PDA

View Full Version : 12 hours of downloading

mlsa
6th November 2006, 11:46 AM
I ordered my Gifkins Jig this morning. :D Now if I could just talk the wife into letting me use it before Christmas if it comes in time.

I tried downloading the Gifkin's Jig video last night. It downloaded 12 hours and was only 47.2% downloaded when the power flickered. So much for downloading. :(

I cleaned up my stash of lumber in my shop. Boy was I pleasantly surprised to find so much nice wood that I had forgotten I had purchased last year...lace wood, bubinga, a little birdseye maple and lots of oak. I knew I had some of it but my stash had gotten so messed up I couldn't find half of it. Now it's organized and I know exactly what I have...

Gene

keith53
6th November 2006, 12:18 PM
Roger has a couple of boxmaking DVD's available which comprehensively show you how to use the jig. Also, the instructions that come with it are very intuitive and easy to follow. Shame about the download but you won't regret buying the jig. :D

bsrlee
7th November 2006, 03:00 AM
If you are on dailup, or want to download movies or other big files, get a download manager - there are several free ones available on tucows. http://tucows.com.au/. I use one called, strangely enough - 'Free Download Manager' also available direct at http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

With one of these, if your connection is interrupted for any reason, you can restart it next session from the point where it was interrupted - you don't loose what you have already got. This was a standard feature of most download protocols in the dim past of DOS & WIn3.1, but the 'new & improved' browsers somehow managed to loose this feature (subsequently making more $$ for dialup ISP's like AOL, MSN etc. when they cut you off mid session)

echnidna
7th November 2006, 07:54 AM
use firefox, it has a download manager built in, I think opera does too!

Doughboy
7th November 2006, 08:13 AM
Gene the other alternative is that if you have a friend with braodband get him/her to download it and burn it to CD for you and you will get it without the hassles and dramas of dialup.

Good luck with the Gifkins it is a great peice of kit.

Pete