PDA

View Full Version : Advice on overhead table saw guard

Al B
9th November 2006, 06:06 PM
I was thinking of making an overhead guard for my tablesaw to incorporate with the dust extraction that is currently going to the table saw cabinet.
I just have a couple of questions
Are the overhead guards worth having from a dust/chip collection side of things.
What diameter hose should I use to connect to the guard,

Any other information on overhead guards that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Had posted this in the metalwork section but thought this may be a better place to post.

Ironwood
9th November 2006, 06:29 PM
G'day Al,
my mbs300 came with the suva guard setup, it seems to do a reasonable job. There is no noticeable airbourne dust while cutting.

The hose is 3", while the hose going to the saw cabinet is 4". The suva guard is adjusted independantly, as in it's not conected to the splitter, which is good, because you dont need to remove it if you dont want to do a full depth cut.

If you want some Photo's let me know. I dont think you would have too much trouble making something as good or better.

Groggy
9th November 2006, 06:36 PM
Al, if I were to make a "dream" guard:
suspend it from overhead beams and not from the tablesaw itself.
use a 4" minimum hose - with the majority of suction coming from the front of the blade (about 2" in front)
the guard would have clear drop down sides with a swept bevel so approaching wood will lift the sides up.
guard would be as narrow as possible, wide guards get removed when ripping narrow stock.
a lever to lift the guard up and out the way quickly (parallelogram or scissor lift type)
I'd have a hook for my earmuffs on it
a big red power kill switch
another switch for the dusty
storage for push sticks, pencils and rulers
mirror to see behind me.
mount a light aimed at the blade.Yeah I know - way over the top. Just ideas to consider though.

Harry72
9th November 2006, 06:45 PM
"mirror to see behind me."and dont forget the usb port !

soundman
9th November 2006, 07:46 PM
My overhead guard on my mbs300 started off with 1 x 3" hose, I modded it a while ago an it now has a 4" PVC pipe along most of the arm that then splits to 2 x 3" hoses to the guard.:D :D much better.

cheers

Bleedin Thumb
9th November 2006, 09:19 PM
Groggy, sounds like your after the swiss army TS guard!

BobL
9th November 2006, 10:16 PM
Mine is based on the Timbecon dustpicker and is discussed here.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34033

I would rate it's
- visibility, as very high
- ease of manouvreability, sitting where it is placed, getting it outta the way etc, as excellent
- dust catching ability even with 4" connection, as moderate to poor although the DC is only a 1HP and not really up to sucking on 2 x 4" lines.

I have since replace the nylon rope and spring clamp with a stainless wire straddling a couple of pulley across the top of the ceiling to the side of the shed where it is connected to 2L bottle full of water acting as a counterweight. This works very well.

Would I make it again - yep, it took about 2 hours all up to make.

martrix
9th November 2006, 10:21 PM
Check this forum member Wayne Davy (http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/) overhead guard.
I have made one similar, but not yet finished:rolleyes:

Groggy
9th November 2006, 10:27 PM
Groggy, sounds like your after the swiss army TS guard!:D

I figure if I dump all the ideas then he can choose the ones he likes.

Al B
10th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks so much guys for some really great ideas. It has given me something to work with.

If you want some Photo's let me know.
Yes please that would be great if you could.

Ironwood
10th November 2006, 06:20 PM
Yes please that would be great if you could.

Tomorrow I'll try and remember to take the camera down to the shed.

Wongo
10th November 2006, 10:21 PM
see this
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=365386&postcount=26

Al, you need it mate. It will suck all the fine dust comes out of the rear end of the blade.

I was cutting a lot of MDF tonight, set the guard to just high enough for the mdf to go through. I could see a lot of fine dust trapped inside the guard and got sucked away by the DC. No kidding.

:)

Ironwood
11th November 2006, 10:59 PM
Al,
heres some pics as promised. The guard is adjustable up and down, as well as sideways, which helps get it out of the way, if need be.

The way the support arm is set up, it still allows the fence to be moved fully to the right. It's a bit wobbly, I'm sure you could make something a bit more rigid.You might be able to attach it to the roof, or off the wall maybe.

It does get in the way at times, especially when ripping thin sections using a pushstick. Maybe a bit different design with a straight up and down side, instead of the angles, (on the right hand side). Might make it easier to use a push stick

As has been already said, it may work better with a 4" hose

Al B
12th November 2006, 06:01 PM
Al, you need it mate.

Thanks Wongo I agree with you.

Al, heres some pics as promised.

Brad thanks for the pictures and the information.

Andy Mac
12th November 2006, 06:39 PM
We've got something called the Excaliber(sp?) at work, I'll try to take a photo, but the great feature of the design is the main support arm is also the dust extraction tube, so no extra plumbing or support members. It also telescopes, so can be pushed aside when doing cuts where the guard interferes.

Cheers,