PDA

View Full Version : creosote in firewood

scubabob
6th November 2006, 09:01 PM
i am not sure if this is the best place for this question but a friend of mine has been given a couple of old telegraph poles for firewood. He has cut them into suitable lengths (no, they werent good enough to make anything out of) and you can really smell the creosote in the wood.

question is, will the creosote stink his house out when it burns and will it give off any potentially lethal or such fumes? i've suggested he not burn them but he is adament that it will be ok. what the general consensus?

rowie
6th November 2006, 09:12 PM
he is adament that it will be ok. what's the general consensus?
NO WAY:eek: The copious amount of smoke it will produce will contain over 150 chemicals, some of which are known carcinogens.:eek:

echnidna
6th November 2006, 09:18 PM
rowie's got it right

DJ’s Timber
6th November 2006, 09:18 PM
Also any buildup of creosote in the flue can ignite, which is a common cause of fires in rooftops

Doughboy
6th November 2006, 09:20 PM
They are going to feel high as a kite by the end of the first piece of wood and by the end of the second I reckon they might be feeling a little green and the third................ well lets just say egt them to the nearest hospital and FAST!!!!

So my answer would be not the best idea.

Pete

bsrlee
7th November 2006, 02:48 AM
All wood has creosote in it - it is one of the 'tars' that occurrs when you burn wood with insufficient oxygen - which is why you get chimney fires, the creosote builds up in the flue, dribbles down & when it gets hot enough - WHOOSH - call the firies. It used to be (and probably still is, like Stockholm Tar) a by product of charcoal burning.

I think you mate with the wood really needs to worry about all the other chemicals that may have been applied to the pole in its former life - some authorities have been a bit slap happy with CCA (or is the ACC?) and other preservatives over the years.

Bleedin Thumb
7th November 2006, 09:09 AM
All wood has creosote in it - it is one of the 'tars' that occurrs when you burn wood with insufficient oxygen - which is why you get chimney fires, the creosote builds up in the flue, dribbles down & when it gets hot enough - WHOOSH - call the firies. It used to be (and probably still is, like Stockholm Tar) a by product of charcoal burning.

I think you mate with the wood really needs to worry about all the other chemicals that may have been applied to the pole in its former life - some authorities have been a bit slap happy with CCA (or is the ACC?) and other preservatives over the years.

You are partially correct in as far as wood contains creosote. However the creosote that they use to treate timber is coal based and a whole lot nastier. I also suspect that what is sold as creasote preservative may also have added nasties.

I speak from experience when I say avoid this ##### like the plague. :mad:

I wouldn't even touch the timber without gloves, and as other have said burn it at your own peril.:eek:

mongrell
7th November 2006, 08:38 PM
was usin this crap to rotproof and termite proof some garden sleepers once and splashed some on my ears ,skin fell off and they started bleedin very careful of it now .

Bleedin Thumb
8th November 2006, 09:20 AM
Yeh the first and only time I used it I ended up in a lot of pain and the guy working for me ended up in hospital. I also saw a photo of a friend who got a good dollop splashed in his face. It looked as if he had done 9 rounds with Mike Tysone.
As I said.. stay away from this stuff. Its amazing that they ban CCA but you can use Creosote where you want.

ozwinner
8th November 2006, 10:05 AM
The fumes can make your skin hypersensitive to sunlight too.
Get any near you, go out into the sun and you will fry.

creasote has been done before, so do a search on it.

Al :eek: