PDA

View Full Version : Perspex screen - can colour be changed?

katydid
11th November 2006, 11:34 AM
We have just had a perspex screen installed between our BBQ and next door. Today the neighbours complained about the colour. Is their any way to change the colour (apart fom buying a new screen).

journeyman Mick
12th November 2006, 12:14 AM
Does your neighbour check to see of you like the colour/pattern of their curtains before installation or offer to change them if they're not to your liking?:confused: I thought not, :rolleyes: I'd tell them (nicely) to bugger off :eek: . The only way to change the colour of the screen would be to paint over it, in which case it's pretty pointless having perspex as it will be opaque.

I get on well with my neighbours and will do anyhing reasonable to keep relations good. Changing decor is not reasonable in my book.

Mick

Harry72
12th November 2006, 03:11 AM
Long as your house is not subject to a local building code there's nothing they can do... other than be at you.

ozwinner
12th November 2006, 09:23 AM
Hey Mick.
Those new tiles you have in the new kitchen just dont do it for me, you need to change them.

Al :)

masoth
12th November 2006, 10:00 AM
Assuming the screen was erected to hide some unsightly aspect of your neighbour's property I think like the others - too bad! :(
But, if you are prepared to go to some expense, I suggest erecting another "layer" of perspex on the neighbour's side (if possible), in a colour acceptable to them; this, of course depends on cost and I would ask the neighbour to contribute if they are so distracted.

echnidna
12th November 2006, 10:17 AM
or stick a bit of shadecloth over it

Bleedin Thumb
12th November 2006, 10:26 AM
I would suggest to them that they put a screen behind yours on their side of the fence, then they can pick any colour they want.

felixe
12th November 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm with mick, tell them to Jammit!!:eek:

Barry_White
12th November 2006, 03:00 PM
If you really wanted to change it and keep your neighbours on side you could perhaps put some window tint film over it.

China
13th November 2006, 10:30 PM
Forget all the pussy footing as suggested by some others if they don't like it tell them not to look at it

katydid
16th November 2006, 07:11 PM
Well thankyou all for your responses. I have since found out that A. You cannot apply (successfully) any kind of film, nor can you paint it in the ordinary manner - these materials will not adhere to the perspex.
You

katydid
16th November 2006, 07:27 PM
You can however paint it provided you first use a spray-on adhesive primer usually used to prime automotive parts such as bumper bars. After applying this product according to the directions on the can, I spray painted the neighbours side of the perspex several shades of blue - which, since the perspex was orange, on our side now looks a variety of shades of brown - and looks way better than it did before - and our neighbour paid for the paint!

Bleedin Thumb
17th November 2006, 10:18 AM
Win Win I'd say. You got all these comments from all these learned people, ignored them and did a good job. Way to Go!

silentC
17th November 2006, 10:39 AM
Well, good luck with that. I don't know how long it will look good for. Perspex on it's own is bad enough after several years of exposure to UV.

Seeing as it's opaque now, was there a reason you wanted to use perspex in the first place? Usually it's because you want to let light though. I would have gone for something like a hardwood screen or some lattice if it's just for privacy.

Anyway, something to keep in mind for when the paint peels off ;)

durwood
17th November 2006, 01:06 PM
Bit late now but you can paint perspex with acrylic lacquer just make sure the surface is clean and paint it straight on.

As it was orange you could have used a tinted clear (say blue) and the resulting brown would have been still translucent letting through some light. Acrylic lacquer is based on perspex its thinner melts perspex so adhesion is not a problem. Acrylic lacquer also is fantastic in sunlight so the result would last years, you may find the primer lets go from the perspex after a time if it does and you can peel it off try the acrylic lacquer. (this is the paint Holdens have been painted in from 1960 till late 1990's) At a pinch you can dissolve the perspex in acrylic thinner and spray it as a coat of perspex if you had a reason to do such thats how close the two products are.

I must admit I was with most of the guys "tuff luck" for the neighbours but as long as everyone is happy no problems.

Barry_White
17th November 2006, 02:55 PM
Bit late now but you can paint perspex with acrylic lacquer just make sure the surface is clean and paint it straight on.

As it was orange you could have used a tinted clear (say blue) and the resulting brown would have been still translucent letting through some light. Acrylic lacquer is based on perspex its thinner melts perspex so adhesion is not a problem. Acrylic lacquer also is fantastic in sunlight so the result would last years, you may find the primer lets go from the perspex after a time if it does and you can peel it off try the acrylic lacquer. (this is the paint Holdens have been painted in from 1960 till late 1990's) At a pinch you can dissolve the perspex in acrylic thinner and spray it as a coat of perspex if you had a reason to do such thats how close the two products are.

I must admit I was with most of the guys "tuff luck" for the neighbours but as long as everyone is happy no problems.

Thats the trouble sometimes by the time the person that has the right answer sees the post it's "All Over Red Rover"