PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Face Plate

Michael_Bike
5th November 2006, 04:13 PM
Hello all,
I have a Leda mini lathe (that I think is superb) that I am learning to use!! I have been running the lathe with the face plate on the threads and using the mt2 spur driver. When I went to remove the face plate it wouldn't budge.:eek:
How can I remove the face plate?
What can I do to stop this happening again?
I've read the lathe manualbut it is a little skimpy on information!!!

Thanks

Michael

lubbing5cherubs
5th November 2006, 04:32 PM
To get mine off hubby got an old screwdriver and cut the end off so now it looks like a bit of rod with a handle that fits neatly in the hole. Put in the hole and Now I can unscrew mine off my leda.
HTH
Toni

DJ’s Timber
5th November 2006, 04:35 PM
Did you get a spanner to fit the faceplate? Normally I give the spanner a quick rap with a block of wood and it will snap open.

Try putting a nylon or leather washer on next time, this will stop the metal contact which locks the faceplate on.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2006, 05:43 PM
I've a couple of homemade faceplates that don't have flats for a spanner.

I simply made up a steel bar, about 12" long with a couple of nut'n'bolts through it, spaced to fit in the faceplate's screw holes. I simply fit this to the holes. hold the handwheel in my left hand and give the end of the bar a smart rap with a block of wood. I do the same thing with stubborn chucks, only I mount the bar between the jaws and tighten 'em on it. Easy peasy!

As DJ said, make a washer to fit over the thread first, before mounting the faceplate, or chuck or... it makes removal a LOT easier. Mine are made from 6mm ply. :)

Joash
5th November 2006, 05:55 PM
I had this happen once, but it was so stuck, that we could'nt budge it(Dad, my uncle, and me together!) We had to get an allen key(we snapped everything else) An allen key is hardened steel. We had a 7 foot long tube, and we stuck that over the allen key, and then we all hung on, and it finally come off...after an hours work.

To hold it, we used 3 vice-grips!!

Michael_Bike
5th November 2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got it off by holding the inside mount with a strap spanner and making up a jig using two heavy duty nails to fit the face plate holes in a piece of tomato stake and giving a sharp rap with the mallet.
Now i'm a bit wary of putting the chuck insert on in case the same event happens.
Love the ideas of the washer - I'm going down that trackm
Michael

soundman
5th November 2006, 10:23 PM
Most turning suppliers should have plastic anti jam washers.
I know garry pye always stocks them... he wouldnt let me out the door without one.
put one on the lathe & leave it there ... permanently.

There will then be no more heaving, banging, thumping or swearing involved.

cheers

Hickory
6th November 2006, 11:37 AM
Simple solution. Clean the threads on both the spindle and the faceplate. Add a little lube juice or candle wax to the threads. but before you screw mount the faceplate. Cut a washer from the side of a plastic tub that Cottage cheese, or Soft Butter, or lid to Carryout, or one of those plastic containers that are all about. make the washer ID the spindle size and the OD the faceplate nut size. This will keep the nut from torquing too tight. The wax or lube will keep it from siezing,

Common problem needs a simple solution.