PDA

View Full Version : Advice

yairfe
19th April 2003, 06:31 AM
My DN 330 Black & Decker has served me faithfully in the last 20 years or so.
Can someone help me with this problem: using the rip fence, the band won't make a parallel cut. Instead of a cut "from north to south" it goes from north to south-west, a deviation of 2-4 degrees. Cutting without the rip fence I cheat the machine and feed the stock maintaining this deviation.
The same happens when I use the changing angle guide: I have to fix it to 2-4 degrees (instead of 0 degrees) - in order to get a right-angle cut.
I set the band tension, the band position on the wheel, and the guiding-blocks as required - but there was no improvement.
Any insight?

Dean
19th April 2003, 08:03 AM
Obviously, the blade is deviating during the cut...

Could try:

1) Using a wider resawing blade (from front to back that is). Something like a 3/4" blade will generally deviate less than a thinner blade.

2. Ensure thwe upper blade guide assembly sits perhaps only a couple of cm above the top of your wood beign cut.

3. slow the feed rate down (might be pushing too fast?)

Otherwise, you almost answered your own question, allow for deviation by adjusting feed to counter deviation.

yairfe
19th April 2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Dean!

trevorZ
19th April 2003, 08:48 AM
In my experience with bandsaws blades I have noticed that the set on the teeth can vary quiet a bit ,some teeth have none ,a couple may lay to one side and the set may vary.Remove your blade and have a good look along your blade and check out the set on the teeth and see if it looks even both sides .The set on any saw blade must be good for it to cut straight.
While on the subject ,does anyone know how much set would be on a bandsaw blade? (3/8,6tpi. 1/2 3 skiptooth)

yairfe
19th April 2003, 08:52 AM
Trevor,

Thanks for info!

Robert WA
19th April 2003, 12:04 PM
This is a perennial problem for those who resaw with bandsaws.
There are fences that can be adjusted to allow for the deviation.
My method is to have a pivot point protruding from the fence, it just slips over the top of the fence, immediately beside the blade so that I can adjust the line of the timber away from the line of the fence to allow for the deviation. The timber rests against the point of the pivot rather than against the side of the fence.
If the deviation is 2 degrees, then I feed the work at an angle of 2 degrees off line. It is all done by eye and you need to mark the top edge of the work.
Lots of tension, a good, well sharpened and firmly supported blade and a steady feed rate does the trick.
I have yet to find a bandsaw blade that cuts absolutely true, but some are certainly much better than others.

yairfe
19th April 2003, 07:08 PM
Robert,

Thank you for your help!

DPB
21st April 2003, 09:42 AM
Check this.

http://www.woodmall.com/projects/resaw_guide.html

yairfe
22nd April 2003, 05:34 AM
Thanks. It looks good! I'll try it.

trevorZ
22nd April 2003, 09:58 AM
aaaaa

trevorZ
22nd April 2003, 10:07 AM
Dont take any notice of aaa ,I was trying to attach a drawing of a guide and it wont attach and I got sick of typing the text.I've got an i mac computer and sometimes they talk a different language.

trevorZ
25th April 2003, 09:35 AM
Resaw guide