PDA

View Full Version : Matching Sydney blue gum

Big Bod
8th November 2006, 03:16 PM
I am currently preparing a Sydney blue gum bar top approximately 2400 x 900. While sanding I uncovered a soft defect approximately 100 x 50 x 6mm (damn) right in the middle of the piece. Th defect has now been removed. I have been advised that TimberMate woodfiller is one of the best to use to fill the defect area. I have selcted Jarrah but want to know if I can mix some dust from the sanding to the filler to attain a truer colour of the filler? I intend finishing the bar top with Wattyl 2 pack 7008 finsih.

AlexS
8th November 2006, 06:44 PM
It's always difficult to get a good colour match. I'd be filling it with casting resin, with some darker pigment, so it looks like a gum vein. It'll be noticeable, but will look like a feature rather than a patch.

The mods will probably move this to a more appropriate forum.

Carry Pine
8th November 2006, 10:21 PM
[quote=AlexS;406831]It's always difficult to get a good colour match. I'd be filling it with casting resin, with some darker pigment, so it looks like a gum vein. It'll be noticeable, but will look like a feature rather than a patch.

That was done to our kitchen benchtop and it looks like it was meant to be.

Carry Pine

Repete
8th November 2006, 11:09 PM
Hi, have you considered routing out the defect & grain matching instead of filling?......Peter