November 2006, 02:24 PM
Well that makes it $270 at Bunnies....:rolleyes:

Normally about $360 arn't they?

RobP
24th November 2006, 02:28 PM
Damn.
I paid $389 for mine at Bunnings and it was old stock.
It still says "A Hills Company" on the box and was covered with a thick layer of dust.

Stuart
24th November 2006, 02:31 PM
That is a bugger. Shed (glasshouse?) looks good though - how much did the steel, brackets etc cost you?

RobP
24th November 2006, 03:03 PM
Hi Stuart
That's not the half of it.
I paid $327 for my 235 mm saw at Bunnings only to find it sub $200 at the clearance centre a fortnight later.
It's a shade house for my Dendrobium orchids.
65 metres of 32x32x2 Aluminium tube $500.
Brackets (approximately 80) $1 each from the clearance centre.
Self-drilling screws $30.
Cement pavers $7 each.
Cheers
Rob

Stuart
24th November 2006, 03:11 PM
Excellent stuff. You have given me a definite idea for the (long proposed) extension that I desperately need to do to my (long suffering) shed!